Sponsored by:

Cayman 718 T !?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Cayman 718 T !?

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/07/porsche-panamera-gts-718-cayman-t-may-coming-2019.html

Can't believe Porsche found space for another model but they did.....
Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

A base for the price of an S lol why not!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:11 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche will always find a way to create another product, there are what 24 versions of the 911?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Laugh if you will, but the folks with 991Ts are ecstatic about them. They are a combination of base, S, and GTS along with some bits from the GT3 and are, effectively, a ‘cheap 911R’ for enthusiasts rather than for collector/squaters/flippers like GT3s.

If a 718T follows the same ethos it will be great and it will have a character that is noticeably different, for those that are not butt-numb, from the other 718 variants.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:49 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Laugh if you will, but the folks with 991Ts are ecstatic about them. They are a combination of base, S, and GTS along with some bits from the GT3 and are, effectively, a ‘cheap 911R’ for enthusiasts rather than for collector/squaters/flippers like GT3s.

If a 718T follows the same ethos it will be great and it will have a character that is noticeably different, for those that are not butt-numb, from the other 718 variants.
Right the 911 T has base brakes. The only things it has that are sorta unique is the light weight glass and the bucket seats. I didn't see much besides a marketing campaign when I debated getting one. The 911 GTS with no options is a much better option for only a few more $$$.

Peter
Old 07-23-2018, 11:55 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

PAG parts bin chicanery at its finest

911 T - spend 100K plus on a 'lightweight drivers car' that isn't appreciably lighter and you'll need to spend another 8 grand out of the box so it can properly stop -- brilliant! of course folks who buy them love them, you just spent 100 grand on the lump in your garage!

718 T - so let's see what they do and what they say to pitch this one... bargain 80K cayman with tinted headlamps and more boost on turbo 4?

said it time and time again: PAG are master capitalists and buyers are pigs at a slaughter
Old 07-23-2018, 02:03 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

I've read countless times about gearing being too tall for public roads and that's what the Carrera T fixes.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
I've read countless times about gearing being too tall for public roads and that's what the Carrera T fixes.
Ah, now that is very interesting. Thanks for that little tidbit.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
PAG parts bin chicanery at its finest
Absolutely. PAG is a master at mixing and matching parts to cater to niches within their niche.

said it time and time again: PAG are master capitalists and buyers are pigs at a slaughter
Given your signature your middle name must be Bacon, Extra-Crispy

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Right the 911 T has base brakes.
Big deal. Not. Base .2 has plenty of brakes.

The only things it has that are sorta unique is the light weight glass and the bucket seats.
Short shifter. Shorter gearing. Unique interior. Unique version of SC. Cheapest model on which you can get RWS. Just off the top of my head...

The 911 GTS with no options is a much better option for only a few more $$$.
If Porsche didn't offer a zillion options to enable a 'tailored' personal fit then that might make sense. As it is, that only makes sense to a subset of Porsche's market.

Regardless, using the same logic, once you've 'stepped up' to the GTS a Turbo or a GT3 with no options is a much better option for only a few more $$$.

With Porsche, you can always spend a few more $$$ to get a better Porsche until you get to the Turbo S. That's their game, and thus I'm not arguing that PAG isn't expert a up-selling to the point of pain.

Nothing new here. Just another model variant that will appeal to a sub-niche and attract the derision from those inculcated into one of the other sub-niches (e.g. Base vs. S. vs. GTS, FI vs. NA, MT vs. PDK, 2WD vs 4WD, etc.)

Bottom line is that, AFAIK, no one that owns a 911T has posted regrets that they didn't get an S or a GTS or whatever. They all seem to love it.

I expect the same of 718T owners should a 718T become a reality.

But, we'll see. The 718 doesn't have options that offer the same wide tailorable dynamic range as the 911 (PDDC, RWS, etc.)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Sure a GT3 is a better option than a 911 GTS if you could get one for MSRP.

For serious track duty the base brakes are not adequate.

Yes I am a minimalist tracker and don't load my cars up with options.

