Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the right price...

Old 07-31-2001, 04:05 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What's the right price...

I am a 993 owner, but recently drove past a very nice looking 356c 1963 or 1964 i think. Cream color, black interior. Very nice body, rebuilt motor. It looks very, very nice, and seems to have all original interior. The car is offered for $19,900, and I have half a mine to just write a check. Where do these things trade?????
Old 07-31-2001, 08:42 PM
soterik
8th Gear

Could a 63 or 64 356 be priced at $19,900....yes...but that's getting into the pricing area where you should be getting a very nice car for the money, and a pretty "correct" car at that.

But, you don't know enough to warrant just writing a check...

Do the numbers match, is it original color, have you had it checked by a shop for mechanicals, rust, are the things that have been restored been restored correctly, etc etc.

They could have patched the rust with cardboard, and painted over it with undercoating (yes, it's happened...).

There's another site you should check out, and you can post your q's on that site, it's www.356registry.org There's a discussion board on there as well, and it's very heavily trafficked.

I love those old cars, but I know people who have seen a car they like, written the check, and then spent the next 6 months just fixing things so it would roll down the street straight!

regards,
Eric
56 Speedster
67 911S
69 911S
71 911E
Old 08-04-2001, 04:43 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

I agree with Soterik, the 356 Registry is a good reference. As well as being a great parts source. I'd suggest getting a subscription to their magazine. Several knowledgeable 356 people can be available, through the list, or the magazine. Having been fortunate enough to have been around a '56 356A since it and I were 7 years old, they are fun cars to drive, but rarely seen. Be aware of RUST! For that price, be certain to have it well inspected!
Old 08-06-2001, 11:03 PM
Speed
Pro

This past March I bought a 1963 356B cabriolet that I found in the Excellence classifieds in Atlanta for $33,000. The car was in excellent condition with matching numbers (chassis and engine); original leather seats; new top and boot and 4,000 mi. on a rebuilt engine. There was no rust and the car had been maintained and restored by one of the leading Porsche mechanics in the Atlanta area. The car is just below concours quality but is really nice as a weekend driver. That will have a bearing on the price: a concours level car of this vintage could cost $40,000 to $50,000; but a good driver could be half that.

You really have to do some research on these cars and I would not buy one sight unseen. I went to Atlanta to see the car and had the seller put it up on a lift so that I could check for rust. If you get a good car, they're a lot of fun to drive
Old 08-09-2001, 09:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I have purchased a copy of Jim Schragers book on the 356 and if you were looking for a 356 I think it would be money well spent,
Ciao,
Adrian
Old 08-15-2001, 02:46 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I agree wholeheartedly with Adrian. I've read the books by Schrager, Brett Johnson, Conradt, and Thiers. As a practical guide to get you started, Schrager's book can't be beat.

I'm going to start looking for a Convertible D in a few months.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:58 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

I know I am getting in on this a little late... But...

I think that price seems like a nice starting point. The three five six just has to be my favorite Porsche.

Here is a photo of mine w/ my wife:

1963 356B 1600"S" coupe. $16,500 bought it. It was all number matching, could drive it from coast to coast if you wanted too. It even had an interesting & somewhat "celeb" history. Only 68K miles, and had records back to when it was new, including the original black Cali license plate.

There is nothing like the sound of that 1600 when you fire it up, or run it through the gears.

They are great cars. Live your dream. Life is too short not too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the right price...