Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 track prep (affordable wheel/tire suggestions)

Old 06-10-2018, 06:14 PM
thelilbastard
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 track prep (affordable wheel/tire suggestions)

Hi guys. Bought a new 718 Cayman (currently my daily driver) not that long ago and just got through the Break/Run-In period.

So now I’m prepping & looking to hopefully get on the track for the first time soon (even got my helmet & gloves ready). Anyways just looking at beginner stuff: maybe some hpde & basically just want to drive & enjoy the car on some corners in the track (no fun back roads here in South Florida) and just get the feel of the car, not really concerned or thinking about competing or comparing laptimes at this point.

With that said just wondering what recommendations you guys have for affordable wheels (prefer 18s same as the stock wheels and new vs used for reliability’s sake although open to a used set in excellent condition) and tires (looking for dedicated track tires that are just “streetable” enough for them to get me to the track and back home where I can re-swap to the factory goodyear eagle 1’s which I want to keep seperate for everyday driving).

Regarding paint protection prep for the track, was thinking about a clear bra/film for the front bumper, hood, mirrors and maybe a ceramic coat as well (so it’s easier to keep the car clean as well). However, is all this paint prep really necessary or a bit of overkill?

Know I’d have to switch out the stock brake pads and fluid as well or it’ll get fried.

Don’t know if I’m missing anything?

Appreciate the kind feedback!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

Double post
Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

OZ wheels from tire rack and the appropriate size Bridgestone RE71-R tires and you will be good to go tire and wheel wise.

Xpel, or equivalent, on the front of the car and side impact areas will protect the paint. You can start with stock fluid and pads then when you need to upgrade talk to Clark at Apex Performance and he can set you up with appropriate brake pads.

Peter
Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 477 Posts

Same question as OP but with a twist - bone stock 718 CS heading to first HPDE. Wheels are 20 inch. If I become a HPFE regular, I will buy track specific wheels. What size recommended? Keep 20"? Down to 19" or 18"? Thinking of Michelin PS2S as streetable track tires . Opinions welcome, pardon the noobness.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Same question as OP but with a twist - bone stock 718 CS heading to first HPDE. Wheels are 20 inch. If I become a HPFE regular, I will buy track specific wheels. What size recommended? Keep 20"? Down to 19" or 18"? Thinking of Michelin PS2S as streetable track tires . Opinions welcome, pardon the noobness.
At least 19's as the tire selection is much better. The Michelin PS4S is the best all around street/track tire as it does really well in the wet and decent in the dry. Not as fast as the RE71-R, R-S4, in 19" sizes but these are pretty sketchy grip in standing water.

Peter
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

We went with 19" OZ Ultraleggeras and RE-71R's for our project car
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

I just did an HPDE with my base cayman and the only thing beyond stock I did was bumping up the brake fluid (which included a full flush - which you should do before any track day / HPDE).

To be honest, the Cayman wasn't the limiting factor (even in stock form) it was my bravery
It was on/off rain/sun all day so I had multiple sessions in both damp / dry track conditions and I could barely even get the traction control to kick in.

In summary: this car is insanely capable on the track in stock form. Especially if this is just your first time, you really don't need to do much with it other than the aforementioned high-temp brake fluid flush. You most likely will not (unless you're brave, talented, or stupid) reach beyond the limits of the car.

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Keep the bone stock tires for your first day. Do a brake fluid flush. You most likely won't reach anywhere close to the limits of the cayman on your first day (the stock brakes are even great) - and you'll also then know what you need going forward.
That being said, if you know you're gonna do this a lot / slide around a lot (you really have to try to) - invest in 19" lightweight wheels + 19" tires. They are a cheaper consumable than your 20" tires, + you'll keep your street tires clean of the mountains of brake dust from a track day.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
We went with 19" OZ Ultraleggeras and RE-71R's for our project car

Is that lip available yet?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I was also wondering about the lip. Looks like a Techart one? Fits very well but needs to be painted.

What is the drop from the bottom of the lip to the road? I assume this car is 30mm lowered from standard?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:25 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

The front lip is from TechArt and we decided to keep it black. It's a track car and from September to May we do about two events a month so we don't want to have to keep repainting it.

The lip sits 4 1/8" off the ground in the front and a bit lower at 3 3/4" on the sides by the wheel well.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:52 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

At least 19's as the tire selection is much better. The Michelin PS4S is the best all around street/track tire as it does really well in the wet and decent in the dry. Not as fast as the RE71-R, R-S4, in 19" sizes but these are pretty sketchy grip in standing water.

Peter
What do you think the time difference would be between the Michelin & RE-71, R-S4 would be on a two mile track?

I am contemplating the same tire questions myself and am considering these as well as the SportCup 2s.

Thanks.

Robert
Old 06-29-2018, 03:11 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey

What do you think the time difference would be between the Michelin & RE-71, R-S4 would be on a two mile track?

I am contemplating the same tire questions myself and am considering these as well as the SportCup 2s.

Thanks.

Robert
Depends on the track but... probably only a few seconds at most at a high skill level (on a dry track).
On a wet track, I wouldn't run sticker than PS4S
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wheel size/offset and tire sizes are you guys running on the Project car? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend went with 19" OZ Ultraleggera 8.5" (53 offset) and 10" (40 offset) along with 245x35x19 and 295x30x19 Sport Cup 2's on his 718 Cayman. He says his wrench recommended to go with adj. rear toe links to help fit the wheels.

I am thinking this has more to do with his tire selection size in the rear versus the wheel size. Any opinions? Thanks.

I am going to use my new to me 2018 Boxster S on the track.

Tom
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
I just did an HPDE with my base cayman and the only thing beyond stock I did was bumping up the brake fluid (which included a full flush - which you should do before any track day / HPDE).

To be honest, the Cayman wasn't the limiting factor (even in stock form) it was my bravery
It was on/off rain/sun all day so I had multiple sessions in both damp / dry track conditions and I could barely even get the traction control to kick in.

In summary: this car is insanely capable on the track in stock form. Especially if this is just your first time, you really don't need to do much with it other than the aforementioned high-temp brake fluid flush. You most likely will not (unless you're brave, talented, or stupid) reach beyond the limits of the car.

Keep the bone stock tires for your first day. Do a brake fluid flush. You most likely won't reach anywhere close to the limits of the cayman on your first day (the stock brakes are even great) - and you'll also then know what you need going forward.
That being said, if you know you're gonna do this a lot / slide around a lot (you really have to try to) - invest in 19" lightweight wheels + 19" tires. They are a cheaper consumable than your 20" tires, + you'll keep your street tires clean of the mountains of brake dust from a track day.
Did my first track day in my base 718 at Watkins Glen last weekend. It was mainly wet conditions, but I did have a dry session. I was pushing it pretty hard and traction control didn’t cut in once. I’ll echo how insanely capable this new generation is. For reference, I used to track my 981 GTS. The power was fantastic and a nice change from the previous model. The weather was chilly, so naturally no heat issues. But am curious about the brakes on a hot day...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 track prep (affordable wheel/tire suggestions)