My faith in my fellow man has been sorely tested

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 06:37 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My faith in my fellow man has been sorely tested

I went to the combined concours/parts swap meet sponsored by one of the local PCA chapters (Loma Prieta) at Part Heaven, a local Porsche parts re-cycler in an industrial area. I did think, as I parked in one of the industrial park lots across the street, that maybe driving a restored old Porsche to a parts meet was not the wisest idea, but then assured myself that the fraternity of Porsche owners would never go after anothers' parts while they were still on his car.

When I returned a couple of hours later, I found that someone had apparently tried to remove my Super 90 script.

I am going to remove it after the engine (and I) cool down to see if I can straighten it Any suggestions on where to get another (preferably NOS) one assuming I am unsuccessful?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jay...this person should be in a cage! Do not try to straighten yourself...take it to a metal guy...maybe a little bit of heat will soften the metal and straightening will be easier...don't do it without the proper tools and skills...sorry about that...I can feel your pain!

Take care...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That REALLY SUCKS big time. Maybe you should ask the editors of both the Loma Prieta Post and the Golden Gate region Nugget to publish this photo with a description of the damage and the circumstances to flush this goon out or at least point out the idiocy of his/her actions.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

That is so wrong

Rob
91 964 Cab
66 912 Coupe
Jersey UK
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
That REALLY SUCKS big time. Maybe you should ask the editors of both the Loma Prieta Post and the Golden Gate region Nugget to publish this photo with a description of the damage and the circumstances to flush this goon out or at least point out the idiocy of his/her actions.
Now that's a good idea!!!

Jay........ Did you ever get it fixed?

JoAnne
Old 06-09-2005, 10:23 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay........ Did you ever get it fixed?

Well, sort of. I took part of Pedro's advice (the "apply heat" part, not the "don't try this at home" part ), and with the judicious use of a soldering iron, a jig made from some wooden bolcks and a workbench, several different sizes of pliers and vice grips (each covered with the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape, to prevent scratching) , and the most important ingredient, patience, I was able to get it back to an acceptable version of its original self. There is a small kink in the line between the "S" and the "U" that I was not able to get out, but most people would probably not notice (but I always will, of course ).

I will point the event organizer to this thread-they may want to consider hiring security to patrol the parking area in the future.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jay...congrats...you'll get used to it...it's part of the "time patina"...at first you'll avoid looking at it...then, with time you'll accept it and finally, after some time, you'll be proud of the scars...after all, this car did beat the thief...Super "though" 90...

PS. I'd love to try your pliers at the thief's private parts...with no duct tape of course!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

PS. I'd love to try your pliers at the thief's private parts...with no duct tape of course!!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JayM
You'd need the duct tape...... to cover his mouth so no one could hear him
SCREAM!!!!

Glad you were able to get it fixed!

JoAnne

Quick Reply: My faith in my fellow man has been sorely tested