Sponsored by:

New Member, probably with the same old story

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
sevnseat
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, probably with the same old story -- UPDATE

So I thought I would join up here, even tho I am still without 356 in posession. There's a happy/sad story combined here about this car... And I'll share, as a way of introducing myself... But First an amusing Flat 6 story to start off.

I am helping my roommate do the oil on his 86 911... Now I've never done this before, nor has he... We open the oil resivor. And watch as it quickly overwhelms the opening on the oil pan and proceeds to create our own little mini exxon-valdez in the garage. There's gotta be a better way to do that... maybe someone one here knows?

Either way, got me on this forum, so I thought I would say hello.

"My" 356 is actually my uncle's that was given to me as a graduation present. It's one of those true barn finds that hasn't been moved in probably 12 years. But it's beautiful. I was six when I saw it the first time. a 63B. I know, it's not rare, it's not a super motor, but it's got family history and it made me fall in love. SO either way, it was given to me on my graduation from college. My uncle said he would get it fixed for me and I could buy it from him for the cost of cleaning it up (about 4-5k he said) seems fair. Sadly, my uncle has taken very ill and the car is not doing anything right now, and has sat for a full year. I'd like to go and claim it, but it's just not right to with the way he is right now. I'm afraid too if he dies, which will be bad in its own right, that his awful daughter will take it and sell it and our piece of family history will be gone for forever.

So a long intro, but Hi! glad to be here.

Last edited by sevnseat; 07-19-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 140 Posts

For a 911, get a pan with a bigger hole or one that is completely open, flat sixes gush 10 quarts in 3 seconds, but ironically choke if you refill too fast ;-)

For the 356, tough deal - if it were me I'd talk to my uncle, get the car signed over to me and get it running ASAP - then give said uncle a ride in it, that should improve his spirits and health !!!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with Greg in both counts...

Now, as far as being rare...a guy from the 356 registry just drove and reported more than 5,000 miles through 7 states (including the highly 356 populated CA) and he did not spot one single 356...hence, they are rare indeed regardless of model or year!

Good luck...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:43 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

As Pedro said, All 356's are rare and SPECIAL.

Really try to get your uncle to sign the car over to you now. Find a local 356 person to help you get it started and out of there. Join 356talk and I'm sure you'll find someone nearby who can lend a helping hand. Just go to www.356registry.org and sign up for the talklist. You do not have to be a member of the registry to belong.

Welcome and Good Luck!! Please keep us informed on how things go.

JoAnne
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
sevnseat
3rd Gear

Yeah, there's no chance of that really, it will be flatbedded up here if it all works out. Tires are hosed, motor hasn;t been run in quite some time, etc. etc. etc. all in all, I've got a buddy who rallies and has a rig I could borrow, but yes, I'll probably end up on that list at some point... I just want the thing in the garage!...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
sevnseat
3rd Gear

So here's an update.... literally a week after I posted this message my uncle passed away, never had a chance to see him before he parted . I let the issue sit as I couldnt' really go to my aunt and be like "ok then... lets get this going" But it has been in the back of my mind. I'm in the process of crafting a letter to her currently. It's my goal to have the car in the garage by the end of the summer or fall so the teardown can begin.... wish me luck. I'm thinking it's gonna be an engine and trans pull. I've got a buddy who's a maniac and loves transmission work, so that'll go to him and will be fixed for cost of parts. I'm going to freshen up the motor. Body will go out for paint. Everything I've heard is that there's no rust on the body, which would be great. I'm thinkin around 10-15k for the work. I'll keep you posted. I just can't wait for the day when I can post pics of the relic being loaded onto the rig from a barn in the middle of nowhere, PA.

Quick Reply: New Member, probably with the same old story