Sponsored by:

Hi!!New 718 GTS owner:)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:06 PM
mazyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hi!!New 718 GTS owner:)

I just traded my 2017 c63s Coupe for a 2018 Cayman GTS. It has only been 2 days but I could not be happier. I loved my AMG but I spend my time in the canyons and this is the perfect car for me right now. I wish I could have kept both but I do not have the space in the garage.

I look forward to learning about the 718.

First mode will have to be getting my radar detector hard wired (I cannot find a cigarette lighter to plug it in). I did not get the smoking package. Is there one hidden away that I cannot find?

Last edited by mazyo; 08-08-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mazyo
I just traded my 2017 c63s Coupe for a 2018 Cayman GTS. It has only been 2 days but I could not be happier. I loved my AMG but I spend my time in the canyons and this is the perfect car for me right now. I wish I could have kept both but I do not have the space in the garage.

I look forward to learning about the 718.

First mode will have to be getting my radar detector hard wired (I cannot find a cigarette lighter to plug it in). I did not get the smoking package. Is there one hidden away that I cannot find?
Look in the passenger footwell on the bottom of the console. I know my BMW has one there. Can't remember about the Porsche and I'm not driving it today so I can't run out and check.

Should also have a plug in the console and glovebox.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM
mazyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Look in the passenger footwell on the bottom of the console. I know my BMW has one there. Can't remember about the Porsche and I'm not driving it today so I can't run out and check.

Should also have a plug in the console and glovebox.
Thanks for your help. I do not have the smokers package so it seems the only way to install radar detector is by hard wire which is what I would do anyways. I was just hoping to use the cigarette adaptor temporarily.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats on your CGTS.

I have a 2016 CGTS without the smoking package and I have two volt sockets in my car.

1st one is located in the glove box in the upper left hand corner, there’s also a USB socket there as well.

2nd 12 volt socket should be located on the passenger side of the center console. . Open the passenger door and look near the area where that useless little cargo net thing is and you should see it.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Congratulations with your GTS and best of luck with her.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:58 PM
mazyo
Intermediate

I got the radar detector set up but the power is always on. Is there a way tp set that 12 volt plug to turn off?
I think I may have to do a wire tap into the rear view mirror. Or wire it into the fuse box.
I will search the forum for how others have done it
Old 07-29-2018, 11:18 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mazyo
I got the radar detector set up but the power is always on. Is there a way tp set that 12 volt plug to turn off?
I think I may have to do a wire tap into the rear view mirror. Or wire it into the fuse box.
I will search the forum for how others have done it
Do check the "always on" as my understanding is that all the accessories time-out after 15-20 minutes.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Amiroquai
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Do check the "always on" as my understanding is that all the accessories time-out after 15-20 minutes.
Doew that only apply to the 12v that's next to the passenger left leg? Can't seem to get a clear answer about which 12v actually kills the power after a short while (less than 30 min), irrespective of the condition of battery.

I have a GTS with the smoking package to which I have a dash cam connected through a switched 12v splitter. This splitter has a voltage display and on/off switch for the power. So instead of plugging/unplugging the dash cam power adapter. I just have to remember to turn the switch on or off as needed.

I once purposely left it on and locked the car to see if/when it would turn off. It was still running 15-20 minutes later so I just manually killed it.

I wonder if this is different for the other 12v ports in the car
Old 07-31-2018, 06:26 PM
mazyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amiroquai
Doew that only apply to the 12v that's next to the passenger left leg? Can't seem to get a clear answer about which 12v actually kills the power after a short while (less than 30 min), irrespective of the condition of battery.

I have a GTS with the smoking package to which I have a dash cam connected through a switched 12v splitter. This splitter has a voltage display and on/off switch for the power. So instead of plugging/unplugging the dash cam power adapter. I just have to remember to turn the switch on or off as needed.

I once purposely left it on and locked the car to see if/when it would turn off. It was still running 15-20 minutes later so I just manually killed it.

I wonder if this is different for the other 12v ports in the car
I can confirm that the power does go off on the 12V port on the passenger side after about 30 minutes. Great location to run the radar detector cable. I am in no rush to hard wire now as I can live with this for now.
Next thing to do is to get me a multi function steering wheel. I know that I should have gotten this when I bought the car but it was the only thing missing and figured that I could get one installed. If anybody has info on this feel free to jump in.
From what I have read it should cost about $1800 installed.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 AM
mazyo
Intermediate

I had my first mods. Tint and wrapped the door handles and spoiler. Thanks to the guys that did it for me
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Congratulations. Very nice looking. Any interior photos?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Like the black-out look too

ThunderHill Raceway
Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 AM
mazyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guaji
Congratulations. Very nice looking. Any interior photos?
I have the basic interior with Alcantara delete in black. Nothing fancy. I had all the upgraded leather and carbon fiber in my previous car (17' C63s AMG coupe) and decided to go minimalistic on this car.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM
mazyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leecw
Like the black-out look too

I wanted white but could not find one with the options I wanted. At first I was unsure of the Chalk being that my last 4 cars have been white. The 718 is such a great car that I think I would be happy with it in any color. I cannot stop driving it. I already have 1100 miles in 3 weeks.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks incredible, congrats!!

Quick Reply: Hi!!New 718 GTS owner:)