Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New or Used 718

Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New or Used 718

Hello all, first time posting in the 718 room. No need to say how great these cars are, I think we all agree they are awesome. Anyway, I'm in the market to buy a Porsche and I think the 718'S seems to be the best bang for the buck sports car out today IMHO. So there are a lot of Certified Pre-Owned cars now on the Porsche USA site. It seems to me that a CPO car is a no-brainer, is there any real reason to go new? I'm open to most colors, and the only two options that are really important to me are Sport Chrono and Ventilated seat's (I live in Arizona), so finding a car on the lot with those features should not too hard.
The only other question I would have is what kind of discount would I expect to get off the advertised price for CPO? I know that depends on a lot of things, but just trying to get a ballpark idea before the real work starts. I will not be trading in a car, but I do have 50% cash to put down, don't know if that makes any difference. I've heard recent purchases of up to 14% off new 2017 cars. I know this has probably been covered before, so feel free to direct me to any previous threads that have discussed this issue. Thank you.

By the way, I'm a Porche Club member that drives a Cayenne. I want to be one of the cool kids. Just kidding, everybody has been really great in the PCA. But yeah, I want a car soooo bad!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:41 AM
DriveInHouston
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2018 Cayman 718S in September w. 11k mi. On the plus side, you get 6 yr/100k mi. warranty if you plan to keep the car that long (I do). On the minus side, you buy somebody else's spec (in my case no Chrono package and 20 in. wheels (I'd prefer 19 in.).

Nevertheless, I love it!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

If you can find the Spec you want in a CPO it’s pretty much a no brainer.

Peter
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by DriveInHouston
I bought a 2018 Cayman 718S in September w. 11k mi. On the plus side, you get 6 yr/100k mi. warranty if you plan to keep the car that long (I do). On the minus side, you buy somebody else's spec (in my case no Chrono package and 20 in. wheels (I'd prefer 19 in.).

Nevertheless, I love it!
how did you do on the purchase price, did you get what you believe is a good deal? Did you pay less than the advertised certified price? Reason I’m so concerned about the price, it’s because in Arizona if I buy from a private individual no matter where they are in the country, I don’t have to pay sales tax. So I’m hoping to get the dealership to eat all or at least a portion of that sales tax. Of course the amount of people selling these cars individually limits my choices greatly. And I’m sure they know they got me like that. Thanks for your response
Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Default DriveInHuston

Originally Posted by DriveInHouston

Nevertheless, I love it!
I just saw your personal message, thank you great info.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
... is there any real reason to go new?
It’s hard to do European Delivery with a CPO.

Seriously, that, and if you are really picky on options and don’t want to settle for someone else’s build.

If you only have one or two must-have options and don’t GAF about anything else, then a 2-4 year-old CPO Porsche is the way to go.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

My personal experience has been is that dealers don’t move too much off the price on CPO Porsche’s.

When i was shopping for a 2016 CPO CGTS I lost out on a few cars because i was too busy negotiating while the other guys were buying. Luckily I finally found a car that was optioned like i wanted and snapped it up.

I guess the lesson is if you find the car you want buy it because the nice cars sell quickly and the dealers know it.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I have found in the past & again on my latest purchase I took delivery on 10-30-18, that the dealers in Southern CA tend to want just as much or more for a used car than I can negotiate & order a new car for exactly the way I want it. Also I have found over optioned cars with high MSRPs with less room for negotiation and more games being played in the used car departments. If I was looking for something a couple years old CPO I would go new. If I was looking older I would go private party and stay away from the Dealers.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. Most CPO's are loaded with options that I did not want, but which jacked-up the price. If you find a CPO close to your ideal configuration - get it. I wanted a lightly optioned 718, and discovered the price difference between a new to my spec compared to a loaded CPO was not that great.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Surfndav
Racer

https://www.porschenorthscottsdale.c...-17935611.html
Hello everybody, still thinking about this, I spent last Thursday at the dealership trying to put together a deal on this car here. And I was just about successful when my wife shut down the whole thing. I don’t want to get into too much about money, but I’ve been saving my Porsche Penny’s and I’m about halfway to this car right now. I would’ve had to finance the rest, and my wife is a Dave Ramsey devotee. So yeah. Before this whole idea went down in flames the salesman seemed quite open to 14% reduction in MSRP. And by the way, I encourage you to check out the spec on this pace car, pretty amazing it’s got everything I want. The color is not my favorite though, and the interior is a bit unusual. But a solid car nonetheless.

So anyways quick question I know there will be a lot of opinions, but in another month or so I’ll have the kind of cash where I could buy a used 981S with say 40 to 60,000 miles. Or if I continue to save I could afford to buy a car like this in about a year with cash. I’m anxious I don’t know if I want to wait a full year. Just like some ideas to banter around, is it worth the wait, or should I get the car I can afford and enjoy it much sooner. This car will not be a daily driver it will be a fun car, weekend fun can car, so I can do sports car stuff. Definitely not a garage queen. Just looking forward to opinions thank you
One last thing, someday in the not too distant future all debts will be satisfied, and hopefully at that time some serious Porsche dreams can come true.

