Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Beck and other kits

Old 03-08-2019, 12:19 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Thoughts on Beck and other kits

I don’t have a 356 but my young son wants me to dump the 993 to get a 356 outlaw. The 356 Et al are way beyond my reach. And it got me looking into these intermeccanica and JPS and beck type kits. I’ve ever liked the premise of kit cars for a variety of reasons

I think that if you have the means then you have the right and others shouldn’t rip off the design

also kits are basically an admission that you don’t have a better idea

and it’s admission that while you respect and want to pay tribute (convenient word for emulate) to a great marque, you basically can’t swing it for real

are there other trains of thought that justify a kit?

Imo this applies to the cobras and Daytona coupes and singers and superformance and others as well

as a 356 owner, what do you think when you happen upon a kit? Are you flattered or offended or indifferent? Are you more appreciative of your car by seeing the extent to which others will go to copy it?

what would a new beck be if Porsche hadn’t paved the trail nearly 70 yrs ago?

Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM
marknkidz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
I don’t have a 356 but my young son wants me to dump the 993 to get a 356 outlaw. The 356 Et al are way beyond my reach. And it got me looking into these intermeccanica and JPS and beck type kits. I’ve ever liked the premise of kit cars for a variety of reasons

I think that if you have the means then you have the right and others shouldn’t rip off the design

also kits are basically an admission that you don’t have a better idea

and it’s admission that while you respect and want to pay tribute (convenient word for emulate) to a great marque, you basically can’t swing it for real

are there other trains of thought that justify a kit?

Imo this applies to the cobras and Daytona coupes and singers and superformance and others as well

as a 356 owner, what do you think when you happen upon a kit? Are you flattered or offended or indifferent? Are you more appreciative of your car by seeing the extent to which others will go to copy it?

what would a new beck be if Porsche hadn’t paved the trail nearly 70 yrs ago?

i have a 356... and at one point considered a kit car.... My buddy, who owns a Ferrari and a GT-3.. has a speedster replica.. LOVES IT!! I could careless when i come across one, im new to the 356 game, and honestly i can barely tell a real one from a kit!! Im guessing 99.9% of the people who youd pass would think its real!! and if it was real 99.9% would think its a replica.. so whatever makes ya happy!! do it!!

i saw a company doing Replica speedsters fully ELECTRIC... now that would be kool!!

only thing id do if i was gonna get a replica... is make sure the VW donor pan is older.. so you can use or get the vintage plate from the 50's era, as car is titled based on vin of donor pan, at least here in Cali.
The following users liked this post:
indyecab (02-25-2023)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As a 356 owner myself, I don't mind the kits. Even the wild outlaw kits are interesting.
But for a daily driver I would look into Starke Speedsters.... 100% Porsche, kinda….
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Our local 82 year old juvenile delinquent...Chuck Beck
Chuck Beck has a new prototype running around - its a fiberglass replica of a 356B coupe with a midships mounted Subaru engine - 170 HP and 1800 lbs. He was demonstrating its ability to do donuts at our local 356 club meet a couple of weeks ago.
He's working on suspension settings now - says it is a bit twitchier than his 904 replica due to the shorter wheelbase.

The following 2 users liked this post by JackW:
jcgoodlett2 (11-29-2022), masti99 (06-21-2022)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 AM
donco
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 1958 356A coupe in 1973 after selling my 912. I use to buy parts from Aase Bros. when they were still in Santa Ana, and struck up a friendship with Dave Aase (RIP bro). He made me a deal on a never mounted 356A roof clip with a manual sliding metal sunroof. I installed it in 1975. This was long before modding a 356 was taboo. I remember taking my car out for a spin with the roof cut off, and decided at that moment, I must have a Cab or Speedster one day. By the time I had the means to buy one, prices had already started rising thru the roof. That's when I learned of Intermeccanica when they were in Santa Ana. I went to their shop and fell in love with their Speedster display model. It had a tentative buyer who reneged on the deal. They sold it to me for $5400, complete, ready to be mounted on my chassis. I bought a 67 VW beetle as a donor, cut the pan, mounted the body, did the other misc, mods, and powered it with a 68 912 motor. It was a blast, I never should have sold it. At least I had the sense to keep the 912 motor and sold the car with the VW motor.

