Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between 718 Cayman GTS and 992

Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by steelesm
The first one I called offered 5% discount but requires a $5k non-refundable deposit just to wait in line for an allocation. My understanding is that non-refundable deposits aren't even legal in most states, including IL where I live.
Someone that is sure what IL's deal is will need to comment on the legality.

As for the rest, call the second dealer on your list. $5k (refundable or not) to wait in line on the off-chance that your first dealer might deign to assign one of their allocations to you if they feel like you are worthy is a steam pile of equine manure. Dealers know if they have allocations or not. Any particular SA knows if they might be able to find (usually via trade) an allocation if they don't have one. What that tells me is that your first dealer doesn't have an allocation and would need to expend some effort to get one. If they had an allocation they would have offered to do the deal right now.

Attempting lock you in to them when they don't even know if they can get you a car is utter crap. Worst case, a dealer might ask for a deposit in order to expend effort to get an allocation but within a time limit. In other words, along the lines of: do the deal now and take a deposit and if they can't secure an allocation within XX days refund your deposit.

On the flip side, the person you talked to on the phone might have figured your were deal shopping and that any unsecured effort they expended to find you a car would have been useless if you found a 5.01% discount from the 27th dealer you called.

Bottom line: Transparency is often facilitated face-to-face.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
On the flip side, the person you talked to on the phone might have figured your were deal shopping and that any unsecured effort they expended to find you a car would have been useless if you found a 5.01% discount from the 27th dealer you called.

Bottom line: Transparency is often facilitated face-to-face.
This was actually communicated to me in person after a test drive and building the spec. This is also one of the highest volume dealers in the Chicago area. I'm not certain on this and not that it matters, but I don't think any dealer has 2019 GTS allocations yet.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was actually communicated to me in person after a test drive and building the spec. This is also one of the highest volume dealers in the Chicago area. I'm not certain on this and not that it matters, but I don't think any dealer has 2019 GTS allocations yet.
Pretty sure I've seen that RDMUSTANG got his allocation last April (sorry, I don't know how to link him here). I may be mistaken though.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

This was actually communicated to me in person after a test drive and building the spec.
Hey, I'm just responding to what you wrote. Emphasis added by me:

The first one I called offered 5% discount but requires a $5k non-refundable deposit just to wait in line for an allocation.
Regardless, a deposit that isn't refundable, indefinitely, on an allocation that may never exist is nuts. But, a high-volume dealer a) probably has filled all of its current allocations and b) can probably live without your business. Go find another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to decide between 718 Cayman GTS and 992