Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Please post pics and detail of how to mount a Wing on a 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please post pics and detail of how to mount a Wing on a 944

I just bought a 951 widebody that came with an unmounted wing and need some ideas on how to mount a wing to it. If possible, i'd like it to be removable, so I could still put on a car cover.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
future
Banned

Post pictures and then we can help

What type of wing is it (Stock rubber, bridge style or high downforce competition for trunk floor mounting)?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I'll post pics as soon as I can take some. Its probably a high downforce wing, although it looks a bit "Ricey". I've seen some mounted to the back of the sheet metal and others that come up through the hatch window. I'd actually like to avoid cutting my Lexan window. Can I make a bridge to the outside of the hatch?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is how 95ONE accomplished it

Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Ryan, thanks that also looks like its adjustable
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM
future
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorax
Here is how 95ONE accomplished it

FCUKIN HELL - What's that ... Looks like something out of MAD MAX I'm not one to knock somebody else pride and joy but that looks tragic

although it looks a bit "Ricey".
You said it yourself so put in bin or sell on or ultimately get our new Turbo RS Version 2 when it's launched in the next few week.

What will you be using your car for? Looking forwards to some pictures Any details on the wide body kit you have on your car also?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by future
FCUKIN HELL - What's that ... Looks like something out of MAD MAX I'm not one to knock somebody else pride and joy but that looks tragic

You said it yourself so put in bin or sell on or ultimately get our new Turbo RS Version 2 when it's launched in the next few week.

What will you be using your car for? Looking forwards to some pictures Any details on the wide body kit you have on your car also?
It looks like it's very functional to me...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
future
Banned

LOL looks more like one of these stuck on it's **** end

That is mounted back to far to be efficiently functional - It will be victim to lots of turbulent up draft - Liking the rear diffuser though
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
DanR
Drifting

don't hold back, say what you mean!

When fitting a high downforce wing is your intention function or form. If it's function I am sure this does the trick! If its form, then it is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

We seem to have gotten side tracked on esthetics. I want mine for function and would really like to see more mounting pics. I'm bringing the car into FABWORX http://www.fabworxfabrications.com to do some exhaust work and would like to show them some ideas for mounting the wing.

Based on an earlier comment i'd also like to know How high and how far back to mount it.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LOL looks more like one of these stuck on it's **** end

That is mounted back to far to be efficiently functional - It will be victim to lots of turbulent up draft - Liking the rear diffuser though
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
95ONE
Race Car

LOL!!!!

Oh god. That's funny. No hard feelings at all. Strictly function. It was one of the nicer Ricer Wings 5 years ago. Its the same one that is on the Dr. Pepper colored widebody lS1. - Trick 951 topic.

Ideally, the one I want is $2000. And is basically a wing you would see in the JGTC 300/500 series. So that one will certainly scream ricer.

But, not as a re-buttle in any way to comments made.... I think you might be confused on where a wing is to be placed and its functions. One of which is to help straighten out the turbulance for a smoother overall flow.
There are common rules in most racing institutions to limit how rearward they can place a wing. If rearward were not desirable, would they even place those limits?
But, I am certainly open to any and all technical comments about where the wing should be placed based on aerodnamic data on the 944 shape! I clearly don't know everything, and am very eager to learn what I don't so that one day I might.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
95ONE
Race Car

John, if you look through the thread I mentioned above, "trick 951's" you will see many good examples of how others have tackled this issue. One in particular used a sort of bridge bracket from one side of the frame to the other. A common one I wasn't fond of (too heavy) was just bolting it on top of the heavy stock wing.

Yes, mine is fully adjustable.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by johntorg
We seem to have gotten side tracked on esthetics. I want mine for function and would really like to see more mounting pics. I'm bringing the car into FABWORX http://www.fabworxfabrications.com to do some exhaust work and would like to show them some ideas for mounting the wing.

Based on an earlier comment i'd also like to know How high and how far back to mount it.
Simple answer for height and how far back - "read the rules".
It all depends on what you want to do with the car, PCA has height, width and set back rules.
Remember that it you have a decent wing and it is set up correctly you can see some pretty decent forces at speed. - If it wobbles when you push it at rest then it has a good chance of ripping off at speed.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
future
Banned

Has anybody got a detailed picture of a trunk mounted wing through the Lexan?

I have always wondered about what kind of lateral support they use.

I thought that for PCA the wing could not protrude past the outer rear fenders. Just found this Factory built 87 951 for sale which proves me wrong

http://www.porschesport.com/ps18.html

Quick Reply: Please post pics and detail of how to mount a Wing on a 944