At the time, Intermeccanica was one of the better Speedster replicas. If I had waited a few years later, they made a Convertible D with roll-up glass windows. The Speedster side curtains were useless in the rain. Intermeccanica's assembly manual was top notch, no ambiguity and entirely doable for the home mechanic, with a few basic welding tools. As for the "stigma" of being a knock-off, I never let it bother me, and I never presented it as authentic. One of the reasons I sold it, was there was no solid market as far as what it was worth.

Other cars you might consider, I don't know if they still exist, but at one time there was an outfit in Fargo, ND, that made Austin Healy replica bodies, that mounted to Mustang II, Pinto, or their own tube frame chassis, with many drivetrain options. A Cobra replica would be a blast, but pricey. I have several friends who have built one. They have a faithful following and aren't shamed for being a replica.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have been on a budget for a long time. And a real speedster and real cobra were well out of my reach.
I have considered Intermeccanica for a speedster and Factory 5 for my Cobra fetish.

I ended up finding a real speedster project and I am very happy to have such a special car. I am much happier then having a Intermeccanica as the experience i am enjoying is real deal.
When i see Intermeccanias I like them, but i now think they take away how special a real example can be. These cars shouldnt be "common".

I finished my factory 5 last year. It is really cool. But it just isnt the real thing and i find myself still pondering about the real deal car to fill that hole in my heart.
I really like how i can beat on it and park it anywhere however.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=tcsracing1;15726625]I have been on a budget for a long time.

Would LOVE to see your lineup of cars if you weren’t on a budget......l
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

[QUOTE=K964;15727716]
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Would LOVE to see your lineup of cars if you weren’t on a budget......l
my budget slowly increased over the years
Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM
brainf18
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Wether its a 356 speedster or other "tribute" car, I posted this in a different thread but it applies to this one as well...

I've been interested in the Beck / Special Edition (S.E.) 904 GTS for quite some time. Opinions vary but for me, the 904 is one of the most beautiful and well-proportioned cars ever made and I think the S.E. 904’s shape looks as good or perhaps a little better than Porsche’s original. In February of 2019 after many years of consideration, I put down a deposit on 904 GTS Chassis #53 to secure a production slot.

Before going too far I want to address the elephant in the room and a point of debate around "tribute" cars like the Beck. Many Porsche “purists” on the forums speak harshly about replicas. And that’s fine…these car is not for everyone. That said, I've been a Porsche owner and racer for many decades and I've owned examples of every generation 911 (minus the 964) since my first 1982 911 SC along with 924/ 944/968 models and race cars including a Spec 944 and Spec E30. My current ride is a 991.1 Carrera S. So it’s fair to say I’m a died-in-the-wool Porschephile. But there’s a problem - I've found that I no longer like or enjoy overstuffed modern cars with all the video touch screens, beeping parking sensors, Bluetooth, lane departure warnings etc. For me, all of this detracts from the driving experience. Milage will vary for others of course...

My favorite cars of all time were my 1987 911 Carrera G50 and 1997 993 MO30. They had AC, a radio and not much else other than its wonderful, driving dynamics and amazing flat 6 mechanical symphony resonating from the back. I can’t buy a “new” air cooled 911 so for me the S.E. 904 seems to scratch this itch - it’s like having the best of everything. Commissioning a car, custom built to my personal specifications, is also definitely part of the appeal. And if I never see another one on the road, all the better

Now - To answer the question everyone seems to debate: Is the Beck 904 a Porsche?No of course it isn’t, and I would never represent it as such. However, in many ways I view the Special Edition 904 much in the same way as the Singer 911 “Reimagined”, which have become widely accepted and sought after. Are either the Singer 911 or Beck replicas as the factory created them…No. Are they extremely well engineered and built – Yes, albeit 904GTS is not built to the same insanely OCD levels of the Singer 911. They both are not inexpensive and have very limited production numbers. Mine is #53 after over 19 years of being produced. One of the things that attracted me to the S.E. 904 was that they deliberately and purposefully use Porsche parts throughout the build. The 904 GTS build will take anywhere from 18-24 months, so it’s not a fast process. When it’s completed the S.E. 904 will be a mid-engined “exotic” car with a 993 Varioram, 300HP engine mated to a 915 gearbox mounted in a car weighing less than 1800 lb. with performance numbers that match or exceed the latest GT3RS.

