Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help me identify this 356

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

They definitely would have turned the car. I'm pretty sure I have seen cars transported this way. It could probably be done without dollies and several spotters. Definitely doable with dollies, but I don't see any near the car.

You would know more about the C-46, but this model (or at least this variation) is definitely designed to be loaded with freight - the bottom edge of the door is designed to be flat when the aircraft is static (resting on all wheels) so that a lift can meet level with the door.

Whether or not these cars actually did go inside, who knows. However the Ferrari 330 LMB, as a race car, seems pretty exotic for an advertising or publicity stunt I think. If just for publicity, a California or Jaguar E-type would've sufficed for advertising, and would've surely been more affordable to rent at the time.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-21-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
They definitely would have turned the car. I'm pretty sure I have seen cars transported this way. It could probably be done without dollies and several spotters. Definitely doable with dollies, but I don't see any near the car.

You would know more about the C-46, but this model (or at least this variation) is definitely designed to be loaded with freight - the bottom edge of the door is designed to be flat when the aircraft is static (resting on all wheels) so that a lift can meet level with the door.

Whether or not these cars actually did go inside, who knows. However the Ferrari 330 LMB, as a race car, seems pretty exotic for an advertising or publicity stunt I think. If just for publicity, a California or Jaguar E-type would've sufficed for advertising, and would've surely been more affordable to rent at the time.
Yes good point about the Ferrari. This C-46 was a pure freighter version. Not sure Delta ever used them for passenger carrying at all. Modern cargo aircraft has rollers built into the floors that also for easy loading of the large containers. Really don't know if they had that back in the 50s. I kind of doubt it.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Just saw this thread.....very cool photo!

We had a '55 Continental Coupe that was turned into to one mean Outlaw. We were at a 356 Holiday in Aspen and there was another '55 there. When we asked the owner what the serial number was......it was the car produced right in front of ours!! After 50 years the two reunited!
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:49 PM
JoeBoxer
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delta Curtis C46

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I posted this in the general discussion forum but figured I might get some more expert 356 viewers over here.

I came across this picture of a 356 being loaded on a Delta C-46. I fly for Delta and intend to have this picture blown up to display in my office. I do not know much about the 356 model history. Can anyone provide any information on the year and possibly model if they have multiple variants of the 356.

I only have this picture in a digital copy. If I zoom in on the fender badges and license plate I lose the ability to read them due to the resolution. Will upload it here in the full size I have it.

Delta operated the C-46 starting in Mid 1957. Dont believe the car is new based on the fact it already appears to have a license plate. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Do you have the entire picture? Where did you find this pic? Thx!

Quick Reply: Can someone help me identify this 356