Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Insulation removal on inside of hood, How do you get the adhesive off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 PM
rmoleman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insulation removal on inside of hood, How do you get the adhesive off?

The insulation on the inside of the hood on my 86 951 started to fall off. I have seen many cars where this insulaton has been removed. I got the insulation off no problem, but the adhseive has defied all but the most extreme adhesive removed which softens the paint.

How do you get this stuff off?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe some have used Xylene to remove the "snot" adhesive, but I personally have not tried it. Others say that 3M adhesive remover works. I still have a little bit of it on my hood that I need to remove when I get some spare time. When I was removing mine I made careful use of a scrapper and some citrus cleaning solution. I dont recommend this method because it takes forever.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if a stripe eraser would owrk here, it kicks butt on stoneguard adhesive.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:19 PM
maximus951
Advanced

Brakleen works pretty well and it won't take paint off...
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

I originally posted this at Clarks-Garage, and had meant to post it here too.

-----

If your hood foam insulation has seen better days, which is probably 99.9% of you unless you just replaced it, it's really easy to remove assuming you don't mind taking your hood off.

1) Take the hood off (use a marker to mark the bolt locations so you don't have to re-align it when it goes back on), and lay it on a well padded blanket or similar. Don't want to scratch up the paint now do we!

2) Douse it with 3M adhesive remover, let soak for about 5 minutes (it will actually bubble up), and use a semi-stiff piece of plastic with a straight edge to scrape it off. I used a chunk of ABS plastic that was the "packaging" for some tool I bought. You can buy a plastic scraper instead for a couple dollars. Took about 30 minutes to get all the residue off.

2.5a) Wax inside (!) of hood. (optional, but you'll never have an easier time of doing it!)

2.5b) Install new foam insulation. (optional)

3) Put hood back on.

4) Admire and wonder why you didn't do this a lot sooner!
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is why I bought the silver stuff from Paragon, so I wouldnt have to deal with removing the adhesive
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Cra$h
Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cra$h: Dead on the money pal. I am in the paint/home decorating business and know all the products. Key things. Dont let the adhesive sit to long. "Must" use a plastic scrapper. Dirt cheap. Home Depot/Loews or any paint stores carry all these supplies. And whoever said use "Xylene" on paint, are you nuts! My God, no dude, that's like using paint thinner!! Use that stuff in your fuel tank. Again, I should know, I have an unlimited supply of it for my cars. Special Tool has a lot of it too!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cra$h
2.5a) Wax inside (!) of hood. (optional, but you'll never have an easier time of doing it!)

2.5b) Install new foam insulation. (optional)
So do you recomend waxing the underside if you're going to put on new insulation, or is that an either-or deal?

Also, do all the gaskets that use the hood to seal off areas still work without the insulation?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

See pics of mine in the link below. I used every bottle I had -- citris goo remover, paint clearer, goo-b-gone, etc. It doesn't have to be spotless to install the new one by the way. My only other suggestion is to put a sheet/tarp over your engine bay when you do it, to keep all the clumps of adhesive off the motor.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can yo go without replacing it and not damage the hood or paint?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 AM
bigred1001
Pro

Later 951's did not come with it anyway, so I dont think there is a great risk of damage. I removed mine with the hood left on and after about 7 hrs have about 99% of the adhesive removed( tiny bit in a couple of crevaces). I used 3m spray adhesive remover and when I ran out, used goo gone. Also ruined a set of sheets to protect the engine.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Knowing how much the hood of my camry is screwed up from heat because it doesn't have insulation underneath makes me want to have some on this. Especially since the camry doesn't have any of the turbo and whatnot. Besides, it looks wierd when your hood is steaming when its raining.

Unless I'm missing something and these hoods are two layers thick...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
... And whoever said use "Xylene" on paint, are you nuts! My God, no dude, that's like using paint thinner!! Use that stuff in your fuel tank. Again, I should know, I have an unlimited supply of it for my cars. Special Tool has a lot of it too!

Actually I've used xylene several times on paint with no ill effects yet. It was the fastest stripper for that nasty snot that holds the carpet padding on the interior I stripped. I don't think I would bath in the stuff but I've never seen it lift paint I can't vouch for clearcoat though. And yes, it much more effective in the tank
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
woohoo! my first Rennlist seal of approval! Thanks!

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Dont let the adhesive sit to long. "Must" use a plastic scrapper. Dirt cheap.
I actually might have let it sit for 8-10 minutes on some of the tougher spots, but I WAS worried whether it would lift the paint. Didn't seem to have any problems though. The stiff but flexible plastic scraper is definitely the right thing to use. Stiff enough to give you leverage, but soft enough material to not scratch the paint.

Originally Posted by billthe3
So do you recomend waxing the underside if you're going to put on new insulation, or is that an either-or deal?

Also, do all the gaskets that use the hood to seal off areas still work without the insulation?
I honestly don't know if the insulation adhesive would have any problem sticking after waxing it, but I'd bet not given the amount of surface area. I wasn't trying make the inside look as good as the outside, just a little shinier.

As far as I remember, the gaskets contact directly to metal cross braces, so I can't see how removing the insulation would have any effect.

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Can yo go without replacing it and not damage the hood or paint?
See bigred1001's mention of the delete on later years. I had read that elsewhere, so I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by bigred1001
Later 951's did not come with it anyway, so I dont think there is a great risk of damage. I removed mine with the hood left on and after about 7 hrs have about 99% of the adhesive removed( tiny bit in a couple of crevaces). I used 3m spray adhesive remover and when I ran out, used goo gone. Also ruined a set of sheets to protect the engine.
7 HOURS! Holy smokes! Did you read where I said it took about 30 minutes to do mine? And maybe another 10 minutes to remove and reinstall the hood. I tried doing it installed at first too, but the adhesive remover works SO much better when it can sit there and soak with the hood on a flat surface. Otherwise it just runs down to the base and is much less effective.

Quick Reply: Insulation removal on inside of hood, How do you get the adhesive off?