Sponsored by:

new member & an order question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member & an order question

Hi everyone. I ordered a 2019 718 Cayman base in September. Exterior color is white & I went pretty light on the options - PDK, Cayman S wheels, Standard Interior in Black with Leather Package, Smoking Package, and Apple CarPlay. I managed to get an 8% discount by shopping my build around to a few different dealers in my area.

Salesman said delivery is January 19, 2019. Question - I should be receiving updates as my car moves through the production process, right? I received a copy of the Build Sheet when I placed the order. It says Vehicles Status: V200 - Delivery date determined. I have not received a single communication from my dealer or from Porsche since.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:26 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by AJAK
Hi everyone. I ordered a 2019 718 Cayman base in September. Exterior color is white & I went pretty light on the options - PDK, Cayman S wheels, Standard Interior in Black with Leather Package, Smoking Package, and Apple CarPlay. I managed to get an 8% discount by shopping my build around to a few different dealers in my area.

Salesman said delivery is January 19, 2019. Question - I should be receiving updates as my car moves through the production process, right? I received a copy of the Build Sheet when I placed the order. It says Vehicles Status: V200 - Delivery date determined. I have not received a single communication from my dealer or from Porsche since.

Thanks for your help!
Dealerships are hit or miss on this - I believe they can sign you up with an e-mail to receive updates(? not sure on this) - but 100% they can get the updates themselves. Salesman also are sometimes really good about checking weekly for a customer and sending them updates - sometimes they're lazy.
As much as I'd like rolling notifications or a website to go check every day, your best bet is to contact your salesperson and ask for an update.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:27 PM
joemis
Instructor

Your experience may vary - mine was as follows:
  • the only updates I got were by reaching out to my dealer.
  • per dealer dates provided by Porsche are pessimistic so as to reduce risk of disappointing the customer.
  • my car arrived 3 weeks earlier then Porsche’s estimate.
Waiting for your car to arrive is the worst, but worth the wait in the end. Enjoy your new car when it arrives!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 AM
rdmustang
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak for others but on my car it took a couple weeks after the lock date before I started getting updates. When did your build lock?

My dealer updated me every 2-3 weeks and would update me if I reached out more often.I received my car 4 weeks before the estimated delivery date.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM
AJAK
Intermediate

Lock was 10/2/18. I get the impression the salesman is kinda lazy. Looks like I'll have to reach out to him. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:28 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joemis
Your experience may vary - mine was as follows:
  • the only updates I got were by reaching out to my dealer.
  • per dealer dates provided by Porsche are pessimistic so as to reduce risk of disappointing the customer.
  • my car arrived 3 weeks earlier then Porsche’s estimate.
Waiting for your car to arrive is the worst, but worth the wait in the end. Enjoy your new car when it arrives!

Waiting is painful! Thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You'll only get updates when the car gets to V250, AKA your car has entered the build process. He may contact you before then to confirm your final configuration. However, he has to check manually to stay up-to-date on the car's progress, so the best thing you can do is ask him for the expected date on the following steps:

- Production date
- Port emden arrival/departure
- Local port arrival
- Dealership arrival.

Then you can follow up with him to see if they hit the expected dates, or if they're in advance
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fred V
You'll only get updates when the car gets to V250, AKA your car has entered the build process. He may contact you before then to confirm your final configuration. However, he has to check manually to stay up-to-date on the car's progress, so the best thing you can do is ask him for the expected date on the following steps:

- Production date
- Port emden arrival/departure
- Local port arrival
- Dealership arrival.

Then you can follow up with him to see if they hit the expected dates, or if they're in advance
This is very helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:00 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Most of my cars have been ordered vehicles. I get a general idea of when the car will arrive and then try to forget about it until it gets close. I found out for myself that by constantly checking on the status, it seemed to make the time go by slower than just forgetting about it. Everyone is different and handles the wait in their own way. I guess for me it is “the watched pot never boils” syndrome. My GTS was ordered and delivered early to the port and then another four weeks before we picked it up in Atlanta PEC. For me, the time went by faster not checking on it every week.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:24 AM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Most of my cars have been ordered vehicles. I get a general idea of when the car will arrive and then try to forget about it until it gets close. I found out for myself that by constantly checking on the status, it seemed to make the time go by slower than just forgetting about it. Everyone is different and handles the wait in their own way. I guess for me it is “the watched pot never boils” syndrome. My GTS was ordered and delivered early to the port and then another four weeks before we picked it up in Atlanta PEC. For me, the time went by faster not checking on it every week.
I'm kinda with you on this. My only concern really was to make sure the car was actually ordered. I've read some horror stories about special orders not actually being ordered! Seems like mine is on track. For now I'll just sit back and read about all the fun everyone is having with their 718's.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:23 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If you are V200 it’s ordered.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
If you are V200 it’s ordered.
Good. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:35 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered mine on Sept. 18, and I was originally told January. I think they were able to slot my order into an allocation they already had. it went V260 (entry into body shop) on Oct. 2, and it got to the port of Emden (V331) on Oct. 19. The ship arrived in San Diego about an hour ago. My SA proactively let me know the V260 and V331 dates. I asked him to find out the ship name (Graceful Leader), which he did when it went V332. Then, I cyberstalked it across the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal and into San Diego.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM
AJAK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JKinOB
I ordered mine on Sept. 18, and I was originally told January. I think they were able to slot my order into an allocation they already had. it went V260 (entry into body shop) on Oct. 2, and it got to the port of Emden (V331) on Oct. 19. The ship arrived in San Diego about an hour ago. My SA proactively let me know the V260 and V331 dates. I asked him to find out the ship name (Graceful Leader), which he did when it went V332. Then, I cyberstalked it across the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal and into San Diego.
Nice! Early Christmas present.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJAK
Nice! Early Christmas present.
Thanks!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. I live in San Diego (between the pier and the dealership), and waiting several days for a car that is about a 45 minute drive away from the dealer, and 20 minutes from my house, will be excruciating.

Here's a list of codes. You should be able to call your SA and get the current status code for your order:

V200--Delivery date determined
V250--Vehicle fixed
V260--Vehicle entry to body shop
V270--Vehicle exit production
V280--Vehicle entry to CT-assembly
V290--Vehicle exit of CT-assembly
V300--Vehicle completion
V331--Entry port Emden
V332--Exit port Emden
U000--Entry port (the last three digits may change depending on the port)
NA10--PDI in
NA19--PDI finished
V810--Release for transport - Monroney printed
U001--Exit port (the last three digits may change depending on the port)
O400--Dealer invoiced
V900--Dealer Inventory

Last edited by JKinOB; 11-21-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Reread fist post, and realized you SA hasn't contacted you.

Quick Reply: new member & an order question