Sponsored by:

sputtering and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:45 PM
golfman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sputtering and backfiring

Just drove the car to the store and it is acting crazy. The car is sputtering alot around 4000 rpms. I think I heard some backfiring as well. I ran the car alittle low on gas. When I started it it ran fine for about a mile and then started sputtering. I immediately filled the car with gas it took 14.9 gallons so it wasnt totally empty. The car has 2000 mile on it now. So the fuel tank should be pretty clean. I am getting no error codes at all. I recently put a evo v flow air cleaner on but that was two weeks ago. I say this because some have said something about the mass air flow sensor and the oiling of the K&n filter. Mine looks pretty dry not sure the dealer even oiled it. I am lost on this guys.

I thought about adding a fuel injector treatment. Any Suggestions?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes take it in and have it checked.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 PM

When something like this occurs and no codes are showing get the car to any nearby dealer so they can witness the issue as it is happening...if it's too late for that still bring it in. I would not recommend the fuel injection treatment as it is usually not Porsche approved. I am also not an advocate of any mods that may even remotely cause warranty issues as these cars are VERY expensive to repair.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 AM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
When something like this occurs and no codes are showing get the car to any nearby dealer so they can witness the issue as it is happening...if it's too late for that still bring it in. I would not recommend the fuel injection treatment as it is usually not Porsche approved. I am also not an advocate of any mods that may even remotely cause warranty issues as these cars are VERY expensive to repair.
I will have it checked out. I did run some new gas through it and let it sit and idle for awhile and it is running fine now. So that was very weird.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by golfman
I will have it checked out. I did run some new gas through it and let it sit and idle for awhile and it is running fine now. So that was very weird.
sounds like the hesitation issue that's been reported
Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
sounds like the hesitation issue that's been reported
What hesitation issue? I am not familiar with that.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Here's just one thread of many: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=hesitation

Try a search for the rest
Old 11-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

That's funny!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Different car, but I had what sounds like the same "issue" with my M3. Oiled AFE filter was the cause - minute bits of oil fouled the MAF sensor and when driven hard it started going into a sort of "limp mode" around 4k. A $3.99 can of CRC MAF cleaner did the trick.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:15 AM
golfman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
Here's just one thread of many: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=hesitation

Try a search for the rest
I did the research on this. It could be a hesitation issue. The car is running great now. Did some sprited driving against a black c6 today. I can diffently say that the regular c6 vette has nothing on this car. Atleast up til 90 can't say after that. I own a white c6 convertable now but I have never raced against one. I think the cars are real close in speed but I believe the porsche is a bit faster than the regular c6 and more fun to drive.

When I got done messing with that black c6. A guy at the next light pulled up in a truck and said to me "that vette don't want none of you".

So I would say the car is running fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 AM

I did the research on this. It could be a hesitation issue. The car is running great now. Did some sprited driving against a black c6 today. I can diffently say that the regular c6 vette has nothing on this car. Atleast up til 90 can't say after that. I own a white c6 convertable now but I have never raced against one. I think the cars are real close in speed but I believe the porsche is a bit faster than the regular c6 and more fun to drive.

When I got done messing with that black c6. A guy at the next light pulled up in a truck and said to me "that vette don't want none of you".

So I would say the car is running fine.
Glad to hear it's running well , unfortunately that's a classic symptom of the hesitation issue.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the first thread, I believe, that reported the issue a little over a year ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/235679-check-engine-return-to-workshop-she-s-home.html

Quick Reply: sputtering and backfiring