Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capacitive Discharge System (CDI)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capacitive Discharge System (CDI)

What CDI system is recommended for 6 volt 356s?

ChuckJ
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a pair of Winterburns for my 356 Carrera - working on installing them now and will be able to report on them in a couple of weeks. Fred says they will fire a hot spark at anything over 3 volts. He builds them personally in small batches on a design patented by his father in the 1960's updated with more modern components. I corresponded with him via email for two months prior to my purchase and I was pretty impressed with his knowledge. He even bench tested a setup we discussed to fire two coils of one set of points so the plugs would fire at the same time (a problem with the dual ignition setup on 4-cams).

http://www.capacitordischargeignition.com/

Permatune used to make a 6 Volt CDI but used units are hard to find and expensive. I think 123 distributors in England can provide a six volt set up.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 PM
CHJ
Instructor

That looks terrific, Jack! Thanks!

Have you done anything about good headlights (like 6 volt LED)? Or other solution?

ChuckJ
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I was doing a period correct restoration trying to duplicate the way my car appeared in all of the magazines in the late 1950's I had to go with real old school Lucas 6 volt headlights - Tri-Y in the top and Flamethrowers in the bottom as installed by Dean Jeffries. Not the greatest light output but since my car is more of a show car at this point its what I did. I'm not sure if there is a 6 Volt LED option but I would certainly research that for a daily driver.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 AM
CHJ
Instructor

Thanks, Jack! Beautiful car! Seems like the generator has enough power to give you some flexibility with the lighting.

ChuckJ

Quick Reply: Capacitive Discharge System (CDI)