Sponsored by:

718 Boxster Exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 Boxster Exhaust noise

I have a new ('18) 718 Boxster, 6-spd, PSE, and have questions about the exhaust sound.

In most cases, I prefer the quieter sound of the car in "normal" mode, but I like the quicker throttle and rev matching in Sport mode. Even when I turn off the sport exhaust switch on the console, the exhaust's still louder in sport mode. What's going on? Does the exhaust butterfly still open a bit? Is there any way to prevent this?

I have disconnected the Aktorator (or whatever it's called) and it didn't make any difference with this problem.

Thanx!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

PSE valves open above a certain rpm anyway. Usually in the 3-4K range depending on model.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Even with the standard exhaust the exhaust is louder in Sport mode--and there are no valves to open/close. Porsche says it's because the engine dynamics are changed in Sport. I have noticed that when the choke is on in "Lexus" mode it sounds roughly the same as Sport mode--so I suspect that more fuel is injected.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Yes, I zip-tied the exhaust vacuum motor closed and the car still was noisier in sport mode, so whatever's going on, it's not the exhaust bypass butterfly opening.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Aha! Strange, but if I select Sport+ rather than Sport, and turn off the console loud switch, the car is QUIETER than in Sport. Go figure. I'm happy now.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Aha! Strange, but if I select Sport+ rather than Sport, and turn off the console loud switch, the car is QUIETER than in Sport. Go figure. I'm happy now.
I’ll have to try this. For long highway cruising I prefer normal mode but miss the throttle response of sport mode. I have individual mode set to sport mode with sport exhaust off, but as previously mentioned, it was still louder than normal mode.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In sport mode the ECU settings are different. It creates more burble/crackle/overrun on deceleration and while shifting. There is unfortunately nothing you can do to combat that from happening. I tried awhile back to have a tuner negate the effects on a 991.1 Carrera but unfortunately it was unsuccessful as it was in an area of the programming that wasn't accessible twith the tuning platform at the time. To break into the programming and change that offered little return on investment of the time, and most tune developers have much bigger fish to fry than that limited market. I'm sorry to say but you've got to get used to the effect or make best friends with a tuner willing to invest the time and effect to change that for you haha.

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster Exhaust noise