Sponsored by:

Need tips! Replacing foam seat bottoms '64 Coupe

Old 03-03-2017, 01:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Need tips! Replacing foam seat bottoms '64 Coupe

I have decided that I'm tired of sitting on a flat seat cushion and got in some seat bottom foam (like factory OEM) and am starting to take things apart to remove the original black vinyl seat covers. Since the vinyl is still quite nice I intend to simply replace the foam.

How much of a disassembly job is required to get into these thus? With the seats out of the car I notice a fair number of rounded rivet heads and would rather not start grinding off things if there's a better way!

TIA
Old 03-05-2017, 05:57 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't help with disassembly, although you might find some info in the 356 Registry archives.

I have an unused set of foam inserts. However, my understanding is that OEM was horsehair over the springs, not foam. I've also seen some guys have stuffed foam into all the springs to firm things up.

Good luck. Sounds like a frustrating job.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It's a bigger job than I thought. I figured it was just a matter of buying some new foam and squeezing it in there. I found a few more tips on the 356 Registry (fortunately, have been a member) as the 356 side of Rennlist is pretty sparse.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:44 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will find basic step by step instructions on 356 Registry. I rebuilt mine last year with new foam. No rivet removal required. It would be helpful if you have hog ring pliers.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Finished reassembly today. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the perimeter of the vinyl covering. Once I got a part of it up the rest came out easily.

With the bottom cushion removed from the metal seat adjuster and the back, it came apart fairly well, as I cut this cord and that. With new foam, I simply removed the horsehair and separated it all from the metal spring portion. (I shot the bottom in black again to return it to its original look and also sprayed the spring box with a silver paint, just to give it a better look, although no one will ever see it).

With heavy burlap, from my supply of imported coffee bags, I placed that inside the base shell, placed the spring assembly on top of that, tied the spring assembly down into that base and then wrapped the burlap around the perimeter of the spring assembly and secured it here and there with heavy linen cordage, compressing the springs a bit as I wanted to keep everything tight. Then I reused a piece that was between the spring base assembly and the original horsehair, tying it into place. I put a plastic bag over the fitted foam piece (to aid in recovering) and then simply reinstalled the vinyl over the entire assembly.

Finally, it was put back together with its back adjuster, adding the back, and then reinstalled into the car. What a great difference! I'm sure the passenger side will now go much faster!

The greatness of the 356--the simplicity of repairs!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need tips! Replacing foam seat bottoms '64 Coupe