Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 718CS today. Yes, it's a real Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

A few related thoughts:

1.) I don’t understand all the “ oh my God! A Cayman cost 90k!!” Where have you people been living. When I bought my Boxster S in 2005, a base 911 cost about 30% more than the starting price of a Boxster S. Still the same today...nothing much has changed. To compare an optioned car on one to an unoptioned car of the other is silly, unless that is what you really want to buy. In the end a 718 comparably equipped to a 911 will be about 30-40% different. Fact of life, get over it.

2.) I love Alcantara. It generally wears well and cleans up well when not really abused. Not all faux suede is Alcantara. Alcatara is a premium grade branded material and costs a small fortune if you try to buy it in bulk ( which I did to use on my boat ( inside) cushions.)

3.). I wish all my Porsches ( I own three), made less noise. I like to listen to the radio on long drives...This sucks on a Porsche. I find that listening to an engine growl gets old after 30 mins. On the other hand, if I’m on a track I don’t car what it sounds like since I am too focused on other stuff..Maybe that will eventually change when I get more track time but for now I bought my 718C GTS as a track only car. Sure there are lots of ways to go but it seemed like it would be a great AutoX, HPDE car for the next few years. Yea, I could have bought almost any Porsche but the 718 seemed like a great car and didn’t see the need to pay more.

4.) I will never understand why people hate cars they don’t own and spend energy bitching about them. Go find a car you like, buy it and move on.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Wonder about long term reliability/dependability with turbos. This isn't specific to the 718; turbos are nice but one more gizmo to fail.
Yeah, it’s like Porsche’s first turbo motor. It’s not like they’ve been developing, selling, and racing turbo motors for about a half-decade.

That (sarcastically) written, Porsche - like all other manufacturers - from time-to-time does stupid $h1+ (e.g. RMS, IMS, 1st-gen Lokasil, etc.)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:45 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Four Fun
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I can't *NOT* have one.

I cuss incessantly every time I have to drive a rental at night.
Because you a) can’t flip the lever? b) don’t know there’s a lever? c) are too lazy to flip the lever? d) are so annoyed that the mirror can’t read your mind that you refuse to flip the lever?

No. Seriously. I never understood the auto-never-dims-when-I-need-it mirror with no manual mode. It’s a bad half-solution in search of a first-world problem.

And it is never actually very dim unlike the old-school manual rear view mirrors.

Originally Posted by John Elliot
Four Fun
Nice. Not you though? Or?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
John Elliot
Racer

Thumbs up

Yes me. Having Fun on and off Track with my GTS 718. Previous cars - 12 Cayman R, 15 GT3, 16 GT3 RS. The 718 has exceeded my expectations so far.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Elliot

Yes me. Having Fun on and off Track with my GTS 718.
Forgive me for doubting. Plates are Ontario and your ‘location’ is “Chatham - London”
Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

Because you a) can’t flip the lever? b) don’t know there’s a lever? c) are too lazy to flip the lever? d) are so annoyed that the mirror can’t read your mind that you refuse to flip the lever?

No. Seriously. I never understood the auto-never-dims-when-I-need-it mirror with no manual mode. It’s a bad half-solution in search of a first-world problem.

And it is never actually very dim unlike the old-school manual rear view mirrors.

The lever is a lie. You literally turn your actual mirror into something that *might* make you aware of lights behind you, and I think I'll just agree to disagree in the effectiveness of the auto-dimming technology as all my cars have inadvertently had them for the past 7 or 8 years and I never even noticed it UNTIL I had to get into a rental, which seems to me to be exactly the point. While we're assuming things, maybe you just didn't know you had to push a button for it to actually work? I guess it's not *completely* auto, but yes you can turn it off. It would actually make sense if that's why you don't think it works lol.

Plus there is no lever for the side mirrors.

First world problems indeed, but it's uncommon to complain about the solutions.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Thumbs up

Business is in Chatham Ontario Canada, I live in London Ontario Canada. No problem. Play at Grand Bend Raceway near Grand Bend Ontario Canada where Porsche of London ( Ontario Canada ) hosts some Track Days and Porsche of Canada has used for some new model introductions including the 718 Boxster. I am fortunate to have the Track less than an hour from home. I like driving home with the top down after a Track Night.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 718CS today. Yes, it's a real Porsche...