The S.E. 904 GTS seems to me like the answer to automotive modernism gone awry. I believe cars are for driving, and from a pragmatic viewpoint, I don't mind driving a tribute car on public roads or at the track. If a texting driver hits the car (assuming no injuries) no big deal. I don't think anyone (minus Jerry Seinfeld) can say that about vintage Porsche models that are worth millions. The risks to the cars and history are just too great to really enjoy them the way they were meant to be.

Beck Replica 904GTS

904GTS in the Porsche Museum

Last edited by brainf18; 05-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by brainf18:
ckit73 (02-21-2020), jcgoodlett2 (11-29-2022), por356 (12-04-2022)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Love my fake 356!

It's affordable and fun! Drives better than any original ever did...2110cc stroker, 4 wheel disc brakes.
Beck builds a fantastic product and that 904 is going to be the cats meow!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently took delivery of my Beck made by Special Edition. Some have used the term "Kit Car". This is not a kit. It was completely manufactured in Indiana and I drove it the 350 mikes home.
Special Edition's customer service is fantastic. Carey Hines (President) answers the phone and calls back. Answers emails and messages posted on their FB Page.
I am happy with the quality of the build.
The following 3 users liked this post by BoomC2S:
brainf18 (10-19-2019), ckit73 (02-21-2020), cyall8r (08-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 PM
brainf18
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomC2S
I recently took delivery of my Beck made by Special Edition. Some have used the term "Kit Car". This is not a kit. It was completely manufactured in Indiana and I drove it the 350 mikes home.
Special Edition's customer service is fantastic. Carey Hines (President) answers the phone and calls back. Answers emails and messages posted on their FB Page.
I am happy with the quality of the build.

+1 for Special Edition and Carey. Top notch customer service!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I just purchased a Beck Speedster. It's on a truck on its way across the country. Will have it Monday.
I can't wait to get it. I have wanted a 356 Speedster for so long.
Not willing to spend the money on a real one (would have to sell 911 and RS5).
The one I have coming is Subaru powered.....it was built in November 2016 and supposedly the guy who looked it over for Kevin Hines said it looked like it was just completed.
Bought it used with 3100 miles but Kevin Hines is the one that connected me with the seller.
Kevin was SUPER helpful and very pleasant to talk with.
The owner called Kevin last week to tell him he was going to sell it.
I happen to email Beck on Friday morning and he told me about the car Friday evening. I spoke to the owner on Monday and bought the car.
Car was for sale for about 72 hours and I paid asking price.
There is a 14 month wait for a new one right now...
Beck seems to hold value better than any other replica.
I will report back when I get the car and see how I like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3 Nut:
brainf18 (07-05-2019), jcgoodlett2 (11-29-2022)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Technom3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

buy a vintage Speedster from the guys in Arizona. They actually have a new carbon fiber body and aluminum subframe. it is amazing
Old 07-30-2019, 01:00 PM
nvrsetl
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I just purchased a Beck Speedster. It's on a truck on its way across the country. Will have it Monday.
I can't wait to get it. I have wanted a 356 Speedster for so long.
Not willing to spend the money on a real one (would have to sell 911 and RS5).
The one I have coming is Subaru powered.....it was built in November 2016 and supposedly the guy who looked it over for Kevin Hines said it looked like it was just completed.
Bought it used with 3100 miles but Kevin Hines is the one that connected me with the seller.
Kevin was SUPER helpful and very pleasant to talk with.
The owner called Kevin last week to tell him he was going to sell it.
I happen to email Beck on Friday morning and he told me about the car Friday evening. I spoke to the owner on Monday and bought the car.
Car was for sale for about 72 hours and I paid asking price.
There is a 14 month wait for a new one right now...
Beck seems to hold value better than any other replica.
I will report back when I get the car and see how I like it.
Any feedback and pics on the 356 Speedster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on Beck and other kits