Sponsored by:

718 Cayman - rocks in my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM
ptshrdn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 Cayman - rocks in my brakes

I picked up a 2018 718 Cayman last December. Ever since I've had the car, I've been having issues with a loud squealing noise coming from the rear brakes. The noise is persistent up to 30 mph or so -- not just when I am on the brakes. It is clearly speed-dependent. The first time it happened, I took it back to the dealer, and they eventually came to the conclusion rocks had gotten inside the backing plate of the brakes.

I've had the car into the dealership 3 times now to take the rocks out. They claim that this is due to the roads I drive on and that there is no issue with the car. I find this impossible to believe due to the following:
  • It's the same wheel (right rear) every time
  • I drive between DC and Alexandria, VA, hardly an unusual commute, yet per the dealer, I am the only 718 owner reporting this
  • I drove a 911 on the same roads and never encountered anything like this
This recurs a couple of weeks after I take the car in. Now, they are refusing to even do that any more. I am completely disgusted with the car, which you can hear coming from a block away, and regret ever buying it. I'm looking for advice, either on the technical front or in dealing with the dealership. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:04 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2016 BMW M4. Ultimately (and quietly), BMW changed the design of the backing plate - I believe they slotted it so trapped rocks could fall out.

I found a reference to a tech bulletin on one of the BMW forums, and the dealer changed the backing plates on my car.

I will be ordering my 718 Cayman in the next week. I hope I don't have to go through that again.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are the only owner reporting this it's obviously your car and not the model or the commute.

Find another dealer.

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman - rocks in my brakes