Peter
Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

"911 T - spend 100K plus on a 'lightweight drivers car' that isn't appreciably lighter and you'll need to spend another 8 grand out of the box so it can properly stop"
The base Carrera brakes are larger than on previous Carrera models which were able to stop just fine.

"For serious track duty the base brakes are not adequate"
What a surprise that you'll have to prep a street car - or any car for that matter - for "serious track duty" (= racing?). It's not a dedicated track or race car and it's not sold as such.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:55 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche almost had my money with the 911T. Almost. S brakes (painted grey to match the other accents) should have at LEAST been an option. I pretty much hated the MT7 in my 991 so they T needed either a MT6 (never happen) or I could have easily gone with the PDK but then I would have lost the lower final gearing and the mechanical limited slip which were only available on the MT7. Finally, I really wanted the LWB but NOT the Alcantara they force onto you. Why couldn't I get the LWB with the same T style Sportech center material and good old fashion leather steering wheel (w 12 o'clock stripe) and shifter?

Sure I could have had the S brakes painted to match and added and I could have had the seats reupholstered and steering wheel and shifter swapped out and I probably never would have noticed the lack of the lower gearing or LSD with the PDK. But at that point I might as well just buy a GTS or GT3T.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I just hammered a Carrera T on the PEC ATL track for an hour and the stock brakes never let up. I looked them up...they are the same size as the brakes on my 996 turbo! The same size as the top model from not too long ago that also weighs 400 pounds more.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Porsche almost had my money with the 911T. Almost. S brakes (painted grey to match the other accents) should have at LEAST been an option. I pretty much hated the MT7 in my 991 so they T needed either a MT6 (never happen) or I could have easily gone with the PDK but then I would have lost the lower final gearing and the mechanical limited slip which were only available on the MT7. Finally, I really wanted the LWB but NOT the Alcantara they force onto you. Why couldn't I get the LWB with the same T style Sportech center material and good old fashion leather steering wheel (w 12 o'clock stripe) and shifter?

Sure I could have had the S brakes painted to match and added and I could have had the seats reupholstered and steering wheel and shifter swapped out and I probably never would have noticed the lack of the lower gearing or LSD with the PDK. But at that point I might as well just buy a GTS or GT3T.
Originally Posted by jason952
I just hammered a Carrera T on the PEC ATL track for an hour and the stock brakes never let up. I looked them up...they are the same size as the brakes on my 996 turbo! The same size as the top model from not too long ago that also weighs 400 pounds more.
what we lose sight of here is this is still a $110k car, $120-125k delivered ... that we think of it as a 'cheap 911' speaks to how the narrative has changed... fact remains that the car is equipped with the smallest brakes PAG installs in the line, that it works for some on track is terrific, but using a basis for justification of 996tt equipment/performance envelope from 15 years ago is being generous

no doubt the T is the 'value 911' to those who accept the proposition, and that is terrific for those who do
Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
what we lose sight of here is this is still a $110k car, $120-125k delivered ... that we think of it as a 'cheap 911' speaks to how the narrative has changed... fact remains that the car is equipped with the smallest brakes PAG installs in the line, that it works for some on track is terrific, but using a basis for justification of 996tt equipment/performance envelope from 15 years ago is being generous

no doubt the T is the 'value 911' to those who accept the proposition, and that is terrific for those who do
BINGO and I did not lose sight of that. IMHO if one buys a T one must get all the stuff that makes a T a T like LWB, RWS, MT with LSD, light weight glass, and PCCB just to start. Add a very few other options and I was at $122,000. PLUS $12,200 in tax here is Los Angeles County plus about $1,000 in registration fees. So about $135,200 OTD. Not going to happen. Doesn't matter that I CAN spend that much money on it, I just don't WANT to. At that price I'll just get an S or even a GTS.

And full disclosure, I had a base 2016 for a couple of years that I AX'd and tracked. Stock brakes were just fine for me. Never faded, never gave me a problem (yeah I'm slow). So at the end of the day I don't NEED S brakes I just WANT them.

Quick Reply: Cayman 718 T !?