Notices

Thoughts on Beck and other kits

Old 03-08-2019, 12:19 AM
nowata
User

Default Thoughts on Beck and other kits

I donít have a 356 but my young son wants me to dump the 993 to get a 356 outlaw. The 356 Et al are way beyond my reach. And it got me looking into these intermeccanica and JPS and beck type kits. Iíve ever liked the premise of kit cars for a variety of reasons

I think that if you have the means then you have the right and others shouldnít rip off the design

also kits are basically an admission that you donít have a better idea

and itís admission that while you respect and want to pay tribute (convenient word for emulate) to a great marque, you basically canít swing it for real

are there other trains of thought that justify a kit?

Imo this applies to the cobras and Daytona coupes and singers and superformance and others as well

as a 356 owner, what do you think when you happen upon a kit? Are you flattered or offended or indifferent? Are you more appreciative of your car by seeing the extent to which others will go to copy it?

what would a new beck be if Porsche hadnít paved the trail nearly 70 yrs ago?

Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM
marknkidz
New User

Originally Posted by nowata View Post
I donít have a 356 but my young son wants me to dump the 993 to get a 356 outlaw. The 356 Et al are way beyond my reach. And it got me looking into these intermeccanica and JPS and beck type kits. Iíve ever liked the premise of kit cars for a variety of reasons

I think that if you have the means then you have the right and others shouldnít rip off the design

also kits are basically an admission that you donít have a better idea

and itís admission that while you respect and want to pay tribute (convenient word for emulate) to a great marque, you basically canít swing it for real

are there other trains of thought that justify a kit?

Imo this applies to the cobras and Daytona coupes and singers and superformance and others as well

as a 356 owner, what do you think when you happen upon a kit? Are you flattered or offended or indifferent? Are you more appreciative of your car by seeing the extent to which others will go to copy it?

what would a new beck be if Porsche hadnít paved the trail nearly 70 yrs ago?

i have a 356... and at one point considered a kit car.... My buddy, who owns a Ferrari and a GT-3.. has a speedster replica.. LOVES IT!! I could careless when i come across one, im new to the 356 game, and honestly i can barely tell a real one from a kit!! Im guessing 99.9% of the people who youd pass would think its real!! and if it was real 99.9% would think its a replica.. so whatever makes ya happy!! do it!!

i saw a company doing Replica speedsters fully ELECTRIC... now that would be kool!!

only thing id do if i was gonna get a replica... is make sure the VW donor pan is older.. so you can use or get the vintage plate from the 50's era, as car is titled based on vin of donor pan, at least here in Cali.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Walt L
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a 356 owner myself, I don't mind the kits. Even the wild outlaw kits are interesting.
But for a daily driver I would look into Starke Speedsters.... 100% Porsche, kinda….
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM
JackW
User

Our local 82 year old juvenile delinquent...Chuck Beck
Chuck Beck has a new prototype running around - its a fiberglass replica of a 356B coupe with a midships mounted Subaru engine - 170 HP and 1800 lbs. He was demonstrating its ability to do donuts at our local 356 club meet a couple of weeks ago.
He's working on suspension settings now - says it is a bit twitchier than his 904 replica due to the shorter wheelbase.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 AM
donco
User

I bought a 1958 356A coupe in 1973 after selling my 912. I use to buy parts from Aase Bros. when they were still in Santa Ana, and struck up a friendship with Dave Aase (RIP bro). He made me a deal on a never mounted 356A roof clip with a manual sliding metal sunroof. I installed it in 1975. This was long before modding a 356 was taboo. I remember taking my car out for a spin with the roof cut off, and decided at that moment, I must have a Cab or Speedster one day. By the time I had the means to buy one, prices had already started rising thru the roof. That's when I learned of Intermeccanica when they were in Santa Ana. I went to their shop and fell in love with their Speedster display model. It had a tentative buyer who reneged on the deal. They sold it to me for $5400, complete, ready to be mounted on my chassis. I bought a 67 VW beetle as a donor, cut the pan, mounted the body, did the other misc, mods, and powered it with a 68 912 motor. It was a blast, I never should have sold it. At least I had the sense to keep the 912 motor and sold the car with the VW motor.

At the time, Intermeccanica was one of the better Speedster replicas. If I had waited a few years later, they made a Convertible D with roll-up glass windows. The Speedster side curtains were useless in the rain. Intermeccanica's assembly manual was top notch, no ambiguity and entirely doable for the home mechanic, with a few basic welding tools. As for the "stigma" of being a knock-off, I never let it bother me, and I never presented it as authentic. One of the reasons I sold it, was there was no solid market as far as what it was worth.

Other cars you might consider, I don't know if they still exist, but at one time there was an outfit in Fargo, ND, that made Austin Healy replica bodies, that mounted to Mustang II, Pinto, or their own tube frame chassis, with many drivetrain options. A Cobra replica would be a blast, but pricey. I have several friends who have built one. They have a faithful following and aren't shamed for being a replica.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
tcsracing1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been on a budget for a long time. And a real speedster and real cobra were well out of my reach.
I have considered Intermeccanica for a speedster and Factory 5 for my Cobra fetish.

I ended up finding a real speedster project and I am very happy to have such a special car. I am much happier then having a Intermeccanica as the experience i am enjoying is real deal.
When i see Intermeccanias I like them, but i now think they take away how special a real example can be. These cars shouldnt be "common".

I finished my factory 5 last year. It is really cool. But it just isnt the real thing and i find myself still pondering about the real deal car to fill that hole in my heart.
I really like how i can beat on it and park it anywhere however.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=tcsracing1;15726625]I have been on a budget for a long time.

Would LOVE to see your lineup of cars if you werenít on a budget......l
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
tcsracing1
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=K964;15727716]
Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
Would LOVE to see your lineup of cars if you werenít on a budget......l
my budget slowly increased over the years

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: