Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

356 rear window; what do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 01:58 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts
Default 356 rear window; what do I have?

This past weekend I raced my '67 911 at the annual RMVR Aspen-Snowmass vintage street race (an event well worth attending). Mine was the last Porsche standing at the end, and as I was packing up, a very elderly gentleman (and I say that being 67 myself) approached me in the paddock, breathing oxygen at over 8200 feet elevation! In a strong German accent, he told me his name was Dieter and he'd picked up a Porsche 356 at the factory in Stuttgart in 1957. The car was rear-ended, and the only thing he'd saved was the rear window, which had been in his attic for over 50 years and would I like it? I paid the very reasonable price he asked without quibbling. The window is in excellent condition, measures 34 x 15 1/2 inches, is very lightly tinted, has dimples around the edges which Dieter said were for mounting, and the label says Sekurit D-02 A52. Sorry about the lousy photo; the apparent jagged edge is just a shadow, but it highlights the dimples. What 356 was this from? Dieter's story would suggest a T-2 A.
Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 09-21-2018, 06:19 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Rich, first off I never knew there was an Aspen-Snowmass vintage race. Did Goldberg bring out his Daytona Spyder? What a car. At any rate, if depending when in 1957 Deiter bought the car, it's either a Type 1 or Type 2 A. Either way, I think the glass is the same. It's worth about $250/$300, maybe $500 if you find the guy that needs it. Sadly it will cost over $200 to ship. I recently sold a C rear window, from a car that was T boned and again the only salvagable part.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

This was the second year for the RMVR Snowmass Aspen vintage street race. Run in Snowmass, it's sort of a fusion between the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at Schenley Park and the Hershey Grand Ascent Hillclimb. Steep, dangerous, and going off means off a cliff or into somebody's living room. A total hoot. There was a car show down at the main park; several Ferrari's, but no Daytona Spyder. Certainly none racing!

Quick Reply: 356 rear window; what do I have?