Sponsored by:

This seems like a deal.....yes another newbie about prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default This seems like a deal.....yes another newbie about prices

Is this a deal? I've always admired the 356s and have the room for one but not the knowledge. However, its tempting to jump on something if its a good deal(I do this successfully about 75% of the time and dreadfully 25%) and I'd like your initial opinions on if this is a [I]"track this guy down with cash tonight!!!" or an "OK deal but be patient and you could find another like that".

Here's the Craigslist link http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/car/192044031.html

If that doesnt work here's the description and there is a picture on Boston Craigslist.....
Porsche 1962 356C

Low original miles (29,000) .
Excellent straight body, needs drivers door hinges repaired otherwise great shape.
Engine has less than 1000 miles since rebuild (have all invoices).
Runs excellent and drives superb! Summer car with no convertible top.
Great sunny day driver, must sell lost storage. $12,000.

P.S> I've owned classic cars and own a 993 and would have a car inspected professionally, etc
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Impossible for it to be a 356 C..
1962 is a 356 B.
They started building the 356 C's in 1964. Maybe it's a B with a C engine in it??

B Cabs go for 35,000.00 and up. Careful this smells a little Phishy too......................

J
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it's a B (note door panel). how'd the door hinges get messed up? why no top? in fact, is it a "chopped" B coupe w/ alot of hidden rot? anyway, have an expert examine it. if there are any significant issues or chequered history, I would not recommend it as a first 356 - might sour you on them forever (not to mention a drain on the treasury). familiarize yourself w/ no-stories drivers & concours examples & keep saving the $s.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO top..! lol

Pictures look like they are 20years old. I'd say if you're already in Boston call and check it out at least. May not be a "buy" but you would gain some 356 experience.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

good advice...I'll keep this from being one of my 25% disasters. Sounds like $12K is very low unless its got major issues.

just curious, if it is a chopped 356 B(sounds likely) but its in good mechanical condition what might it be worth.....$8K? Has anyone seen a custom chopped 356 done well?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top would set you back...in this day and age, with the internet having as much information as you'd like, it's almost impossible that even an idiot wouldn't know approximately what his car is worth. If the guy posted on Craigslist, he obviously is no stranger to how the internet works.

I would ask him for some pictures of the rear interior compartment, tonneau off, and see if he can supply you with those. That should answer everyone's question about the chop job. See if you can get some engine pictures too. At least that will determine if the guy actually has the car or if he wants you to 'wire money and I will wire you back the difference, then you can pick the car up from my associate here in Boston'.

Seems WAYYY too good to be true. See if anyone in the Boston area can go have a look-see and you'll know if you should proceed.

Quick Reply: This seems like a deal.....yes another newbie about prices