Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '18 718 owner! PSE question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:28 AM
tubedude
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '18 718 owner! PSE question!

Hi everyone!

Took delivery of my 718 Cayman in Carrera white last Friday! Has left me with a smile from ear-to-ear! I've have the non-S model, the base model here in Australia with a couple of options came to a total of around $150kAUD(around $112kUSD) due to our taxes and tariffs. A similarly optioned S would've had a $30k premium along with a 6month wait time. I've been in a lot of cars and owned a few too, and I'm just not sure on what basis the negativity about the 718 is coming from. Albeit, my first Porsche, I've had C63's and came from an E class W212 AMG. This Cayman is probably more exciting to drive than the AMG's I've owned or driven and can definitely get you into as much trouble, you aren't going to have to try to break speed limits around town or on the highway. For me, I thought the power of the non-S would be an issue, but it doesn't leave you wanting and as I said, it will still get you into trouble off the track. With the potential of the turbo and the tuning options that will be available(have spoken to Cobb about their upcoming tune), definitely will have more power left in them to play with.

However, at the moment I'm contemplating the getting PSE installed. I was originally going to go with an aftermarket exhaust, but the here in Australia, the PSE ends up around half the price of any of the aftermarket options I've been quoted for. It will also retain the warranty. My other concern, is drone on the highway. I had the car on the highway and it was fantastic. From my experience, aftermarket exhausts do have a tendency to drone. So I was curious if anyone with the 718 w/PSE has experienced any drone on the highway?

I've also had quotes from the MC Chip dealer here, they say their tune is good for 375hp/450nm then there's the upcoming COBB AP, which on paper will put the performance above the stock S model. My main concern at the moment is warranty. Has anyone had any experience with the DTE or VR piggy back units? DTE website states it's good for around 40hp, 67nm & will reduce the acceleration times by 0.9 of a second, which would make it a sub 4s car while not reflashing the ECU.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM
j997tt
Advanced

No discerable drone on mine - PSE iin a 18 CGTS. As to power mods, I can’t say. Enjoy your Cayman.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:25 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys should be aware that Sport Exhaust is now standard equipment on all 718 products for the 2019 model year. Every 718 will come with sport exhaust. The only option you can choose is the look and color of the tailpipes.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm in also in Australia and was looking at the 981 GTS but now leaning towards the 718.

Would love to check out your car if you are lower north shore Sydney and hear about your purchase experience. Not a lot of 718 owners online in Australia and I've heard the buying experience is a lot different to in the US.

Nice to hear you have been enjoying the Cayman 718. As you know the new non-S version is fast as is and faster than the outgoing 981 S, particularly if you tune it and the torque curve is better so you are certainly are not missing out with a non-S.

I also think the 718 also looks a little nicer than the outgoing 981, though both look good.

That's interesting that the PSE is cheaper in Oz. I haven't checked prices but have you looked at importing one yourself and then having your dealer fit it? Could work out a bit cheaper than way. As you probably know definitely get one with valving so you can switch it off when needed.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 AM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a few with the PSe and experienced no drone. I've also driven several with aftermarket systems like Fabspeed's Streetsport and experienced no drone either. Unlike catback systems on previous generation Boxsters/Caymans, these cars don't quite generate the same resonant frequency that penetrate the cabin as cruising speed. Due to a turbo sitting in the system, you can go quite aggressive in the exhaust design and it stay pretty tame off throttle. The 911 Turbos pre-991 are a bit of a different story in how they react with drone/resonance, but the 718 is a great platform for getting more sound/aggressiveness without much if any drawback.

I might add I'm not a huge fan of "tricking" the ecu into making more power via piggybacks. Those that I've done in the past that way (regardless of manufacturer) did not respond well and it wasn't uncommon to have some electrical issues with various sensors. If you are after reliable, proven performance gains I highly recommend an ECU flash for the best results and return on investment to your driving experience. The 991.2 and 718 are a real pain to access the ECu through the OBDII port, so it would require on site dyno tuning or removal of your ECU and sending to a tuner, but the results are well worth the investment.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:48 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, go for the PSE u will love it!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM
tubedude
6th Gear

Originally Posted by donR
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm in also in Australia and was looking at the 981 GTS but now leaning towards the 718.

Would love to check out your car if you are lower north shore Sydney and hear about your purchase experience. Not a lot of 718 owners online in Australia and I've heard the buying experience is a lot different to in the US.

Nice to hear you have been enjoying the Cayman 718. As you know the new non-S version is fast as is and faster than the outgoing 981 S, particularly if you tune it and the torque curve is better so you are certainly are not missing out with a non-S.

I also think the 718 also looks a little nicer than the outgoing 981, though both look good.

That's interesting that the PSE is cheaper in Oz. I haven't checked prices but have you looked at importing one yourself and then having your dealer fit it? Could work out a bit cheaper than way. As you probably know definitely get one with valving so you can switch it off when needed.
Hey Don! If you’ve got Facebook, add me! My name’s George Belling. Funnily enough I’m located on the lower north shore as well! Found the exact same thing, on the Australian forums there was basically zero posts about the 718’s.

It’s a shame tuning options are limited to us. Basically in all instances we have to send the ECU to either Europe or the US. Ramspeed in Seven Hills does offer the MC Chip tuning from Germany. Supposedly will bump the output in stock form to 375hp and 450nm. I’m sure more options will arise as time goes on though!

I’ve looked into that, it would end up roughly $800AUD cheaper before sending... I can’t imagine sending an exhaust from the states would be particularly cheap. Convinience sake, I’d probably just order it straight through dealership. The PSE from the dealer and installation includes the exhaust and the console mounted exhaust valve control
Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 AM
tubedude
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AutoquestMotorsports
I've driven a few with the PSe and experienced no drone. I've also driven several with aftermarket systems like Fabspeed's Streetsport and experienced no drone either. Unlike catback systems on previous generation Boxsters/Caymans, these cars don't quite generate the same resonant frequency that penetrate the cabin as cruising speed. Due to a turbo sitting in the system, you can go quite aggressive in the exhaust design and it stay pretty tame off throttle. The 911 Turbos pre-991 are a bit of a different story in how they react with drone/resonance, but the 718 is a great platform for getting more sound/aggressiveness without much if any drawback.

I might add I'm not a huge fan of "tricking" the ecu into making more power via piggybacks. Those that I've done in the past that way (regardless of manufacturer) did not respond well and it wasn't uncommon to have some electrical issues with various sensors. If you are after reliable, proven performance gains I highly recommend an ECU flash for the best results and return on investment to your driving experience. The 991.2 and 718 are a real pain to access the ECu through the OBDII port, so it would require on site dyno tuning or removal of your ECU and sending to a tuner, but the results are well worth the investment.
That’s really good to know! I’ve also been looking at other aftermarket exhausts. It seems like you’ve had more experience with this than me, and might have an answer to a question of mine. A few friends have said that if you put an aftermarket exhaust on car, the rest of the vehicle is still under warranty, aside from the exhaust. Which is more or less the reason I preferred the idea of the PSE, even if it wasn’t an overly more aggressive than the standard exhaust.

I’d prefer the proper tune as well. It’s just a matter of logistics. Most tuners that are offering tunes are either in Europe or the US. Meaning it would be weeks between sending the ECU off and receiving it back. The gains however are great with a tune alone in stock form. From their figures, generally it seems most tuners are bringing the power output of the 2.0L to around the GTS models. There hasn’t been many reviews on most of them though unfortunately

Quick Reply: New '18 718 owner! PSE question!