Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:10 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Quick Update:

First and foremost thank you to everyone who stopped by our trailer and vendor display at the Suncoast Region PCA driver's ed weekend at Sebring. We are back home and here's our initial impressions after a few more modifications to our Project 718.

We mentioned earlier some heating issues with the car and our need to address that in the very near future. Last weekend we were at Homestead-Miami Speedway with PBOC Florida and on three out of four track sessions our car went into Limp Mode on the last lap of those sessions. We saw oil and coolant temps through the roof so the car shut itself down to preserve itself. We had just installed our COBB Tuning Accessport and were running their 93 octane file. The COBB tune is incredible and the car is an absolute beast, but just like before at Sebring the car suffered from the high Florida heat and no cooling. We ran some logs and were communicating with COBB all weekend. Those guys are awesome and were keeping an eye on the data for us.

Fast forward to this past Friday and we installed our factory center radiator upgrade kit (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8RADIATOR.html) and drained the OEM coolant/antifreeze in exhange for a water/Royal Purple water wetter combination. Dislcaimer: We live in Florida where we do not see freezing temps and our car is not street driven often so we don't need coolant/antifreeze. This is not recommended for all applications and regions of the world, please check with a local technician.

Temperatures were down 20-30 degrees across the board and the car did not skip a beat. Once again we ran the car in two run groups (Blue and White) on both Saturday and Sunday. The torque from the tune is a punch in the face and our PSM light was constantly flashing. We were playing with (and surprising) 991 GT3 and GT4 guys all weekend. We managed to tick off a 2.25 lap using the paddles in Sport Plus in white group with a bit of traffic and were hitting over 140mph on the back straight. That being said we are convinced that if you live in the south you NEED to add the center radiator to help with cooling.

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by and we'll see you again at Instructor's Weekend in a few weeks

-Suncoast Parts

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Carlos Hiraoka
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic information !

Thanks for sharin it ...

BTW any data on the air inlet temps ? Does the OEM chargecooler hold up to the increased boost levels ?

CH

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Quick Update:

First and foremost thank you to everyone who stopped by our trailer and vendor display at the Suncoast Region PCA driver's ed weekend at Sebring. We are back home and here's our initial impressions after a few more modifications to our Project 718.

We mentioned earlier some heating issues with the car and our need to address that in the very near future. Last weekend we were at Homestead-Miami Speedway with PBOC Florida and on three out of four track sessions our car went into Limp Mode on the last lap of those sessions. We saw oil and coolant temps through the roof so the car shut itself down to preserve itself. We had just installed our COBB Tuning Accessport and were running their 93 octane file. The COBB tune is incredible and the car is an absolute beast, but just like before at Sebring the car suffered from the high Florida heat and no cooling. We ran some logs and were communicating with COBB all weekend. Those guys are awesome and were keeping an eye on the data for us.

Fast forward to this past Friday and we installed our factory center radiator upgrade kit (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8RADIATOR.html) and drained the OEM coolant/antifreeze in exhange for a water/Royal Purple water wetter combination. Dislcaimer: We live in Florida where we do not see freezing temps and our car is not street driven often so we don't need coolant/antifreeze. This is not recommended for all applications and regions of the world, please check with a local technician.

Temperatures were down 20-30 degrees across the board and the car did not skip a beat. Once again we ran the car in two run groups (Blue and White) on both Saturday and Sunday. The torque from the tune is a punch in the face and our PSM light was constantly flashing. We were playing with (and surprising) 991 GT3 and GT4 guys all weekend. We managed to tick off a 2.25 lap using the paddles in Sport Plus in white group with a bit of traffic and were hitting over 140mph on the back straight. That being said we are convinced that if you live in the south you NEED to add the center radiator to help with cooling.

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by and we'll see you again at Instructor's Weekend in a few weeks

-Suncoast Parts

Old 10-29-2018, 02:21 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

Great info—thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the update!

What type of oil temps are you seeing?

I have a stock GTS model and I think the car runs cool. I haven't flogged it on the track but on multiple continuous AutoX runs, and heavy back road high RPM driving, I never seen the oil above 216 deg, even on 90+ deg days Seems on the cool side to me. One reason I got the GTS model was specifically because of the third radiator and my concern that the car might run hot with the turbo.

In addition when you put the rear spoiler on, did you have any concern about needing more downforce in the front. I see you put a front spoiler on. Did this materially change the down force? Is there any reasonable way to really access this besides tacking on the track and testing.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Great update. Sounds like that center radiator did the trick with the heat soak. Are those front radiators for different coolant circuits., e.g., engine vs intercooler, or are they all interconnected?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Semitone
Thanks for the update!

What type of oil temps are you seeing?

I have a stock GTS model and I think the car runs cool. I haven't flogged it on the track but on multiple continuous AutoX runs, and heavy back road high RPM driving, I never seen the oil above 216 deg, even on 90+ deg days Seems on the cool side to me. One reason I got the GTS model was specifically because of the third radiator and my concern that the car might run hot with the turbo.

