Sponsored by:

Cant Start my 356

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 08:17 AM
John Hilbery
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Start my 356

Hello my husband and I have a 1962 356B T6 . I'm very sad to say that my husband suddenly passed away a few months ago. The car is in our garage and I'm trying to move it but when I put the ignition key in it won't turn and therefore no power it seems as if there may be a cut-off switch which I vaguely remember my husband mentioning although I didn't think he would've switched it on in the garage however if anyone can tell me where I might be able to locate that cut off switch I could give that a try and hopefully the engine within turnover.

Many thanks M
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Dear M,

I’m sorry to hear that your hudband passed away.

Open the trunk, there is a **** under dash left side.
The battery is in the trunk, standing in front, it’s on the left side. That is also a common location for a main switch. Check also that both cables are attached to the battery. There is in the garage probably a battery charger, you could charge the battery. The + and - is usually marked.

Start with this and let us know how it turn out.
As you know, to close the hood, lift it up and then it should close. No force is needed.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:49 AM
John Hilbery
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for your reply Vane

I have checked as you suggested but cannot see anything that resembles a cut-off switch.

The battery is connected and also has a trickle charger attached to it. When I put the ignition key in it appears as if it won't turn completely as if it is locked in someway so have no idea what is causing this to happen which makes me think there is a cut-off switch somewhere but I just don't know where.

Kind regards M
Old 11-23-2021, 03:09 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I know it sounds silly, but call aaa and they can most likely point you in the right direction
The following users liked this post:
Rennman (10-13-2022)
Old 11-24-2021, 01:41 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ask this question on the "356 Registry" website, you may get a better answer or some actual assistance by someone near you to help your cause...
Good luck
Old 11-25-2021, 01:42 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

There may be a factory installed “kill switch” mounted under the dash and located to the left of the radio as you face the dash. That switch is a “push-pull” configuration and to get power to the engine, that switch must be pulled down towards the floor. Use your right hand to access that switch.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:57 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt L
Ask this question on the "356 Registry" website, you may get a better answer or some actual assistance by someone near you to help your cause...
Good luck
Good point! I’m not sure if you can write on 356Reg forum, but you should be able to contact the people.
Of course, I can post your question there if you wish.
356Reg people are also very helpful.
Old 06-09-2024, 03:08 PM
FletcherHubbard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Hilbery
Hello my husband and I have a 1962 356B T6 . I'm very sad to say that my husband suddenly passed away a few months ago. The car is in our garage and I'm trying to move it but when I put the ignition key in it won't turn and therefore no power it seems as if there may be a cut-off switch which I vaguely remember my husband mentioning although I didn't think he would've switched it on in the garage however if anyone can tell me where I might be able to locate that cut off switch I could give that a try and hopefully the engine within turnover.Many thanks M
The battery is in the trunk, standing in front, it’s on the left side. That is also a common location for a main switch. Check also that both cables are attached to the battery. There is in the garage probably a battery charger, you could charge the battery. The + and - is usually marked.

Last edited by FletcherHubbard; 06-09-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:02 AM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 94 Posts

Depending on your location asking for help on the other larger forum mentioned may get some local 356 members to come to your location and help you out. In my brief experience 356 owners are a helpful friendly group .

Quick Reply: Cant Start my 356