Sponsored by:

Cayman s turbo lag

Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 AM
bowenxue98
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman s turbo lag

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2017 718 Cayman s, and I was wondering if any of you who has the cayman s experience any noticeable turbo lag. How is the lag compared to the previous naturally aspirated cayman s? I plan on taking this car to the track a lot, so it is very important for me to be able to modulate the throttle response. The one I'm looking at is a pre-owned 2017 cayman s with sport chrono, pdk, PSE but no PASM nor PTV (plan on upgrading to coilovers soon after). If any of you have input, that would be awesome!

On a side note, has any of you been to the drag strip with your cayman s? If so, what times are you guys running? There seems to be a large variation of 0-60 and quarter mile times from online sources.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM
fosgate769
Track Day

I have a PDK S, the only time i ever feel anything like lag is when first taking off. I think its a combo of turbo lag and the PDK just being gentle. I AutoX and go to the track and haven't ever felt lag, once its running its running. Never drove a 6 cyl cayman, but drove a 2012 GT3 around a track and that had some lag (Cam lag)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

I have found in slower corners both Autox and track I need to start feeding the throttle in sooner than I did on my 981 CGTS. This is on a manual car. Slow in Autox is lower than 30mph in 2nd and track is in the 50mph range in 3rd.

Peter
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 PM
bowenxue98
AutoX

Hmm I see. So as long as the car is in sport or sport+ mode, the lag shouldn’t be noticeable right?

Has as anyone gotten drag times for the 718 Cayman S? How will it stack up against the RS3, RS5, C63s, etc? Obviously it’ll win on the track, but I can’t afford to go to the track every week.. :/
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Max torque does not kick in until ~ 2000RPM so this is a very small amount of lag. Just make sure you rev the car before taking off and drive in sport mode.

I have read the S is capable of 11.96 sec or so for 1/4 mile with PDK and launch control.

The old 981 S did not reach max torque until 4500RPM and had less torque which is typical for NA performance car but is what makes it relatively slow in comparison to 718.

Turbo cars are generally a different driving style and sensation due to the off/on torque curve unlike the NA car where it feels more linear.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

I had a 981 GTS previously and now a base 718. On track the new generation feels more powerful; the caveat being, stay in the torque band, which isn’t hard as I’m sure you can imagine! Turn-in even feels better; but I don’t know what that’s due to. But a bit more nimble, which makes it super fun.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Blk718GTS
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bowenxue98
Hello Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2017 718 Cayman s, and I was wondering if any of you who has the cayman s experience any noticeable turbo lag. How is the lag compared to the previous naturally aspirated cayman s? I plan on taking this car to the track a lot, so it is very important for me to be able to modulate the throttle response. The one I'm looking at is a pre-owned 2017 cayman s with sport chrono, pdk, PSE but no PASM nor PTV (plan on upgrading to coilovers soon after). If any of you have input, that would be awesome!

On a side note, has any of you been to the drag strip with your cayman s? If so, what times are you guys running? There seems to be a large variation of 0-60 and quarter mile times from online sources.

Thanks a lot!
i had a 2018 Boxster GTS PDK and the turbo lag really bothered me. It's very noticeable when first starting to go.
i even called the dealer about it. It was that noticeable. Once above 2500 RPM it was amazing.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:38 AM
bowenxue98
AutoX

Originally Posted by Blk718GTS

i had a 2018 Boxster GTS PDK and the turbo lag really bothered me. It's very noticeable when first starting to go.
i even called the dealer about it. It was that noticeable. Once above 2500 RPM it was amazing.
So I guess the general consensus’s here is that as long as we are above at least 2500 rpm and in sport/sport plus mode, the lag should be imperceptible. I hope that’s the case; I test drove a Cla 45 amg, and although I was staying up in the rpm (4000+), there was still a very noticeable lag from when I press the throttle to feeling the acceleration.

Does anyone have any experience comparing the 718 with other similar heavily turbocharged cars?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Blk718GTS
Cruisin'

So I guess the general consensus’s here is that as long as we are above at least 2500 rpm and in sport/sport plus mode, the lag should be imperceptible. I hope that’s the case; I test drove a Cla 45 amg, and although I was staying up in the rpm (4000+), there was still a very noticeable lag from when I press the throttle to feeling the acceleration.

Does anyone have any experience comparing the 718 with other similar heavily turbocharged cars?
More of my experiences:

2017 Macan Turbo - Almost non existent turbo lag. I attribute this to it having a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder with 2 turbos on top of its more than adequate torquey engine. I was so quick off the line. Amazing.

2013 Merc SL550 - Again no turbo lag, and again, a huge V8 base power plant with turbos added. Ferocious off the line, felt like you could pull tree stumps out of the ground with it.

So I think the issue with the 718 is the 2.5 just doesn't have the goods to get you going before the turbo kicks in, unlike the other larger displacement turbo engines. That's my theory anyway.

Last edited by Blk718GTS; 11-26-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

The CLA45 is horrific. I had a C63 and considered the CLA as an all-weather accompaniment; but couldn’t get around the power issue.

My Cayman partner is now a Macan Turbo and that is a delight.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 PM
bowenxue98
AutoX

Well I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 718 Cayman s, and I can say that there is absolutely no lag in sport and sport+ mode! There’s tons of lag on comfort mode, but that doesn’t matter for everyday driving! It’s amazing how the electronics are able to completely remove the lag.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Blk718GTS
Cruisin'

Well I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 718 Cayman s, and I can say that there is absolutely no lag in sport and sport+ mode! There’s tons of lag on comfort mode, but that doesn’t matter for everyday driving! It’s amazing how the electronics are able to completely remove the lag.
Right the S has smaller turbos compared to the GTS, that was the trade off. Takes them just that amount more time to spin up, so it was definitely noticeable. But when they hit, oh boy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman s turbo lag