Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a lower production number makingone 356 worth more than another?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:15 PM
HistoryBuff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a lower production number makingone 356 worth more than another?

Some 356 Porsche models were much more numerous than others. So if appreciation is what you want, it seems to me that what you want is a model where the number produced was under 5,000. I am just theorizing, if you had the choice between two 356s should you always lean toward the one with the lower production number? Just 4,854 Speedsters were made between ’54-‘-58 which makes them a guaranteed appreciator compared to other open 356 models that were made in larger numbers. Still in the 356 world , Speedsters aren’t the only game in town, there’s other road car models with even lower production numbers than Speedsters—roadsters, Karmann coupes, etc.?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, it used to be that cars with production numbers closer to the beginning and to the end of production were those that were worth more, or considered more desirable.

This used to be the case with the 356 and other models, and within other marques.. However, I'm not so sure anymore as the "newbs" seem to not mention or recognize this.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The short of it depends on the rarity. Usually Pre A/A cars are worth the most for the shape and low production #s. The Cs are collectible because they are the last rendition of the 356 and have disc brakes which make them the best drivers. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference

Quick Reply: Is a lower production number makingone 356 worth more than another?