Seinfeld sold a fake Porsche?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 AM
dodgersfanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Seinfeld sold a fake Porsche?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...5-million.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...201-story.html

first time posting in this forum, but figured it was news worthy. Second article makes it sound like Seinfeld and his team were duped as well. I guess sometimes even the “experts” can get fooled.

-Brian
Old 02-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Wow
Old 02-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I've seen, the new owner has yet to say what the clues are to it's non authentic status. Following this story for sure!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:48 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Jerry Seinfeld sued for selling fake

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ged-to-be-fake

I would like to know the details of why they suspect it is a fake. I wouldn't think Jerry would be knowingly be involved.

https://www.goodingco.com/press/good...sland-auction/
Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

He bought it from European Collectibles and it had been in the market for a while. As I recall, the auction description pretty much followed European Collectibles representations. I also remember a Kardex for it with no color listed, so Auratium Green was as good as any other.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

He's claiming that he didn't know and wants the info they discovered as well. The story is at the time of the article he hadn't refunded the money yet........Phil
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to unwind a good faith deal absent some information. If, as per the Daily News article, it is the absence of restoration photos, surely Monteverdi knew that when he bought the car. Hard to imagine Seinfeld is at fault. If anyone, it is potentially European Collectibles.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Auction sales are always “as-is,” with no guarantee from the auction house or seller that the description is accurate.

If Seinfeld buys the car back, it will only be because he is a nice guy. My guess is the lawsuit will get thrown out.

Read the terms the bidders agree to: https://www.goodingco.com/content/do...pplication.pdf

DESCRIPTIONS OF PROPERTY
All written and oral descriptions of the Vehicles or related information, including, but not limited to, descriptions in any catalogue or other Auction-related materials, postings, announcements, press releases, advertisements, any bill of sale or invoice, and any statements or affirmations made by or on behalf of Gooding prior to or at the Auction, including, without limitation, any reference to a Vehicle as being a particular model, make, or type or the rarity or uniqueness or provenance thereof, are only statements of opinion and not statements of fact and do not, and shall not under any circumstances be deemed to, create or constitute representations or warranties of any kind by Gooding or the Seller. Each bidder and Buyer hereby acknowledges and agrees that they are not entitled to rely, and they each agree not to rely, upon any of such descriptions, statements, affirmations, information or materials for any purpose, and that none of the foregoing are a part of the basis of the bargain of the purchase and sale of any Vehicle nor do or shall any of the foregoing supersede or modify any of the General Conditions.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Whats the Deal with Jerry Seinfeld

Is he running out of money ? Is he trying to get richer than he already is, at the expense of unwitting sports car squirrels ? Is he trying to make a bid to buy Carfax ?
And why do they call it Car fax ? Shouldnt it be CAR FACTS , like the history, or the facts of the car ? Not FAX like a fax machine that transmits copies of documents.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This story is fascinating. Would be worthy of a "Fake or Fortune" episode!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't think Jerry needed the extra cash and there would be absolutely no reason for him to commit fraud.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's the lawsuit.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...eldPorsche.pdf
Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Is he running out of money ? Is he trying to get richer than he already is, at the expense of unwitting sports car squirrels ? Is he trying to make a bid to buy Carfax ?
And why do they call it Car fax ? Shouldnt it be CAR FACTS , like the history, or the facts of the car ? Not FAX like a fax machine that transmits copies of documents.
If I were a betting man, I would bet a TON that JS did nothing nefarious intentionally. It's possible he sold someone else's lie, but HIGHLY unlikely wittingly.

As for the Carfax name, pretty sure it originated when fax machines and receiving faxes was somewhat novel and Carfax used fax machines to transmit their reports. Outdated, yes, but perfectly logical for the time.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 PM
HerrKraut
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like there may be 2 cars with the same VIN.
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...hp?f=1&t=24505
Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

used cars are usually sold where is as is.
and to play in this $$$ range, buyers generally bring in an ARMY of experts to authenticate.
so even if it's fake (and I am NOT saying it is), buyers expert should have figured it out at inspection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seinfeld sold a fake Porsche?