Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any down side to getting an 04 CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any down side to getting an 04 CGT?

Is there any down side to getting on 04 vs and 05 CGT, everything else being equal??? Did porsche make any subtle changes and or improvements as the production of the car continued?? I remember reading somewhere that the clutch up take issue was improved later in the production run, but i never heard of this before or since....
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you can drive a stick the clutch is not an issue. But many people can't drive a stick (and the reason Ferrari sells so many F1 cars)

At this point, if you can find a car that meets your criteria, I don't think it matters too much. Of course if you can find a suiable 05 that is best (warranty), but I wouldn't lose a good car while looking for a needle in a haystack. From everything I hear they are bullet proof.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
Is there any down side to getting on 04 vs and 05 CGT, everything else being equal??? Did porsche make any subtle changes and or improvements as the production of the car continued?? I remember reading somewhere that the clutch up take issue was improved later in the production run, but i never heard of this before or since....
Lots of stories about the clutch being modified...... The CGT guy from Porsche GB said that the very early cars tested by journalists caused such problems that they did change the friction material to make the engagement less abrupt. There will be very few cars (if any) with the original material, and those which had it have probably had new clutches anyway (which would definately be new material).
Porsche (in the UK anyway) usually paid for the first clutch under warranty (even though its a wear item) which points to an acceptance of the original material's unsuitability.
The clutch is not a pleasant thing to use from a stand still on a slope but you do get used to it although a hurried junction in traffic and a moments lack of concentration will see the car stall - if the clutch on mine goes pop I will be foregoing Porsche's cutting edge technology and have RS Tuning fit a conventional clutch (which they developed for their 6 litre conversion)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Lots of stories about the clutch being modified...... The CGT guy from Porsche GB said that the very early cars tested by journalists caused such problems that they did change the friction material to make the engagement less abrupt. There will be very few cars (if any) with the original material, and those which had it have probably had new clutches anyway (which would definately be new material).
Porsche (in the UK anyway) usually paid for the first clutch under warranty (even though its a wear item) which points to an acceptance of the original material's unsuitability.
The clutch is not a pleasant thing to use from a stand still on a slope but you do get used to it although a hurried junction in traffic and a moments lack of concentration will see the car stall - if the clutch on mine goes pop I will be foregoing Porsche's cutting edge technology and have RS Tuning fit a conventional clutch (which they developed for their 6 litre conversion)
thanks for the great info...how much does the clutch conversion cost??
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

I just clicked over 10,000 miles on my '04. Only issues: one minor oil weep (fixed under warranty); foggy headlamp covers (also fixed under warranty). No clutch problems. Just brake pads and tires at about 7,000 miles. This car is fantastic. I doubt you would be disappointed with either an '04 or '05.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

There is no downside to a CGT...the only question becomes warranty.

Quick Reply: Any down side to getting an 04 CGT?