Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   356 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum-63/)
-   -   Coupe to Speedster Conversion (https://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum/412404-coupe-to-speedster-conversion.html)

jturbo 02-23-2008 04:52 PM

Coupe to Speedster Conversion

Has anyone attempted a 356 Coupe to Speedster Conversion? Is this possible?

Leader 02-23-2008 06:27 PM

The rear clip on a Speedster is much different from a Coupe.
While you could certain chop the top off a coupe and "create" some kind of 356 convertible, what you'd be left with would not be a Speedster.
And it certainly wouldn't be worth what the coupe was before you messed with it.
Want a Speedster? Build a replica and save yourself $100K.

hoffman912 02-23-2008 08:44 PM

it would be a horible mistake, and would cost a fortune to do it properly (especially in body work and reinforcing the body since the roof of a coup is structurally integral (sp) to its design, where as a speedster has a different set up in structural design). after you did it, the value wouldnt be worth it either, as your very valuable coup would be less than it normally would, and wouldnt reach a fraction of a speedsters value.

if you want a speedster it would be less expensive to just buy a speedster in this case, and even cheeper to buy a replica speedster.

Freddy 02-24-2008 02:34 PM

A Coupe cannot be converted to a Cab, Roadster or Speedster... I wouldn't do that, but a Karmann Hardtop (Notchback) can be converted to a Cab... and if you want to do so... get one that is already chopped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Freddy

FL-356C 02-27-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 5142275)
A Coupe cannot be converted to a Cab, Roadster or Speedster... I wouldn't do that, but a Karmann Hardtop (Notchback) can be converted to a Cab... and if you want to do so... get one that is already chopped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Freddy

Ha! that is my old '61. I did the "surgery" on it. That was my original intent was to make it an outlaw Speedster. That car is a great candidate for it. I just got too consumed in my coupe and other projects.

JonesnSince78 03-04-2008 10:46 AM

First, I want to stress that I am not trying to flame anyone. I am still new to 356s and am trying to learn as much as I can. Also, I DO NOT advocate chopping a perfectly good coupe. I'd reserve this option for cars who have had their roofs seriously compromised. However, this topic is of specific interest to me given the "mongrel' sitting in my driveway...

Originally Posted by hoffman912 (Post 5140473)
would cost a fortune to do it properly (especially in body work and reinforcing the body since the roof of a coup is structurally integral (sp) to its design, where as a speedster has a different set up in structural design

I'm curious about this as I have studied the parts drawings and see no discernible difference in the chassis design between coupe, cab and Speedster. (I will qualify this to say I have only studied the "A" parts diagrams.) I also don't see any obvious stiffener elements employed in either the cab or Speedster. What might I be missing?

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 5142275)
A Coupe cannot be converted to a Cab, Roadster or Speedster...

One thing I've learned in life is never say "never" so I am curious about the absoluteness of this statement. Quite a few have been done with mixed aesthetic results. The one in my driveway is one of the less fortunate ones as the "sculptor" didn't stop with the top -- he also added gaudy "wide-body" flares front and rear.

However, in Excellence #59 (February 1996) there's a fun article about Steve Schmidt's (proprietor of Honest Engine) "Coupester". That car had been rolled and rather than scrap it, Dick Coyne (a Porsche indy in Santa Monica) chopped it and made it a racer. He club-raced it for a few years, then sold it to Jeff Scott who raced it in SCCA "E". He in turn sold it to Steve who raced it for years (maybe still does?). This car looks great, even in the grid with a line of real Speedsters. The article discusses this conversion to some degree and there's no mention of significant mods needed to stiffen the car and, well, Steve and the gentlemen before him, raced it pretty hard. So, I have to assume that the structural integrity wasn't compromised.

BTW, I've adopted the "Coupester" moniker for my mongrel. I came up with the word before learning of Steve's car -- I thought I was so clever! I plan to remove the steel wheel flares and return the side profile to stock. I'm thinking of having gold "Coupester" emblems made up in the "Speedster" font to place on the front fenders. Just a little good-natured tweak to the numbers-matching folks.

