Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Swap tach to center position on early dash ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap tach to center position on early dash ??

Just picked up a '85 944 #353 to build into an autocrosser and run the New England Hillclimbs with. It came with 7 and 8 x 15 Fuchs and new S0-3 Pole positons. Needs a gearbox (ring and pinion are toast) and some cosmetic paint but everything works.

My last Porsche was an '87 944 so this is my first taste with early dash etc. Is it possible to swap the tach with the speedometer to the center position on a '85 series I? ie similar to the Carrera GTS. Next Q, how about turning it 180 deg and replacing the guage face with a Series II (85.5 on) tach graphic? Any BTDTs?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:16 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its possible to do. It helps alot if you take the steering wheel off, but not necesary (though very easily done). Basically reach behind the dash and push the gas/temp gauge fowards. Reach into the hole where the gas/temp gauge was, or under the dash again and disconnect the speedometer cable from the back of the speedo. Push the speedo and tach both out (obviously disconnecting the wire harness while your doing this). You will need some type of tool to cut a piece of metal behind the dash now, this is considering you are moving the speedo to the right most position and want to keep it working. The speedo cable is just long enough to reach the speedo in this spot, but the cable will not clear a metal piece (the cable is not very flexable). A dremel would probably do the trick. I was actually going to do this on my 924S for a more 'race' look...but then i remembered i drive an automatic .
Old 06-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Ok. So, the speedo cable will be the PITA to get over to the right. Getting to the guages is done from below and not from the front - kewl. This info helps out- thanks. I had a 968 club sport steering wheel on my '87 944 and then used it on my '84 Audi urquattro! Thank goodness 944's were built in Neckarsulm. I might use this wheel in this conversion too.

I'm going to tackle this project - converting a Series I tach to the center position and replacing all the dash graphics with a black and white/red look (later Series II style) rather than the yellow and black. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. TIA.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:12 AM
300guy
Rennlist Member

I've just done this to my '84, it looks pretty awesome. Those yellow guages are UGLY UGLY UGLY.

I got black/white/red needle guages 924S style I assume, my tack is a bit different, it starts at about the 5 o'clock position and redlines at the 12 o'clock position.

I also took out the plastic cones and had glass cut to go in there... get anti-glare glass if you can.

Moving the speedo took quite a bit of cutting... your gonna have to cut VERY close to the wiring harness so be carefull.

I think that I took my cluster out and put it back in again about 10 times... each time I had to cut a bit more metal from behind to get the speedo to sink all the way in.

I'll try to post a picture when I get it... .later this week.

Colin
Old 08-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Default Photos of tach swap on early dash

I don't mind the yellow graphics - looks right with my Mahogany Braun.

I did the swap and took images. There is a little oval hole in the right side of the steering column metal support from the factory. Just use this as the starting point for cutting an "A" shape back towards you into in. No need to completely cut through - as you just bend this little angled "A" back and the speedo cable slides through. Pretty clean swap.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Swap tach to center position on early dash ??