Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Porsche 718 Boxster Cayman (All) Side Intake Mesh Grills

Just FYI, we do carry the side intake grills for the 718, that can provide an extra layer of protection with an OEM look. All that is needed to install is a trim tool and 5 minutes a side! Take a look at www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Here’s an install video a customer created:

Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman (all including GTS) side intake mesh grills www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Old 05-20-2019, 02:52 PM
ychoi1216
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grills from Zunsport are easy to remove? or they are permanent? For cleaning air intake plastic we may want to uninstall the grills.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:28 PM
AGAV13
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duplicate post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM
AGAV13
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ychoi1216
The grills from Zunsport are easy to remove? or they are permanent? For cleaning air intake plastic we may want to uninstall the grills.
Very easy to install and remove. There is a tab on one side and a clip on the other. I use a small flat head screwdriver with some electrical tape on the end to push and pry the clip back then rotate out. It takes me less less than 1 minute per section to install/remove once you get the hang of it.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAV13
Very easy to install and remove. There is a tab on one side and a clip on the other. I use a small flat head screwdriver with some electrical tape on the end to push and pry the clip back then rotate out. It takes me less less than 1 minute per section to install/remove once you get the hang of it.
They do go on easily but they are a little challenging trying to understand exactly how they work. The last one goes on much faster than the first on.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Zunnsport on GTS
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I look at the radiators on my car and can't believe they're not going to take a rock hit sometime soon, at the very least resulting in some bent fins, so have been looking for the best solution for grills. Based on this thread and others, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the Zunnsport kit.

@OldJedi that install looks just great, IMO (and the gorgeous Sapphire GTS isn't too bad either) . There are some helpful installation tips in this thread, but if you have any more to share, please do. If my GTS could look like yours after installing the grills, I'd be happy.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:52 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob D.
I look at the radiators on my car and can't believe they're not going to take a rock hit sometime soon, at the very least resulting in some bent fins, so have been looking for the best solution for grills. Based on this thread and others, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the Zunnsport kit.

@OldJedi that install looks just great, IMO (and the gorgeous Sapphire GTS isn't too bad either) . There are some helpful installation tips in this thread, but if you have any more to share, please do. If my GTS could look like yours after installing the grills, I'd be happy.
After you are done, you will look back and say that was easy. It is the first 10-15 minutes that you need to figure out how they stay in place that will have you scratching your head. I first raised the car on the lift to get it eye level and even to where I was sitting in front of the car. It just made it easier so that I was not bent over trying to install and see what I was doing at the same time.If you have drive on ramps, they will do the same thing. I put blue painters tape on the lower edges where the grills will make contact with the paint to keep from scratching it. I started with the large out vents first. Put the grills in place and you will see where the clips wrap around the plastic of the grill to stay in place. Don't be surprised if it does not immediately seem right. After you see how the first one attaches the next one is quicker. I then did the lower outside grills. They kind of slightly bend into place and are held in place by tension against the plastic grill opening. I left the center open and last so I could get me hand in behind the outside grills. I did the center grill last and used a small hook tool to help set it in place and a small flat screwdriver to bend the tabs over that also wrap around the plastic grill edge. It is the wrap around clips and the small straight pieces on the edge of the grill insert that keep it in place with tension. If something big hits them I'm pretty sure they would lose their hold and go back into the radiator area. Of course if something big hits them you have a lot more to worry about than the grill inserts. Trust me, after you get the first side done you will see that it was easy, just don't let it frustrate you when you first get started.
The following users liked this post:
Bob D. (08-26-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi

Zunnsport on GTS
Those look excellent
Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
After you are done, you will look back and say that was easy. It is the first 10-15 minutes that you need to figure out how they stay in place that will have you scratching your head. I first raised the car on the lift to get it eye level and even to where I was sitting in front of the car. It just made it easier so that I was not bent over trying to install and see what I was doing at the same time.If you have drive on ramps, they will do the same thing. I put blue painters tape on the lower edges where the grills will make contact with the paint to keep from scratching it. I started with the large out vents first. Put the grills in place and you will see where the clips wrap around the plastic of the grill to stay in place. Don't be surprised if it does not immediately seem right. After you see how the first one attaches the next one is quicker. I then did the lower outside grills. They kind of slightly bend into place and are held in place by tension against the plastic grill opening. I left the center open and last so I could get me hand in behind the outside grills. I did the center grill last and used a small hook tool to help set it in place and a small flat screwdriver to bend the tabs over that also wrap around the plastic grill edge. It is the wrap around clips and the small straight pieces on the edge of the grill insert that keep it in place with tension. If something big hits them I'm pretty sure they would lose their hold and go back into the radiator area. Of course if something big hits them you have a lot more to worry about than the grill inserts. Trust me, after you get the first side done you will see that it was easy, just don't let it frustrate you when you first get started.
My buddy and I finally installed these grills on my car today. Many thanks to @OldJedi, whose instructions I followed to a "T" and allowed the process to go smoothly and quickly. To be honest, the hardest part was removing a section of the cheap masking tape I'd laid down to protect the paint; the lower right-side grill was an especially tight fit on my car and the tape kept tearing and getting stuck underneath. I used good green 3M tape on other sections and had no issues.

For anyone on the fence about installing radiator grills, I'd highly recommend it. After only about 2,500 miles, the number of bugs and small rocks impaled on my radiators was startling, and it was easy to envision a bigger rock taking out a radiator. Most of the impacts were high up on the radiators where it was hard to notice them when the car was on the ground.

I kept putting off the grill install because I wanted to use my lift, and one of its entry ramps was bent up in the air (don't ask,) making it unusable the last few months. Once the lift was back in action, this was job one. As others have said, the fit isn't factory perfect, but IMO it's more than adequate. I'm very happy with the results.

Quick Reply: Radiator Screen Protectors for 718 GTS