I've started a rudimentary website about my mongrel if anyone is interested: www.356coupester.com

ked 03-04-2008 12:27 PM

Jonesn,
- doing any major chassis / body work on a 356 "properly" is a major undertaking - meaning research, thought & esp $$$s in parts & labor. that's just the way it is, unless you define properly differently from the norm among 356 experts.
- body panels among 356s, even though they have the same (or very similar) unibody chassis, are often not interchangable... there are numerous subtle (& not-so-subtle) differences. when you examine many 356s closely, all at the same place & time, this becomes evident. it is a good reason to go to 356 registry events. so, strictly, I suppose a near-perfect conversion might be achievable, but it will not yield a car that isn't fundamentally what it started out as from the factory. semantics plays a role here.
- when you install a rollcage in a race car, it becomes much stiffer, if done correctly.

a project like you have taken on can be a great education (for everyone, not only the owner) and accomplishment. have fun & best of luck.

Arena996 03-04-2008 03:01 PM

I am currently restoring a speedster and have also restored previously a 1957 cabriolet and a 1953 coupe and a 1965 SC coupe. I have not seen any additonal reinforcements for the open cars compared to the coupes. There are some differences in the shapes of the panels but not in the number of panels. The difference in shape is do to the difference in vehicle design not in the intended structuyral load. If the cars lower half is structurally sound there is no reason you could not cut off the roof and still have a rigid car whose doors will shut properly every time. The key is haveing good non rusted longitudinals and door pillars. If there is any integrity loss in any of those areas you are sure to see a sagging body.
Just my .02 cents
JIM

justacoupe 03-25-2008 02:24 PM

Not at All Impractical...

It not only CAN be done, it is being done right now by a very talented Porsche restorer in Rockford, MI. I believe he has sent jturbo a PM or direct e-mail regarding his project. I cannot recall if he started with an A or a B coupe, but he is at a point now where the car is close to being ready for paint, and it not only looks like a Speedster... it is all "Porsche" in content. No, he's not trying to pass it off as the real thing, he's just building himself a beautiful "extreme outlaw" that happens to look like a Speedster.

LA964RS 09-29-2008 05:01 PM

by now he should have some pics?????

Old Heap 10-06-2008 07:34 PM

Outlaw Progress Photos

7 Attachment(s)
If you were within millimeters of Scarlett Johansson you would be close enough for practical purposes. The dimensions of this outlaw are within millimeters of the factory, therefore....?

Vifa 10-07-2008 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leader (Post 5140113)
The rear clip on a Speedster is much different from a Coupe.
While you could certain chop the top off a coupe and "create" some kind of 356 convertible, what you'd be left with would not be a Speedster.
And it certainly wouldn't be worth what the coupe was before you messed with it.
Want a Speedster? Build a replica and save yourself $100K.

I agree. Horrible Thought!

cal44 10-07-2008 09:55 AM

Old heap, regardless of right or wrong............lovely work. Please continue to post pix.

chrly924s 10-10-2008 08:08 PM

It would be easier to "turbo your NA"

JonesnSince78 10-28-2008 04:36 PM

Old Heap, awesome work! Thanks for posting the pics -- but, they must be photoshopped since the 'experts' say it's impossible. :rolleyes:

Can you email me?

justacoupe 10-28-2008 05:44 PM

"Old Heap" has [B]not[/B] produced a "convertible coupe." I've seen it and it is 100% Porsche... 100% Outlaw and totally Speedster in its form. No photo shop work here. It is the ultimate outlaw, in my humble opinion. He is a very talented guy and the finished car will be stunning.

TC/914 11-19-2008 12:24 AM

Just BEAUTIFUL work ! ! ! That "Speedster" just looks wonderful, especially in that shade of silver.

PLEASE post more pictures as soon as you can. Congratulations on some exceptionally well done craftsmanship and artistry.

TC

Stratman 11-25-2008 07:36 PM

I love it when someone says don't do it. I'm seriously thinking about doing the same thing to my car. I will be retired in 7 months so I have the rest of my life to get it right.

abolfaz 11-27-2008 12:33 PM

More pics please!

Old Heap 11-28-2008 05:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not too much new to show you, the finish cured for about a month before color sanding and polishing. But now, the final assembly is finally beginning.

Old Heap 11-28-2008 05:14 PM

Engine Inventory by the "Maestro" from West Michigan

2 Attachment(s)
I'll take the one one the left! My 912, almost ready to go.

bleucamaro 11-29-2008 05:04 PM

Wow, looking very nice there. I'm all for pissing off the purists and curmudgeons. What all have you done to the motor? And why are you going with carbs instead of EFI?

qtrrmile 01-29-2009 11:30 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics Dude! Love your work, keep up the good work. Post some pics when you're done. Can't wait to see that Coupe.

