Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62 Notchback On BAT

Old 03-14-2018, 07:12 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 62 Notchback On BAT

This is getting trashed on BAT. How far gone do we think it really is? Worth considering for a restoration or not at all? No experience with 356s so seeking advice from the experts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-hard-top/
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Not unless you really, really, really want a notch back and have a yuge bag o money you want to part with. Much easier to buy a nice driver and fix that up.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

That’s what I thought. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Saw that car and totally agree with ltusler. The condition of the body is the most important aspect when buying a 356. That car used to be the typical car sold on BaT, but now with all of the “experts” chiming in, and the sheer volume of cars on the site, it has jumped the shark. Too big for its own good. Join the 356 Registry, read everything you can, and buy a car from a true enthusiast. That’s how I picked up my 59 Coupe last Summer. Couldn’t be happier with the purchase.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:34 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
Saw that car and totally agree with ltusler. The condition of the body is the most important aspect when buying a 356. That car used to be the typical car sold on BaT, but now with all of the “experts” chiming in, and the sheer volume of cars on the site, it has jumped the shark. Too big for its own good. Join the 356 Registry, read everything you can, and buy a car from a true enthusiast. That’s how I picked up my 59 Coupe last Summer. Couldn’t be happier with the purchase.
great advise. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a 356 expert. I did own a 912, but mainly 993s and newer Porsches - GT3, GT3 RS, etc.

But I became smitten with the 356s, and even more smitten with the notchback. I recognize the style isn't for everyone, but I think they look like little thugs, and I dig it. I also appreciate the unique place in Porsche history that they hold. There were also so few made, and even fewer remaining without the tops cut off, that I consider them a safe long term "investment" 356, especially if restored to COA/kardex originality, numbers matching, etc.

I voted with my wallet on this recently, having paid a premium for a nut/bolt rotisserie restoration of a 356 notchback in southern California. There are a few things that make this car unique and particularly special -at least to me. It is a 1961 T5 body, single grille. There were more 61 T5s built, but since they were the true cab body, there seem to be less of them left because people took off the top. The 62 T6 was a dedicated design and there seem to be more of them around. Mine is a Super90. It is Royal Blue/Light Grey and 100% numbers matching and original. The restoration will be complete for Luft 5 and I will be picking it up there in LA and trailering it back to Austin.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

I'm not a 356 expert. I did own a 912, but mainly 993s and newer Porsches - GT3, GT3 RS, etc.

But I became smitten with the 356s, and even more smitten with the notchback. I recognize the style isn't for everyone, but I think they look like little thugs, and I dig it. I also appreciate the unique place in Porsche history that they hold. There were also so few made, and even fewer remaining without the tops cut off, that I consider them a safe long term "investment" 356, especially if restored to COA/kardex originality, numbers matching, etc.

I voted with my wallet on this recently, having paid a premium for a nut/bolt rotisserie restoration of a 356 notchback in southern California. There are a few things that make this car unique and particularly special -at least to me. It is a 1961 T5 body, single grille. There were more 61 T5s built, but since they were the true cab body, there seem to be less of them left because people took off the top. The 62 T6 was a dedicated design and there seem to be more of them around. Mine is a Super90. It is Royal Blue/Light Grey and 100% numbers matching and original. The restoration will be complete for Luft 5 and I will be picking it up there in LA and trailering it back to Austin.
That's a pretty car and the colour really suits, to my eyes. Congratulations and enjoy in good health!
Vivian
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Vivian. The car should be completed and onsite at Luft 5, in case you want to see it. I'll be there.
I will be doing very few modifications (all reversible) but you will be proud of the Bluetooth audio setup by the time I am done with it!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Thanks Vivian. The car should be completed and onsite at Luft 5, in case you want to see it. I'll be there.
I will be doing very few modifications (all reversible) but you will be proud of the Bluetooth audio setup by the time I am done with it!
Alas, I'll be missing Luft (again) due to work and travel commitments. Be sure to post some pics if you can. Thx!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Wow. That BAT car is far gone. Basically a donor parts car. Obviously, that is what the current owner finally decided as well.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Test

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 62 Notchback On BAT