Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where has all the direction gone .... ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where has all the direction gone .... ??

For a considerable amount of time I have looked for a 356 coupe, cab or Speedy. eBay always has a running number of 'real cars' and 'replicas', too ... ALL THE TIME !

I check in on this Rennlist forum pretty frequently. Not much posted here ... or very often.

I guess I wonder why the members that have 'real cars' don't direct folks that are looking for 'real cars' to eBay listings or other places where a 'good' car can be had? I'm sure that these folks look in on these listings. It is interesting.

Something like ... "Hey, great driver coupe on eBay", or "Don't think about this one, it's over priced and crap" ... or, "Great driver with another 4K tossed at it, but a good, solid car" ... or, "This car has been sold and listed several times over the last couple years.... something's smells like a dead fish". Or some such.

Hey, you folks are the experts. Even if no one answers, it's pretty nice to know what the gurus of this forum think about a listed car ... from any Internet source. (sigh ...)

But, this Rennlist forum is pretty stale. Posting is pretty much sporadic and, to a great degree, self serving with the 'long term folks' making it a personal message board. I can dig it. No big deal. That's how thing evolve.

That said, don't you think that someone would point folks in some direction other than .... "check out the registry, bro"? Noobs and interested people like guidance, or direction of some sort. Plus, it sparks a conversation with opinions forthcoming. That makes this place more interesting and stimulating and eventful.

Just curious as to where the folks that are devout '356 real deals' are at when these auctions and listings occur?

Any responses out there? I'm sure there are.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad news, Bagger... indeed, you are seeking the 356 Registry's 356 Talk Email List, sign up @ http://www.356registry.org/356talk/join_or_leave.html
The 356 community, owners, businesses, the "action" in 356s resides there... going way back to pre-Rennlist / internet era - the demographics, specialization and geography conspire to make it so. I'm no expert, particularly not in comparison to the life-long pros that define the 356 community - I've just been into these cars since the '60s and now have a coupla my own. Here on RL, I try to answer questions accurately, point people toward broader / better sources, dialog about the subjective issues... and leave it at that.

Anytime you want a review of a specific 356 you've found, just post a link to it & I'll try to kibbitz - I enjoy helping others spending their $. If you want a reference to a pro shop or expert-for-hire, pm me & I'll give you some leads. cheers!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It is very quiet here and ked is right in everything he says. However, I did find my 356 right here last summer, and I do check in here frequently. So give us more details about what you are looking for, budget, etc., and I'm sure a few us might pipe up with something. Don't you also have a 997 in production now?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 AM
thapimp356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to put my two cents in. I always let Rennlist members know when I am selling a car. You would think the response would be to critique the car or even compare it to cars people may have owned, etc...

Mostly what I have gotten is people attacking me for using the board for the wrong reasons and the like. As a result I no longer post to Rennlist when I am selling a car. Does this make the list more "stale", I would say yes. If you want to see what I am talking about, check my old postings.

There are some real angry guys on this board.

Adam
63 Coupe 212104
60 Roadster 88361
71 914/6
Registry 17369
Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adam,
... unlike the Registry, where everyone is just hunky-dory, right? I don't think it's a question of anger (any examples?), but perhaps a difference of opinion over appropriateness / boundaries - some people are sticklers for procedure... most boards have a place for talking and another place for selling. Over on the Talk List, bandwidth seems to be in short supply, while over here its more a wide open world (w/ radical innovations such as pictures!). Some people don't mind a link to a sales posting, but are somehow bothered by a comprehensive and repeated sales-pitch in a discussion forum (when there is a "for sale" forum right next door). Then of course there is the issue of free use of a site for commercial purposes - tends to bother someone with real business overhead or who sponsors a site which competitors use for free. Lotsa issues where hobbies & biz intersect in the wonderful world web. Just post away to your heart's content - one's communication shouldn't be circumscribed by the perceived upset of others - should it? & best of luck finishing your cars (esp since I have a similar collection).
Registry #17698
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 AM
thapimp356
Intermediate

Oh yeah, it's anger. When people have said things like I do nothing for the 356 community, they need to get their facts straight. Or just read the Registry magazine, or Excellence, or stop by my booth at Hershey.