Chino911 02-01-2009 03:06 AM

Old Heap nice work.

onboost 02-02-2009 03:54 PM

Old Heap, where are you man... Jeez , post some more!!!

Schwabische Auto 02-11-2009 01:57 PM

Old Heap, awesome pics. Very nice work! Stick it to the purists and naysayers!! I m looking forward to seeing the pics of the completed project.

Kahdmus 02-12-2009 11:24 AM

Some truly great pics here, can't wait for an update!

:corn:

Schwabische Auto 03-15-2009 02:52 AM

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd love to see some updated pics on Old Heap's project, its been awhile.

96 993 03-15-2009 01:57 PM

Your car is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the shots. The silver makes it look like it was carved from a silver ingot.

Old Heap 03-15-2009 10:17 PM

Assembly Progress

4 Attachment(s)
It's always slow going with a unique project, a lot of unknowns are still out there to be discovered and resolved. But here is where I'm at.

The steering wheel is a combination of a stock 356A hub from a trashed wheel and an aluminum circle track sprint car wheel.

Homemade stainless fuel tank straps, and aluminum driving light brackets.
No bumpers planned.

Kahdmus 03-15-2009 10:26 PM

WOW! I don't know what else to say...apart from 'MORE, MORE!!!!!!!"

Thanks so much for the updated pictures! Brilliant stuff!

ked 03-16-2009 05:04 PM

great craftwork!
I'm curious about the sw spoke position blocking view of the tach...
(I'd rotate 180 degrees, but... it isn't my project!)
best of luck as you near completion.

Old Heap 03-16-2009 08:30 PM

Steering Wheel Position

1 Attachment(s)
You are right about it's position obstructing the tach, but it is also more comfortable when driving with your hands at 2:00 and 10:00. I used this illustration by Jay Koka, which I have, as inspiration. An easy change if the engine builder insists.

AHI 03-17-2009 12:17 AM

Wow, absolutely incredible....

ked 03-17-2009 01:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
indeed! of course, in that example, the factory moved the tach.
maybe a rev limiter will soothe the engine-man's nerves...
here're a coupla spyders...

Marco8 03-17-2009 12:07 PM

Holy Crap....I love it

Schwabische Auto 03-27-2009 12:46 PM

Old Heap, that's awesome.

Just a tease, awaiting the final reveal in all its glory! More More!

tcsracing1 06-10-2009 04:58 PM

Friend of mine here in canada has a convertible D rear skin with clean title, matching engine, doors and transmission. (rest of body rusted away years ago)

He also has a coupe donor body.

He is selling his restored 1965 356 C coupe to do the project.

Anybody looking for a good driver 356 or possible club racer for a good deal??

I helped build the 356C and would like to see it go to a new home so i can help with the D project.

vracer 06-15-2009 01:58 PM

I especially appreciated the before & after pics of the rear cowl. I have never had such a good look at the differences. Then I thought, "Why not use a C rear lid?" (I'm finishing resto on a Roadster, and beginning to worry about cooling of an SC-big bore engine.) Now the only problem I see is that it is so perfect that it will look like a real one.

TheBen 06-29-2012 09:03 PM

was this project ever finished?

justacoupe 06-29-2012 09:06 PM

Yes. Send a PM to "Old Heap" and he might respond. Beautiful car!

matara 01-15-2014 06:22 AM

Outlaw complete

Originally Posted by TheBen (Post 9649637)
was this project ever finished?

Certainly was, and what a great thing it ended up being. Love the exhaust note.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...t%204-Cylinder

Byron M 07-19-2014 03:53 AM

Just an FYI: There is a severely rusty donor coupe being built into a Speedster here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Re...r-Project.html
Byron

Marley213 07-27-2014 10:51 PM

Thanks for the interesting pictures!

Byron M 09-30-2014 02:59 AM

For anyone still interested in this conversion:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e02a73b8a6.jpg

Coupster project Update: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Re...tart=522#22193

Thanks Byron-

Byron M 02-02-2018 05:29 PM

The guy actually finished the conversion metal work. Such a big job I didn't think he was ever going to get it done.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7407b97792.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...259a56b7e2.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...63ef619d65.jpg
A bunch more photos here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Re...t=6&start=1464
Another coupe converted to a Speedster.

subshooter 06-08-2018 08:12 PM

Deleted. Wrong thread.