Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Really dumb question... closing the hood (trunk)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts
Default OK Really dumb question... closing the hood (trunk)

wow, I'm really embarassed to ask this one but here goes LOL! When closing the (front) hood, do you just slam it shut? I opened mine for the first time yesterday and went to close it like you normally would any hood. However, it did not "latch" close. So, I just pushed down and it seemed to click shut.

A few minutes ago I went into the garage to take the garbage out and as soon as I got in looked over at the car and the hood popped!! (just as it would if you hit the button). Should I call a priest or what!! That would not be good to happen while i'm driving. So, if it should be shut by just dropping it, then I most have something mis-aligned. If you are supposed to just lower it and push it sealed, then how the hell did it un-latch itself!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

They do not shut by dropping them. You need to push to latch after you drop it. I always used to push on the badge and later maybe here or somewhere heard that is not good that you can break the badge. Otherwise push just in front of the badge to latch (click) it shut.

I have noticed that when carrying the key on the new 997 it is extremely easy to hit the hood button especially when key is in your pocket. More than likely that is what happened to you.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you have to push it closed, but use the palm of your hand to distribute the load. I push under the badge too.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The correct way to close the hood is to press in the area above the latch (between the crest and edge of the hood).
It is NOT advised to press upon the crest since the hood is aluminum and there is no support beneath it.

Why your hood poped open....if it was truly shut...
Check with your dealer, rhe front control unit may need replacing

Old 03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it's just lower and push to!

just picking up my keys has popped my front trunk. this new one is really sensitive.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hood is aluminum and easily dented if slammed. If your cargo sticks up too far, it can bang a dent from the inside. Porsche recommends closing it by lowering it gently until the safety latch engages and then pressing down until the main latch grabs.

There were problems reported with the hood mysteriously unlatching by itself in early production. There should be some threads about this issue. It is also really easy to hit the wrong button on the remote. The ergonomic magicians that designed the key made the trunk button larger than the door button.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From the manual:
Closing luggage compartment lid and engine compartment lid

• Lower the lid and close it.
• Push the lid closed with the palm of your hand in the area of the lock.

Check that the lid has correctly engaged in the lock.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're not sure where exactly to push, lift the trunk lid and sight from the side of the lid the area directly over the u-shaped bracket that gets captured by the latch. Once you know where it is, you'll know from here on out where exactly to push.

If you're like me you won't want to leave your fingerprints on the hood. That's why I keep a mf towel in the door compartment under the armrest - for opening the gas cap lid and for closing the trunk lid. I also keep one hanging in the garage for when I need to close the trunk while in the garage.

You might find these threads of interest:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=hood+latch

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=hood+latch
Old 03-19-2006, 10:44 PM
drbf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the safety latch is engaged the lid will not fly open while driving. Close as stated above. If that does not work than back to the dealer.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
If you're like me you won't want to leave your fingerprints on the hood. That's why I keep a mf towel in the door compartment under the armrest - for opening the gas cap lid and for closing the trunk lid. I also keep one hanging in the garage for when I need to close the trunk while in the garage.
OMG! you're too much ben!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by icon

OMG! you're too much ben!
You know what? I was going to go one better and NEVER open my hood until I realized I ordered a CD changer.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 AM
drbf
Pro

Is that where the CD changer is !!!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
MMD
Banned

UPDATE!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I heard.

The 996 was fine to close by pressing the badge to click it shut.

The 997 is different and you should not press the badge to click it shut.

On the 997 you should press the outer 3/4 inch of the trunk edge with spread thumb and forefinger to click it shut.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
MFC996
Instructor

My salesman told me on check out to close the lid with each hand on the outer edges of the hood and to stay away from the crest completely to avoid bending because of the aluminum.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:05 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For both the 996 & 997 the aproved & official method fot latching is by pushing above the area of the latch, not upon the crest.

Quick Reply: OK Really dumb question... closing the hood (trunk)