Sponsored by:

Shifting Gears & Ergonomics

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:32 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stan523
Option 2 -- the back surface indent is really slick.
1080i where did you find the book '997 - Enduring Values' ? ...didn't know such a thing existed.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...books&v=glance

It's a great read - all about the 997. Lots of pictures and talks about how the car is manufactured, etc.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:44 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

To seriously answer the question (tho I wondered if your ergonomic shifters actually get moist when handled as above), neither of the first two options is correct. Shifting is more "wrist" than "arm and shoulder", and finger movements are more accurate than arm movements. The shifter is best held with the finger tips, and the movement is more like brush strokes. I don't see the palm playing an active role at all, but I may not have dated as much as you guys. AS
Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm no friend of Dorothy's but I get quite limp-wristed when I'm shifting well.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use option 2 when drag racing..where shifting is pretty much the main focus.

i dont' really use option one when banging thru the gears on a road course, i tend 2 hold the shift **** the way you would a botte cap when opening a bottle. just quickly grab and flip the shifter into the next gear and get both hands back on the wheel as soon as possible.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
No, the analogy I speak of was not posted here. Just inferred. Maybe analogy is the wrong word. Similarity? Inference? Maybe my mind is where it should not be, but the quote "...and not only while your finger is extended, but also as you curl your middle finger in do you realize that the groove curves up in a smooth tangential arc that follows the sweep of your finger as you slide it up and in for a very sensuous feel" brings other things to mind!
But that's not a quote, those are my very own words.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oc... what I'm saying is that your description, in your own words, was spot on! (no pun intended!!). From what I was reading, the sensuous feeling was designed by the engineers to emulate the same feeling as the inside of a lady's inner leg. I am not making that up - I read that, and you confirmed what I had read.

Lets get to the point. The shifter was designed to remind you of sex when you rub that sensuous part of the rear of the shifter. It was no mistake that your description is quite accurate. So, what I was saying is that 'I love that' in that they had that similarity in mind!!!!

Quick Reply: Shifting Gears & Ergonomics