Sponsored by:

Turbo Twist Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM
rpadfield
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Twist Wheels

As a result of some trading I now have a set of 17" Turbo Twist Bright Wheels. I have learned quite a bit about them except I'm still not certain if they are "Solid" or "Hollow" spoke wheels. Please see pic attached and if it is enough detail for someone to clarify what I have I would appreciate the help.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 PM
dewyacht
Rennlist Member

Rpadfield, those are "solid" spokes, you can tell by he indentations in the spoke running along their length. I have both, the hollow spokes are flat on the back as if the back was covered from the forward to aft rib.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, Porsche OEM Turbo Twist wheels hollow or solid only came as a 18" wheel.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 PM
dewyacht
Rennlist Member

bw993, thanks for the info, both of mine are 18's.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

For the record, this is what a set of hollows look like:::

Smooth spoke on the rear and smaller valve stem hole up front.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^
Just curious, how can a wheel have 2 different widths and offsets ?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JayG
^^^^
Just curious, how can a wheel have 2 different widths and offsets ?
They used the same mold when building them... strange, yes I know.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:15 PM
dewyacht
Rennlist Member

Wheel Dynamics, maybe you can help me with your expertise. I have a set of 18" J8 & 11's hollow turbo twists which were mounted on my 02 996 Turbo X50 which I picked up this past summer. I track the car in DE events with PCA at Sebring and was just at the PCA 48 Hours event this past weekend. The problem is the rear wheels are spinning inside the R7 Hoosiers which naturally throw's the balance out, btw, I know they are spinning because I mark the stem location on the tire wall before I go out on track each session. At first it was only the left rear, which I actually felt the wheel spin coming off the apex in turn 7, but has now occurred on both rear wheels. I have heard of a lubricant used to mount the tire that acts as an adhesive when heated(while driving on track) to alleviate this problem. I just recently had the wheels trued and refinished(PowderCoated) by a local reputable wheel refinishing co. and had relayed the problem to them prior to the refinishing job, so I'm not sure they are aware of this lubricant. Btw, I had the wheel spin both before and after the wheels were trued and refinished. Can you recommend or do you know of such a tire mounting lubricant/adhesive? Thanks for any help/info you can provide.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dewyacht
Wheel Dynamics, maybe you can help me with your expertise. I have a set of 18" J8 & 11's hollow turbo twists which were mounted on my 02 996 Turbo X50 which I picked up this past summer. I track the car in DE events with PCA at Sebring and was just at the PCA 48 Hours event this past weekend. The problem is the rear wheels are spinning inside the R7 Hoosiers which naturally throw's the balance out, btw, I know they are spinning because I mark the stem location on the tire wall before I go out on track each session. At first it was only the left rear, which I actually felt the wheel spin coming off the apex in turn 7, but has now occurred on both rear wheels. I have heard of a lubricant used to mount the tire that acts as an adhesive when heated(while driving on track) to alleviate this problem. I just recently had the wheels trued and refinished(PowderCoated) by a local reputable wheel refinishing co. and had relayed the problem to them prior to the refinishing job, so I'm not sure they are aware of this lubricant. Btw, I had the wheel spin both before and after the wheels were trued and refinished. Can you recommend or do you know of such a tire mounting lubricant/adhesive? Thanks for any help/info you can provide.
Although we wouldn't consider this to be our area of expertise I do want to let you know that it's important to have a nice seal from the get go, if your installer is using the proper paste that is intended to dry after a little time then that is a move in the right direction over "soapy water".

We have heard of others who are using Permatex High Tack sealant, however we cannot recommend the use of this product, we can only share with you what others are using. You may also want to consider scuffing up the surface of the bead areas in order to add a bit more grip especially if you are going to apply any sealant.

Good Luck to you sir,

Quick Reply: Turbo Twist Wheels