central locking LEDs in door not lighting up ever

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 12:02 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Question central locking LEDs in door not lighting up ever

The title says it all

My central locking/alarm remote does lock and unlock the car successfully and arm/disarm the car.

However, there is no light at all coming from the LEDs mounted inside the car next to the side windows. However, I believe these should flash to indicate that the alarm has been set, correct?

The owner's manual says that this can happen if there is a door not closed properly, but I have checked the doors and front and rear bonnets.

Any suggestions?

Graham
Old 11-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Graham,

As I understand it the LED's show that the alarm is armed and monitoring,

- Front and Rear Lids
- Doors
- glovebox
- Radio
- Ignition (immobliser)

If there is a problem with one of these circuits the doors will still lock but the LED's will either not flash at all or double flash.

I have checked what happens on my car by leaving the front decklid and also seperately the glove box open. The car locks and after a short period of no LED illumination they start to double flash. The handbook definitely says they may not flash at all but not in what circumstances.

Another possibilty is the LED,s themselves but very doubtful they would go at the same time,so more likely power supply - seperate fuse? Don't know.

I think I would start by checking all circuits mentioned above.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Graham,
The LED on my drivers door stopped working and everything else worked as normal. Went to a P-car body shop right close to my house and they pulled the door panel back and found the LED wire had come loose...re-connected it and everything is fine. Might be worth a try.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:29 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

That gives me an idea (thanks Tim). The radio installed is not the original. Perhaps the radio detection circuit was not reconnected. How does this work? Maybe I can have a go at reconnecting it.

I can also try checking for a separate fuse for the LEDs and for loose connection on both LEDs (rather unlikely but you never know...)

Thanks,

Graham
Old 11-29-2002, 07:28 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

I am pretty sure the radio is your problem. I changed radios (tape to CD) and while the old radio was out my LED's did what you describe. When I installed the new radio the LED's started working normally.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:04 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Blizzard,

How was the problem solved?
What was the difference between the two installations?

Graham
Old 11-30-2002, 07:47 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Graham,
Both radio are factory units, so when I installed the new one the LED's started acting normally.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:06 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Sorry to refresh this thread but I didn't get any feedback on how the radio affects the alarm and what to do about it.

The car came with a non-OEM Alpine head unit when I bought it.

Is there a wire of some sort which normally connects to the radio? If so, how can I trick the sensor? Does it need earthing? 12VDC? something else?

Graham
Old 12-04-2002, 04:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
graham
I'm at my office so can't check the schematics, but as I recall there is a wire that connects to the radio & completes a normally open circuit. I'll try to check when I get home (unless someone else answers 1st) & let you know. If it's as I recall, it should be simple to fool the system & restore proper functioning.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-15-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:52 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Graham
I looked at the schematics for MY '95 - '97 and in all of them there is a green (GN) wire that runs from the alarm control unit (contact II/9) to a connection on the radio case. I'd suggest poking around the area of the radio to see if there's a green wire that's been grounded by mistake. Disconnect it from ground it & that should substitute for the absence of the "official" radio contact for the alarm, but your radio theft alarm will not function.

BTW, I also checked the connection diagram for my oem Becker CR210 & there is no designated "alarm" connection.

Caveat: I am NOT an electrician, electrical engineer, auto mechanic, etc. although I can change a light bulb when commanded by my wife, so if you follow my suggestion & your car burns up - don't blame me.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-15-2003 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:25 PM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What years did the 993 come with door lock ****/LED's??
I drive a '86 911 and want to intall these in my door sill in place of my plain lock *****. Anyone know if they'll fit?
Basically, i want the LED as my alarm indicator.

thanks
mike
'86 coupe
Old 12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Dan,

I tried a couple of times to find a disconnected green wire but to be honest the wiring confuses me no end!

Here is what the wiring looks like under my stereo. Could anyone help me trace the wire which should connect to the radio? Thanks

Graham
p.s. looks like the previous owner let some cowboys loose in here!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Graham
I'll try to maneuver myself under my dash this weekend & see if I can match up your ... er, mess to whatever I've got. I suppose you've traced the green wire(s) in your pic.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-15-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:56 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Graham
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you about the radio wiring. After pulling my Becker & inspecting the alarm wiring, I think I have an answer for you & others experiencing the same alarm LED error after an aftermarket radio install.

The alarm wire itself is a thin gauge solid green wire (1/2 as thick as the most visible one in your pic) that (in my US LHD car) comes from a harness well above & to the right of the radio. It is neither visible nor accessible from under the dash - the radio must be removed (makes sense for security - ahhhh German engineering). The alarm connection for the radio is a normally open connection & is triggered when it is grounded. That's your problem, as explained below.

The alarm wire connects to an insulated tab assembly on the radio "cage"/frame/mount (see pic below) that fits in the dash & into which the radio slides. The tab is simply, but ingeniously constructed so that the alarm wire cage tab will be grounded to the radio chassis & the alarm instantly triggered,IF the radio is pulled (as in an attempt at removal).

The problem is that a casual look suggests that the alarm wire is grounded to the cage & is a normally grounded connection - it is not. An uninformed aftermarket radio installer would intuitively reinstall the green wire by grounding it to the new radio chassis. The result is a tripped condition which would allow the alarm to otherwise function, but cause the error LED lights you have experienced. As a test, I grounded the green alarm wire, set my alarm & experienced your described condition.

The fix is to simply disconnect the green alarm wire from its ground connection. However, your radio will not be protected by the alarm. I've thought of an easy, inexpensive way to add back the radio alarm protection. Email me at ibinmo@aol.com if you're interested.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-15-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:20 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Dan,

That is extremely helpful, thanks. I will remove the stereo, find the wire, see whether it is grounded and if so, undo the connection then see if my alarm LEDs return to normal operation.

What is your idea for the non-OEM radio alarm trigger?

Graham

Quick Reply: central locking LEDs in door not lighting up ever