What did you buy your 718 today

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 PM
rdmustang
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKinOB
Hi All,

I'm planning to place my order for a 2019 718 Cayman next week.

I've already lined up some HRE R101 wheels (19x8.5 ET50 fronts and 19x10.5 ET40 rears) in gloss black.

I will be leasing for 3 years, and my driving is either city commuting or autocross in San Diego. So it will not be driven on a lot of back roads or in bad weather.

With that in mind, is the Xpel really worth it?

Cheers,

John
I did Xpel because I drive on the highway. I've had my car 3 weeks and already have 4-5 dings in my Xpel.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

3M clear bra Track Pack-Aug
Blendmount for V1-Sep
Saavy w OBDII flat cable -Sep
Rennsport Grill Protection- Oct
3M Window Crystalline CR40 -Oct
Clear Side Markers- Aug
Porsche 718 plate frame -Aug
Weathertech Floor mats - Oct
Porsche Battery Tender -Oct

Last edited by Max718-19; 10-30-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-18-2018, 08:46 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wine.o
- M/T Short Shifter Kit
- Smarttop module
Getting both installed by the dealer when the car is delivered in 2 weeks.
How much do dealers charge for the short shifter installation? It seems the parts are inexpensive.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:04 AM
mazyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Received and installed black aluminum trim that I picked up for a great deal in the market place. It really changes the look of the interior. I previously had the standard silver trim.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mazyo
Received and installed black aluminum trim that I picked up for a great deal in the market place. It really changes the look of the interior. I previously had the standard silver trim.
Nice.. Did it come w/ door trim too? I was looking at replacing mine w/ something more interesting but Suncoast said the door trim only cam with complete panels. I declined to have them quote it.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by k3v7n
How much do dealers charge for the short shifter installation? It seems the parts are inexpensive.
Was a bit annoyed as instead of installing and charging what they needed, I was told there was a "Flat rate" in their computer for such work and it would be 3 hrs. Ridiculous, so I took my new car home and popped the shifter in myself that afternoon. Being careful, it took me all of 45 minutes and required 1 tool (a T25 torx wrench, which I discovered I already had. Else $3 at home depot). Although the shifter I got was the Porsche model from Suncoast, I followed the video and guides for the NM400 from Numeric here https://numericracing.com/guides/. Really super straightforward and was glad I didn't pay someone.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:05 PM
mazyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice.. Did it come w/ door trim too? I was looking at replacing mine w/ something more interesting but Suncoast said the door trim only cam with complete panels. I declined to have them quote it.
It does not come with the door trim. Like you I have the standard door cards that cannot change the trim without replacing the entire door card.

Last edited by mazyo; 10-19-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-19-2018, 06:19 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Was a bit annoyed as instead of installing and charging what they needed, I was told there was a "Flat rate" in their computer for such work and it would be 3 hrs. Ridiculous, so I took my new car home and popped the shifter in myself that afternoon. Being careful, it took me all of 45 minutes and required 1 tool (a T25 torx wrench, which I discovered I already had. Else $3 at home depot). Although the shifter I got was the Porsche model from Suncoast, I followed the video and guides for the NM400 from Numeric here https://numericracing.com/guides/. Really super straightforward and was glad I didn't pay someone.
Nicely done!
Old 11-05-2018, 02:25 AM
dinomight
8th Gear

Hi all, I see most people go with the front end clear ppf and ceramic for the rear rather than wrapping the entire car. Is this a means to be cost effective or is there another reason ?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 AM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dinomight
Hi all, I see most people go with the front end clear ppf and ceramic for the rear rather than wrapping the entire car. Is this a means to be cost effective or is there another reason ?
Hi, based on a recommendation from my detail shop, and others here on the forum, I had the entire front wrapped, and the rocker panels. These are the areas most like to be damaged in either daily driving, or if you decide to track the car. It's also about half the price of wrapping the entire car. In my case, I did PPF followed by ceramic on the entire car (the ceramic can be applied on top of the PPF for added protection).
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 AM
rdmustang
Advanced

Yes, that's the reason. I didn't wrap the rear of my car as it would have cost another $2,000 and based on previous cars I've had A LOT of rock chips on the front but none on the rear. The only reason I considered doing the rear was to even out any fading issues over time. Without the rear wrapped it may fade at a different rate that the area that is wrapped.

Ceramic coating serves a completely different purpose than wrapping. Ceramic only helps keep dirt off the surface and makes cleaning easier. It does not provide any rock chip protection. Ceramic coating can go over wraps or over paint.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 AM
dinomight
8th Gear

@msacks Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide what to do with mine.
@rdmustang What do you suggest if the garage wasn't an option. Do you think you protection against the elements is a factor?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:59 PM
rdmustang
Advanced

@msacks Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide what to do with mine.
@rdmustang What do you suggest if the garage wasn't an option. Do you think you protection against the elements is a factor?
PPF will help protect against UV discoloration. Ceramic coating will help make cleaning easier. You can also use something like Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant with or without the ceramic coating to help protect against the elements. Ceramic coating and Paint Sealant will help prevent things like pollen, tree sap, dirt, etc. from sticking and pitting the paint. The best thing is to clean the car regularly with multiple protections in place.

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 718 today