Last edited by Surfndav; 12-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

No link to the car you’re dealing on. Your link is to the home page.
14%-off MSRP is outstanding.
2- to 3-year-old CPO is not going to be that much cheaper unless it’s got unusually high miles.
Interest rates on cars are only going to go up from here.
Do you like what’s happened to the 911 with the 992 generation? Same thing will happen to the 718 in a year-ish or two. Factor that into your thoughts.
How long have you been saving your Porsche Pennies?
How long have you been married?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
No link to the car you’re dealing on. Your link is to the home page.
14%-off MSRP is outstanding.
2- to 3-year-old CPO is not going to be that much cheaper unless it’s got unusually high miles.
Interest rates on cars are only going to go up from here.
Do you like what’s happened to the 911 with the 992 generation? Same thing will happen to the 718 in a year-ish or two. Factor that into your thoughts.
How long have you been saving your Porsche Pennies?
How long have you been married?
I think I fixed the link. Not really worried about the interest rates. Even if I would have financed I would have got it paid in less than a year, which is about how long I've been saving. I've been married for 13 years, now. I do like the new 992, but the prices are getting up there. I recently saw something that stated the average income of a new 911 owner, and we are right there. I'm 57 and my wife is 50, we are paying mucho dinero to get out of debt as soon as possible. The goal being retirement, after a few more years of wealth building. And getting my wife to let me pull money from our income for a car has been like pulling teeth, which is ironic since she's a dentist.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

All below IMO:

Originally Posted by Surfndav
I think I fixed the link.
Yeah. Works now. That's a lot of options on a base 718. Options are the Porsche value killer. They don't add much value except to the purchase price. So, if you are a 'flipper' they mean serious depreciation and if you're a 'keeper' you may be paying for options you don't want or could live, easily, without. Or buying a Porsche without options that you really, really want. Porsche is unique in this regard: the ability to tailor to your desires. You can have only hard-core performance options or only luxury or - if you can afford it - both. And this also means that no two Porsches are ever exactly alike. This makes it harder to fulfill all your Porsche desires with a used one thus driving some folks to order new.

Not really worried about the interest rates. Even if I would have financed I would have got it paid in less than a year, which is about how long I've been saving.
Since your cash flow is sufficiently in excess such that that level accumulation is possible, then - IMO - you have no reason to (really) fight about this 718 unless it is exactly what you want. You already mentioned that you aren't blown away by the color. If you *loved* the color you'd *have* to get it, because Graphite Blue is (outside of the super-expensive paint-to-sample) NLA now.
I've been married for 13 years, now.
Long enough to know how much she spends on multiple examples of fashion items like jewelry, purses, shoes, etc. that get used once or not-at-all but look pretty on the shelves.

I do like the new 992, but the prices are getting up there.
The point of the question was not whether you liked the 992 (and its pricing) but whether or not you liked the changes: digital dash, interior redesign, etc. Assuming the 718/981 platform is refreshed for MY '20 or '21 it will get these changes. Thus you may want to get a 718 before the change or wait until after. But that depends upon what you want. (I don't think I like the changes so I'm angling for a 'pre-change 718.) If you want to wait for all the new tech then just keep banking the excess cash flow.

I think you'll have at least a year to order a new 'pre-change' 718 that is to your exact specs and more than a year to continue searching for one that's close (new on-lot or CPO.) Pass on this one, but make it abundantly clear how much money your not saving (eventually) by passing up a 14%-off MSRP deal. Then, when a 718 appears that you really, really want, you can pull out the 'hey-you-made-me-pass-up-the-last-one' card.

Waiting sucks. But, use the time to test drive and research options so that you know exactly what you want, can live without and cannot live without. If you haven't done so already.

Last consider ordering new, doing European Delivery and treating your wife to a European Vacation in the process. Might get her closer to boarding the boat.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Here’s my random thoughts:

Happy wife Happy life.

You stated “ The color is not my favorite though, and the interior is a bit unusual “ - sounds like your not 100% satisfied with the car and it seems like a Porsche purchase to you would most like be a long term car - find the spec that will make you 100% satified long term - buy with out any regrets.

Speak with your wife and set a target price for the car of your dreams and get her to agree to it.

Personally i wouldn’t go the route of a higher mileage car as it may get costly to maintain. I’d personally save enough $ to get a lower mileage CPO Car so you have as much factory coverage as possible. When I bought my CGTS CPO I purchased it with the intent that it was going to be something that brought me pleasure and no worries. I don’t want my “ toys “ to be financial burdens if they should break. I got lucky and found a really low mileage 2016 CGTS and it’s been trouble free for a bit over 2 years and 17k miles.

Also, factor in proper maintenance for your car. 1st annual ( dealer service ) is approximately $600 and the second year is about $1100.

Retirement goals are important, I’m 57 and semi-retired and I love it. If it was a choice between a comfortable retirement and a Porsche I’d mostly likely choose a comfortable retirement.

My final bit bit of advice is to save up more money and carefully select a car that’s lower mileage and 100% within your means and enjoy the living heck out of it.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 401 Posts

Used or new, I think the most important thing is to get the spec you like/want, pricing comes second as they are joyful toys so you just have to get what the heart wants.
You'll be able to customize the spec&do euro delivery when ordering new. To me buying new from the dealer lot isn't that different from buying used unless being 1st owner is a big deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New or Used 718