Sponsored by:

Fabspeed bypass sound bytes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed bypass sound bytes

Finally got my first round of mods done, LWF & clutch from Imagine Auto, PSS9s and a set of FabSpeed muffler bypasses. I thought it would be useful for other folks thinking about the FabSpeed bypasses to record some before and after samples.

I set up a set of mics (Shure SM81s) outside of my garage, parked the car with the exhaust pointing into the mic rig, which was at about ear level and 10 feet away from the car.

Idle, little rev, departure, reentry past the mics and into the garage. Sorry I couldn't really get on it as I live on a city street here in Chicago and the boys in blue are already eyeing me, plus I was trying to be nice to the clutch for the first few miles. Enough excuses, here goes:

Stock:
http://john.neurauter.net/sounds/911Exhaust_Stock.mp3

FabSpeed:
http://john.neurauter.net/sounds/911...peedBypass.mp3

Not sure if this really is going to help anyone make the decision, but I'll say that I'm 100% satisfied with the results. I had read someone complain that the FabSpeeds made their car sound like a Chris Craft, which I thought would be just great, and it is.

The recordings aren't exactly in your face, so you probably have to crank the speakers on your computer. The idea here was more for a comparison using the same recording method so you can get a before and after. When you listen to the FabSpeed clip, shake your lungs around a bit so you get the full effect, or play it back through something that can make 19 cycles and enjoy.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting these clips, John. The quality of your recordings is much better than the videos on the Fabspeed site, so I'm sure this will help some people make a decision.

FWIW, I just installed Fabspeed bypasses (purchased from a fellow Rennlister) on my car over the weekend. I love the sound, even just after cold start with the SAI popping away.

As good as it sounds without mufflers, if I had my druthers, it would be just a little bit quieter. Before the bypasses I had RSR mufflers, which are a huge improvement over stock, but still too quiet for my taste. The ideal setup would be about halfway between the RSR and the bypasses. But until somebody comes out with a better setup, I'm sticking with the bypasses.

Now I just need to find some more tunnels to drive through...

-Jeff
Old 05-09-2006, 03:16 PM
MeanRex
Advanced

your chris craft sounds awesome.
-Ben Martin
Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks John.