Sponsored by:

Ordering new 718CS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 AM
b1st
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ordering new 718CS

What do you guys think? I already have an X5 as a daily driver so this will be a weekend toy. I mostly just go the canyons in the LA area and perhaps go to the track once a year or so. I'm not hard-core into tracking, just enjoy the adrenaline once in a while. How much do you think PASM and Torque Vectoring will make difference in my car? I could see myself taking them off and getting full-leather interior instead with better seats. But since I will only drive this for a few hrs a week, I'm thinking I don't really need the creature comforts. Is there any interior color that goes better with Racing Yellow? Any must-have options I'm missing here?

718 Cayman S

Exterior Color
Racing Yellow

Interior Color
Standard Interior in Black i.c.w. Leather Sport Seats Plus

Performance
6-speed Manual Transmission
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Lowered 10 mm)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with Mechanically Locking Differential i.c.w. PASM

Wheels
20" Carrera S Wheels

Interior
Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

Audio and Communications
Apple CarPlay®

Delivery Experience
Porsche Experience Center Delivery (Los Angeles)

Total Price*
$76,645
Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

If tracking not a fan of PTV; it causes the rear pads to be destroyed very quickly. I went through the rear pads on my GTS in just 5 track days. Front pads were fine. All due to PTV. if not a track rat then should be fine.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t think PASM is necessary. The regular suspension is great for both daily and occasional track.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Take the smoking package too - free compartment cover + USB(?) port (and it's free).
Considering what you got it for, I think it looks good. Maybe consider GT Sport steering wheel (smaller diameter) as well, but overall I still think you're looking good.

I'd hate not getting Sport Chrono personally, but I think it's less essential on 6MT cars than PDK.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Yes, GT Steering Wheel is worth it. Love mine. Sport Chrono for manual is good only if you want auto rev-matching.

Also Power Steering Plus - I don’t have it but will add later. I think it’s worth the small $.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:30 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Also think about interior trim and belts in yellow - will make an otherwise stale interior look killer! I have Guards Red with belts and trim in red, and love it.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Sorry - also LCA. Love the new way it’s implemented and it’s not much $. The only “assist” feature worth having in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:29 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
What do you guys think? I already have an X5 as a daily driver so this will be a weekend toy. I mostly just go the canyons in the LA area and perhaps go to the track once a year or so. I'm not hard-core into tracking, just enjoy the adrenaline once in a while. How much do you think PASM and Torque Vectoring will make difference in my car? I could see myself taking them off and getting full-leather interior instead with better seats. But since I will only drive this for a few hrs a week, I'm thinking I don't really need the creature comforts. Is there any interior color that goes better with Racing Yellow? Any must-have options I'm missing here?

718 Cayman S

Exterior Color
Racing Yellow

Interior Color
Standard Interior in Black i.c.w. Leather Sport Seats Plus

Performance
6-speed Manual Transmission
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Lowered 10 mm)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with Mechanically Locking Differential i.c.w. PASM

Wheels
20" Carrera S Wheels

Interior
Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

Audio and Communications
Apple CarPlay®

Delivery Experience
Porsche Experience Center Delivery (Los Angeles)

Total Price*
$76,645
I would suggest Sportex seats in Chalk. I don't have the seats but the configuration with that option looks great to me. I hear they are very comfortable as well. White gauges so you can see then at dusk. I think PASM is great. Body color intakes look awesome to me. I also like the platinum wheels.
MOO. Enjoy!!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 AM
b1st
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Based on your feedback, I'm adding the following:

Smoker's package
GT Steering Wheel

Not adding these:
Sports Chrono - I don't care for rev-matching and doesn't seem to do as much for manual
Interior yellow trim - that seems way too much yellow for me
Yellow seatbelt seemed like a good idea until I saw this video. Idk, that yellow seatbelt on Chris Harris looks a bit ridiculous to me:
Power Steering Plus - I don't think I'll need it. If I do down the line, it looks like just a software update.

Just learned that you have to get PTV in order to get limited slip diff in Cayman. So gonna have to keep PTV (and PASM). Even if I do track, it'd just be a couple hrs and maybe once a year so I think I should be ok.

My dealer has Feb allocation available so it's now just a matter of some numbers.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM
gl3n_uk
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Take the smoking package too - free compartment cover + USB(?) port (and it's free).
£38 in the UK!

Just put my order in to looking forward to learning much more on here really good things so far but not posted until now. Like the specs you've chosen, think even at £38 the smokers package is worth it.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Originally Posted by gl3n_uk
£38 in the UK!

Just put my order in to looking forward to learning much more on here really good things so far but not posted until now. Like the specs you've chosen, think even at £38 the smokers package is worth it.
Congrats. Welcome to the Rabbithole...
Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM
gl3n_uk
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k3v7n

Congrats. Welcome to the Rabbithole...
thank you
Old 10-17-2018, 05:44 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Are you painting the headlight washer caps? Those come silver and to me look much better painted to match the exterior color. Or are these already painted on the S?

I know it was mentioned, but the Smokers Package adds a nice touch to the center stack and is a no charge option.

Not everyone's thing, but moving up to the 20" wheels in Satin Black would look great with yellow exterior and black interior. But then I prefer black wheels on them all anyway!

Congratulations on the order!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 PM
b1st
Advanced

Originally Posted by iammacey
Are you painting the headlight washer caps? Those come silver and to me look much better painted to match the exterior color. Or are these already painted on the S?

I know it was mentioned, but the Smokers Package adds a nice touch to the center stack and is a no charge option.

Not everyone's thing, but moving up to the 20" wheels in Satin Black would look great with yellow exterior and black interior. But then I prefer black wheels on them all anyway!

Congratulations on the order!
Thanks. I'm cheaping out on the headlights and just getting the base. I don't believe base headlights come w washer at all. I'm in Socal so I have need for the washers and I would rarely be driving at nights.

Good call on the black wheels but I don't love it. perhaps I'll paint them later into ownership if I get bored w the silver wheels.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

We have a 2017 Boxster and a 2018 Cayman GTS. The Boxster has a few options and the GTS has a bunch. The Boxster is a daily driver and the GTS a weekend car. These are some options we felt were essential:

LCA - works very well and is well integrated. It is in your peripheral vision when driving normally
Ventilated Seats - A nice feature in hot climates.
Heated Seats - Not always needed but nice to have when it is cold outside
Alcantera Steering Wheel - Always feels good, never too hot or cold.
Boxster has Red gauges and the Cayman has White gauges. Both cars originally had Grey tach gauges with white numbers. The light grey face with white numbers makes it difficult to read. You might want to consider either a black tach face or go with yellow gauges.
Smokers Package - Convenient 12v outlet with a cover and it is FREE
Chrono Package - If you can heel/toe very well, not needed as much. If you are like me and cannot heel/toe at all, it is a great option.
Multi-Function Wheel - just makes everything more convenient
PEC LA - The best Porsche option on the list!!!! We did PEC Atlanta and loved every minute. You are going to love it!

Choose what you want and do not be swayed by our opinions BUT, if you think you might want it, get it. It is your first Porsche, a car that you will never forget!

Quick Reply: Ordering new 718CS