I would think when I post the "Barn Find" of 2006, Speedster # 243, the 43rd Speedster of regular production, that it would be of interest to a 356 board. If nothing else, to comment on such a great find, even if you have no interest in buying it. But not Rennlist, a couple of the regulars felt the need to attack me, without doing their homework.

It is too bad, this board could be great. You are right, the talk list is a little limiting. But at least on the talk list I am respected for my contributions to the 356 community.

Adam
63 Coupe 212104
60 Roadster 88361
71 914/6
Registry 17369
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

this barn find? https://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum/319934-a-beautiful-pre-a-356-speedster.html
keep in mind RL is a very broad-based Porsche community - people come here from many directions, so they may be (understandably) taken aback by the prices that some old rusty cars command - probably would feel the same about Duesies and Bugs - esp when all they know about the 356 is that it was some kinda variant of an early VW (hey - how 'bout them VW prices!). as to getting support for contributions, one could go a long time in life not getting recognition - I wouldn't worry too much over that - do what is good & self-satisfying, letting the chips fall wherever they may - has worked for me, anyway. despite that, allow me to thank you for the articles in Registry - I know how much is involved in turning out quality writing - your film reviews and the profiles on cars and owners are appreciated, at least by this reader.

anyone notice that the nice red ConvD on ebay went for over $95K? a well bought / well sold example, I think - provides a window into Speedster / D / Roadster values. the "car season" is about to ramp up again (Amelia Isl, All-Porsche Weekend in LA) - we shall see if 356 trends continue, accelerate (muscle car speculators seeking new territory?) or retrench (tightening of discretionary spending?).
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Adam,
For a guy from Brooklyn you sure have thin skin. Since I’m the one that used the phrase “while contributing nothing” I feel compelled to respond. My comment specifically referred to contributions to the discussion board. Go back and check. I never said “356 community”. I also feel that there is a big difference between offering a car or parts for sale to a group and advertising auctions. The difference is huge. ked’s comments above are right on the mark. I don’t think that anyone is angry. I do like people who play by the rules. Who knows, perhaps I would like you too once I met you. Maybe we’ll find out in Michigan. When you burst on the scene a couple of years ago on 356talk you rubbed a few of the knowledgeable the wrong way with, among other things, your internet handle.

pimp /pɪmp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pimp] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person, esp. a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usually in return for a share of the earnings; pander; procurer.
2. a despicable person.
3. Australia and New Zealand. an informer; stool pigeon.
–verb (used without object)
4. to act as a pimp.
–verb (used with object)
5. to act as a pimp for.
6. to exploit.
[Origin: 1630–40; orig. uncert.]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Most of us who love these wonderful old cars would not be proud of any of the above descriptions. That you feel the name fits leaves many scratching their heads and questioning your values.
Cheers,

Ron Hetherington
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
thapimp356
Intermediate

It has been a pleasure being on Rennlist, I think I will sign off now, for good. I don't think this is the right board for me.

Adam Wright
63 Coupe 212104
60 Roadster 88361
71 914/6
Registry 17369
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
It is very quiet here and ked is right in everything he says. However, I did find my 356 right here last summer, and I do check in here frequently. So give us more details about what you are looking for, budget, etc., and I'm sure a few us might pipe up with something. Don't you also have a 997 in production now?
Yes, Jim ... it is quite quiet here on the 356 forum. But, I see there has been some 'activity' with this thread. Perhaps not what I was looking for, but still ... activity.

And, yes .... I do have a 997 C4S coming soon. It's "on the boat" as I type. I'm looking forward to it a great deal. I should be driving it home in a couple weeks or so.

