356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Beck and other kits

Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 AM
brainf18
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The video chronicles the three year build of a custom bespoke recreation of the iconic Porsche 904 GTS. The build was inspired by Singer 911's and uses a naturally aspirated air cooled 911 993 Varioram engine. Its paired with a 915 Carrera gearbox with factory LSD. Vehicle weighs 1780 lb. and the engine makes 300 hp.

​​​​​​
Old 12-09-2021, 11:55 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 59 356A coupe, driven it 240,000 miles over 53 years, and still enjoy driving when I can. Also have a very nice 993 and a 968, they get driven when the 356 is not appropriate, such as long freeway drives, rain, extreme heat or touring on fast group drives. A kit car can be built to be better at some things than an original, but at what cost, a nice Intermechanica or Beck goes for more than a nice driver quality 356 B coupe, sure you can find used Speedster and Spyders for $30K, but in most cases they are not of the quality that will be enjoyable to drive. Open cars such as a Speedster/Spyder are "toy cars", will never be comfortable driving for all day drives, you will arrive sun baked, wind blown, and beat. In my opinion the 993 is one of the best all around air cooled Porsches, to be driven anywhere and anytime (with some exceptions). If you have to sell your 993 to buy a "toy car" you will limit your usage to short nice day drives, while wishing you had the 993. Outlaws are attractive, currently in style, and each one is built to a particular persons vision, but it also limits the resale, and are very costly due to the build costs. My sons and grandsons prefer driving the 968, it feels "modern", no tendency to surprise a driver with oversteer, and has all of the stuff we have become accustomed to, A/C, heat, cruise control, room to carry big stuff, and it draws attention as being rare.
Adding: The safety aspect is huge also, what with the increase in bad/unconscious drivers, more traffic, and higher speeds, a car with good seat belts, airbags, and other devices makes more sense than a vintage Porsche, kit, replica or original. You mentioned a young son, I would not take a kid out in anything that doesn't have adequate restraints, ability to hold a car seat/booster seat, or roll over protection.

Last edited by StevenGilroy; 12-09-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:48 PM
JLRESQ
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JLR's 356 Super Coupe

Special Edition/Beck is building me a custom version of their 356 Super Coupe. Their Super Coup is based on a 1964 356 Coupe. Instead of a rear engine location they moved the engine to a mid-engine location. However, for my car they are moving the engine back to a rear location slightly forward of the original location, but not mid-engine. Instead of the Subaru flat 4, that they use, we are using a water-cooled Porsche 911 out of a 996 with its matching 6 speed manual transmission. His base car is 2" longer than stock and they widen the rear 2" (1" per side) with pie cuts on each rear fender. We are going to flare the front and rear fenders slightly more to fit 15 x7 wheels in front and 15 x 9 wheels in the rear, Fuchs with polished rims and Black centers, we are adding a front oil cooler to the lower bumper cover to give it an RSR look. We may also add a ducktail rear spoiler depending on how it looks. The car will be an Outlaw style, with no front or rear bumpers, center mount gas cap, twin center mounted clear driving lights and yellow fog lights in the lower front bumper pockets, Bee-Hive taillights, twin tip center mounted exhaust (similar to a GT3), and a roll bar. Graphite Gray exterior (non-metallic), with either a Red or English Tan interior. Speed Hut custom gauges, and A/C.

Last edited by JLRESQ; 07-02-2022 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
jcgoodlett2 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 02:46 AM
jcgoodlett2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brainf18
Wether its a 356 speedster or other "tribute" car, I posted this in a different thread but it applies to this one as well...

I've been interested in the Beck / Special Edition (S.E.) 904 GTS for quite some time. Opinions vary but for me, the 904 is one of the most beautiful and well-proportioned cars ever made and I think the S.E. 904’s shape looks as good or perhaps a little better than Porsche’s original. In February of 2019 after many years of consideration, I put down a deposit on 904 GTS Chassis #53 to secure a production slot.

Now - To answer the question everyone seems to debate: Is the Beck 904 a Porsche?No of course it isn’t, and I would never represent it as such. However, in many ways I view the Special Edition 904 much in the same way as the Singer 911 “Reimagined”, which have become widely accepted and sought after. Are either the Singer 911 or Beck replicas as the factory created them…No. Are they extremely well engineered and built – Yes, albeit 904GTS is not built to the same insanely OCD levels of the Singer 911. They both are not inexpensive and have very limited production numbers. Mine is #53 after over 19 years of being produced. One of the things that attracted me to the S.E. 904 was that they deliberately and purposefully use Porsche parts throughout the build. The 904 GTS build will take anywhere from 18-24 months, so it’s not a fast process. When it’s completed the S.E. 904 will be a mid-engined “exotic” car with a 993 Varioram, 300HP engine mated to a 915 gearbox mounted in a car weighing less than 1800 lb. with performance numbers that match or exceed the latest GT3RS.

The S.E. 904 GTS seems to me like the answer to automotive modernism gone awry. I believe cars are for driving, and from a pragmatic viewpoint, I don't mind driving a tribute car on public roads or at the track. If a texting driver hits the car (assuming no injuries) no big deal. I don't think anyone (minus Jerry Seinfeld) can say that about vintage Porsche models that are worth millions. The risks to the cars and history are just too great to really enjoy them the way they were meant to be.

Beck Replica 904GTS
Do tell more about your 904 built by Beck (how long ago did you order it, what bits did you have done to it, what do they go for today, and how many were built (also do they still build them))?!?! Your's is a stunner to say the least!!!! Thanks for the share!!!
Old 11-29-2022, 02:55 AM
jcgoodlett2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brainf18
The video chronicles the three year build of a custom bespoke recreation of the iconic Porsche 904 GTS. The build was inspired by Singer 911's and uses a naturally aspirated air cooled 911 993 Varioram engine. Its paired with a 915 Carrera gearbox with factory LSD. Vehicle weighs 1780 lb. and the engine makes 300 hp.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqMs2830E8U&t=38s
Think i just found your video on the 904 GTS build and bloody heck is it stunning! The working link is the following

Old 01-07-2023, 01:26 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 1,810 Likes on 593 Posts

I recently purchased a fake 1957 speedster. I must say I can’t believe how much fun I’ve had with this little car. I’ve done a lot of upgrades and look forward to the warmer weather to get it back out on the back roads.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:53 AM
james6speed
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

The purists kill me with their safety and build quality comments. I mean, really is that necessary? You like what you like and leave that alone. If one wants to build a car that makes them happy, that's all that matters. Some of y'all have never been faced with a close call, and it shows...
Old 02-28-2024, 01:47 PM
FletcherHubbard
Intermediate

Would LOVE to see your lineup of cars if you weren’t on a budget......l

Last edited by FletcherHubbard; 02-28-2024 at 02:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on Beck and other kits