In addition when you put the rear spoiler on, did you have any concern about needing more downforce in the front. I see you put a front spoiler on. Did this materially change the down force? Is there any reasonable way to really access this besides tacking on the track and testing.
Oil temp never went above 228 after the radiator. We have heard that with the COBB 93 file it runs pretty rich which can heat things up a bit quicker, but with back-to-back runs here in FL oil temps stayed down. They dropped about 15 degrees just during the cool down lap after a 25 minute session which is pretty good. We were seeing well over 250 degree before the new radiator and I don't know exactly what the threshold is before the cars going limp.

We are a bit concerned with the wing but it's a GT4 replica from NR Auto so we knew if we add the TechArt front lip we should be OK. Proportions are very close to GT4. It's never recommended to add a big wing without adding a front lip. We don't have a way to text the actual aerodynamic advantages or any drag created but the car is very planted in the corners as it sits now.

Originally Posted by donR
Great update. Sounds like that center radiator did the trick with the heat soak. Are those front radiators for different coolant circuits., e.g., engine vs intercooler, or are they all interconnected?
The intercooler runs off the coolant system in these cars (air to water) so that's part of the reason we swapped coolant for water and Royal Purple Ice water wetter.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 PM
donR
Pro

That's interesting about the water-to-air intercooler. I'd just assumed it was air to air.

So do they some how isolate the intercooler water circuit from the engine water cooling circuit? Otherwise it would always be trying to cool the hot engine water, which is never going to be below 195F.

What sort of intake temperatures do you expect with this system?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by donR
That's interesting about the water-to-air intercooler. I'd just assumed it was air to air.

So do they some how isolate the intercooler water circuit from the engine water cooling circuit? Otherwise it would always be trying to cool the hot engine water, which is never going to be below 195F.

What sort of intake temperatures do you expect with this system?
Sorry for the delay, we had to pull the log from the Accessport. The cooling for the intercooler is all based on the main coolant system. With the third radiator added we saw intake temps never go above 150F, water temp stayed at 194F the entire weekend, and oil temp would hover around 228F and drop 10-15 degrees on the cool down lap.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:00 PM
donR
Pro

Oil and coolant temp does seem good.

150F I assume is the charged air temp after the intercooler. I have no idea what that should be but still seems kind of warm? At least compared with an NA car. Is that kind of typical for intercooler output temps?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Carlos Hiraoka
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Sorry for the delay, we had to pull the log from the Accessport. The cooling for the intercooler is all based on the main coolant system. With the third radiator added we saw intake temps never go above 150F, water temp stayed at 194F the entire weekend, and oil temp would hover around 228F and drop 10-15 degrees on the cool down lap.
Does the cooling system use a typical thermostat ? Would be nice to have a specific unit that opens at less temperature for warmer weather / trackday use ...
Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is other info that states that the cooling system for the air/water intercooler is mostly independent of the main engine cooling system(only share the cooling reservoir). This independent low temp system would make more sense and be more efficient that using the high temp engine system. Please take a look at the photo on that other tread (link provided below). There are two additional radiators on the side air intakes just for that system. If this is true it will be great if CSF could build better cooling radiators that would take care of the heat soak Cobbs report. Also there seems to be an independant electric water pump for this system. If someone figures out how to manipulate how fast this pump works in conjunction with better side radiators, just maybe heat soak could be controlled and a stage 2 or 3 tune be created.

https://www.718forum.com/forum/porsc...track-car.html
Old 11-04-2018, 10:00 PM
donR
Pro

Chirstophorus also has a bit of an explanation about what is going on, although still not completely clear IMO.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/default...man-12753.html
Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Humpday Bumpday! We're back at Sebring this weekend for PCA Instructors weekend. Running the car in the White (Solo) group and the Black (Adv. Solo/Instructor) group.

We completed about 10 days on the Bridgestone RE-71R's and we ordered a set of Michelin Cup 2's to give them a shot and compare the differences. Those are being mounted right now. We also swapped out the AWE Touring mufflers for the Track version and the sound is intoxicating. It is a very aggressive sound in Sport and has a ton of loud pops and cracks. We have a video on the @suncoastparts Instagram page.

If you're at Sebring this weekend be sure to swing by our trailer and display and say hello.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM
AGAV13
AutoX

How has the addition of the COBB tuning changed the driving experience? Very noticeable or negligible?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, we haven't driven the car on the street since adding the Cobb Accessport and Stage 1 93 octane tune, but on the track the increased torque is immediate and the back end likes to step out a lot more now. Coming out of tight corners it's a lot easier to hang with a 991 GT3 until they really get some running room on the longer straights. The tune runs rich on 93 so heat increased but that's part of the reason we added the third radiator, and Cobb is in the works on Stage 2 once they can address the cooling factor.

UPDATE - Note from Ric: I drove it on the street, she wanted to 'step out' quite a bit. I have a 718 as a daily driver, very familiar with the chassis. When I got out of Greeny, I had the shakes. The same shakes I get while driving a 911 Turbo. It's a frickin monster.

Originally Posted by AGAV13
How has the addition of the COBB tuning changed the driving experience? Very noticeable or negligible?

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 11-14-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Suncoast Project Car