As far as what I'm looking for 356-wise ... well, like every warm blooded 356 wannabe, I'd like a terrific driver that was recently (or a few years ago) fully restored to the original beastie's specs. Good paint, good interior, good suspension, good tires, good radio ... yeah, radio ! And, I like coupes. Had a few early 911s and don't care much for drop top prices.

Oh, and I don't wanna spend more than 30K either. Pale yellow (don't remember the exact colour chip) with black, or red, or brown interior. Yeah, that'd be nice, too. Tho, the color is not that important ... just not black.

And, don't care about original motors, tho I'd like a 912. More punch is always enjoyed. Disc brakes all 'round, too.

Updated electrics to 12v would be a plus, too. Dim bulbs are not kewl. No rust, all panels replaced and perfect. Door/hood/bonnet gaps ... "great". New rubber seals, new and larger tires.

Late 50s early 60s car.

I know, I know .... I'm just a Johnny who's come up lately with some dreams of owning a 90 point car for a song. Who does not want such?

What should I do? Punt?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

how 'bout them Yankees?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Best advice I have Bagger is if you find an interesting car on eBay, post the link and see if anyone knows it. Although I don't have a 356, I have looked at a few and was able to point out some issues with a seller a few months ago. Good luck in your search
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Bagger - Since you want a coupe, you ought to be able to do OK in your budget. Do try to find a car that has a good repaint that still looks good - mine is a 10 footer or so but its nagging at me to repaint, and that ain't cheap. Obviously avoid rust. Otherwise, you can calculate the cost of most stuff you might have to do.

Don't sweat wheels and tires - I put 4 new chrome 5.5" wheels (repros) and 4 new tires on, all for the cost of one rear 997S tire!

Good luck in your hunt!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thapimp356
It has been a pleasure being on Rennlist, I think I will sign off now, for good. I don't think this is the right board for me.
I guess this would be a bad time to plug the Rennlist dinner banquet at Hershey this year since you said are going to be going...

Check it out here...

Old 03-06-2007, 09:19 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bagger, you've provided great parameters - don't punt / be patient! the benefit of my ignorance follows...

"I'd like a terrific driver that was recently (or a few years ago) fully restored to the original beastie's specs."
resp> great approach... the longer ago it was restored, the better the deal you might be able to strike. also, one can better determine the quality of a restoration if it has some time & miles on it. history / documentation before, during & after the rest. is a plus.

"... I don't wanna spend more than 30K either."
resp> good! a budget introduces sanity. $30K is on just above the bottom edge of what you will find w/ your parameters - & that edge may be rising...

"Pale yellow (don't remember the exact colour chip) with black, or red, or brown interior. Yeah, that'd be nice, too. Tho, the color is not that important ... just not black."
resp> again good, it is better to eliminate a color you don't want than insist upon one color you do - too many times people buy the color & overlook the disaster beneath... repaints, though not cheap, are cheaper than derusting & re-repair of old accident damage.

"And, don't care about original motors, tho I'd like a 912. More punch is always enjoyed. Disc brakes all 'round, too."
resp> good, giving up on "#s matching" may help you stay on budget, & for a driver, a good motor is a good motor, period - don't reject a good N if it drives to suit your taste. a disc brake set up is nice, but can always be added later to an A or B (& a car w/ problematic brakes, like many not driven frequently, may be price discounted, then you can upgrade later).

"Updated electrics to 12v would be a plus, too. Dim bulbs are not kewl. No rust, all panels replaced and perfect. Door/hood/bonnet gaps ... "great". New rubber seals, new and larger tires."
resp> fine, but the more you insist on detailed items being "perfect" the more the car will cost. decide what is critical, non-negotiable. (no rust / good gaps & panels), be flexible on all else that is manageable; electrics, bulbs, whls & tires...

"Late 50s early 60s car."
resp> this means an A or B Coupe - research them, there was lotsa change over this period. I'd look at em all, but I think the late B Coupe w/ a N or S motor is a great car & relatively undervalued among 356s. all "imo" of course - hope this helps & happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Where has all the direction gone .... ??