Sponsored by:

Advice needed on which Speedster to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Advice needed on which Speedster to get

I've been reading this forum with envy for years but spending most time on the 996 and 997 boards. I've always owned new Porsches but always wanted an old Speedster. The longer I look, the higher the prices go and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger before they get beyond reach. I plan to drive it on weekends and a couple Porsche Club events a year (the 356'rs always seem to have more fun than us new P car owners anyway). I'll still keep my 997 but it will be nice to have a Porsche that doesn't depreciate $10k a year for a change ( I hope). I have found two that I like, but they are very different, hence my dilemma. Both are 1955's, between $75-85K and are fairly recent total restorations. One is not quite as nicely done but all numbers matching with original or restored to original, drivetrain (60 hp), brakes, 6v, steering box, wheels, etc. The other is showroom perfect but not as much original- late model 356 super engine, trans, brakes, wheels, 12v, etc. Never having owned one, I suspect the original one will retain it's value and appreciate more but the upgraded one is much more fun to drive and likely more reliable for longer trips. I'm leaning toward the nicer less original one with the upgrades because I want to drive and enjoy it rather than just keep it in the garage. What do you experts think? Will the upgraded one still increase in value or is it likely maxed out already? Since I'm new to the 356 world and haven't had time to read all the great books out there, I will appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

kevin
Old 05-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd drive both, as every vintage Porsche has its unique soul, and your heart will say which one is yours!

Good luck...
Old 05-11-2005, 12:44 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Or just to be sure - buy both!

And then give the one you don't want to me
Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Original, you can always fix it up later. I think value wise, at these prices, you want original.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

The original will always be worth more in the long run if you want to hold on to it for a short while, make some minor fixes, and then sell it. Personally, we'd take the modifed if it was to be a keeper. We are no longer the sticklers for originality as we used to be

BTW: You have a PM......

JoAnne
Old 05-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree, go with original - you're not gonna drive it all the time either so the upgrades of the other are not all that significant... I mean, you'll enjoy it, but would you take this $80K car to a safeway parking lot ? The original one will also give you a chance to tinker !!! Besides, good porsches don't break down any place other than your driveway (my experience with 6 of them so far)
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Original. A bit more effort, but it will be worth it two years from now...I'm in the same boat...I'm leaning to original.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Focus on the quality of the body restoration...all else is secondary. don't be impressed with new carpet and shiney gauges--these items are a no brainer, instead inspect every nook and cranny of the chassis and body structure looking for poor repairs and other fishy business. Remove the door panels and look for badness, ignore wood steering wheels and tool kits, look for excessive bondo and cobbled up clip cars. Don't drool over matching numbers, they are frequently faked. Do pay attention to the quality of the paint. If the body is acceptable then move on to the mechanicals and so forth...(original tool kits are worth $2,500)

The Speedster market is a world all it's own, and unless the car is modified/updated with non 356 parts there will always be a strong market for the car because even non-enthusiasts want Speedsters

I think you would appreciate the car with the updated mechanicals if you intend to drive it much. The early transmissions are not particularly smooth, the VW steering box is not terribly inspiring, and even though 60 hp is adequate, you will long for more HP, as the chassis is designed to handle the 110 hp Carrera engine.
Why not take it to Safeway? just park in front whenever you can--most folks will think it's a replica and not give it a second look.
Later 356 mechanicals will not eliminate tinkering in any way, and will need just as much attention as the early cars....in fact maybe more, because the carburators got bigger and more complex.....but worth the extra power.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks for all the input! The original one is no longer available and I won't be able to see or drive the updated Speedster until next month. That gives me a few weeks to learn all I can and do more research. I have no doubt the more original one will increase more in value over time but I also know I want to drive and enjoy it and would likely upgrade an original one anyway. I'll post pictures and details if and when it happens. Most of all, I'm so impressed with the tight network of 356 enthusiasts that share information and truly have a passion for this special vehicle. I can't wait to be a part of it. It almost makes me want to restore one myself but I don't have the time or technical expertise and I doubt it exists in Greensboro, NC.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on which Speedster to get