Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dipping my toe in the 356 pool...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default dipping my toe in the 356 pool...

Hi All,

I typically frequent the racing forums so I am new to the 356 area...I am thinking about a 356...what should one expect to pay for a cab needing some minor restoration and an interior? I assume decent mechanicals, but maybe some body work...just looking for a very generalized price range on 1959-1962 cabs...Thanks for any and all ideas.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Gerd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bgiere: Quite a bit more information at http://porsche356registry.org.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is one http://www.porsche356registry.org/cl...sche-356b.html There is a $70k car that looks to be rough around the edges. It could even be worse.

356s prices are very high right now. Open cars are usually 6 figure cars and Speedsters often go for over $200K. In my opinion there is a big demand for reasonably priced driver quality cars needing a little work. These cars do not seem common. You can find resto projects (cabs) for $40K+ or restored cars for $80-$180k depending on model and condition. Some of the cheap project cars are going to require massive amounts of time and money.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Join the registry if you are serious about these cars.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Join the registry if you are serious about these cars.
And if you want to pay top dollar for a 356, buy one off the Registry Classifieds
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
And if you want to pay top dollar for a 356, buy one off the Registry Classifieds
True. The idea of the registry is to keep track of these cars and get the expertise from the older members,not to mention the get-togethers.

Ive had 4 of these cars and 2 I bought off e-bay.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, but the most important element is to purchase an honestly represented 356. I have a owned a few and am currently restoring a 63 cab, bought two years ago for 35k. Very solid with minimum rust (very important in restoration cost) but needed cosmetic and mechanical work. I have done all the work myself so it has been rewarding with minimum outlay. If you are looking for a Cab and not the roadster or speedster (which IMHO are a bit overpriced) you should be fine in for around 45 to 50k if you can find one. T6 c's are generally the highest value of the this bunch, disc brakes and the SC are highly revered. Stay away from the major rust issues or poorly restored. Pictures and descriptions are not good enough.

Bottom line, the registry is a great source of information and the classified section can ultimately provided a great deal if the seller is honest and has sorted the car out. Also, there are many cars that do no make the market that are sold via the registry. Join, it may be the best 35 bucks you can spend.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Bare minimum for a complete cab will be $50,000. Probably closer to the low $60's. Rule of thumb: Cabs are 2x the price of coupes, roadsters are 2x the price of cabs and speedsters are 2x the price of roadsters. The cab is the best deal
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am on 356 but fail to understand the delta in cabs and roadsters. My first P car was 356B.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I am on 356 but fail to understand the delta in cabs and roadsters. My first P car was 356B.
The roadster carries over the features that made the speedster so unique. The low windshield, cut-down doors, long rear cowl, sound-proofing delete etc. all conspire to provide a very different driving experience from the cabriolets. As you can see back in the day roadsters were marketed as the best choice for a more sporting driving experience.

I don't believe that 2:1 ratio between roadsters and speedster pricing is very accurate. There is a substantial delta between the t-5 roadsters and speedsters but I would guess more like 60% than 100% for cars in similar condition. Again, for cars in similar condition, I don't believe that there is any difference between the t-6 roadsters and speedsters. The highest sale I am aware of for a non-competition push rod 356 was a t-6 roadster.
Ron Hetherington

sorry for the huge photo

Last edited by camchain; 12-14-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the info! I Learned something!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Hi All,

I typically frequent the racing forums so I am new to the 356 area...I am thinking about a 356...what should one expect to pay for a cab needing some minor restoration and an interior? I assume decent mechanicals, but maybe some body work...just looking for a very generalized price range on 1959-1962 cabs...Thanks for any and all ideas.
All good information above, but I'd add that "minor restoration" is a slippery slope. Bodywork can get very expensive; interiors generally aren't all that costly, and pushrod engines aren't a big deal either. I would really focus on the condition of the body. A high end restoration now could run $100K+, and it usually doesn't make sense to do a partial body restoration.

I opted to go the full restoration route with my Speedster, because I wanted to see everything in bare metal and know what was underneath the paint. Some parts were better than expected, others were worse, but you don't really know that until you strip it and see what you have.

If you don't want to go through this process (and I wouldn't blame you), getting a documented restoration cab might end up being a better deal for you.

(And if you're into racing... 356s have a huge racing history, but that's a different sort of 'restoration' and starting point...)

In terms of what to get, the cab is probably the best value, but it does feel less sporting than the Speedster/Conv D/Roadster series. A 356B cab is probably the most open-top 356 for the money right now, although they are all up in price pretty sharply. They are all huge fun to drive, though, and you'll probably get your money out of it if/when you sell. I drove someone else's 356B coupe recently and it's just amazing how nicely everyone treats you on the road. It's just a very cool car. Good luck on the hunt.

Quick Reply: dipping my toe in the 356 pool...