Sponsored by:

Help identifying wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help identifying wheels

I purchased these wheels in my initial frenzy after buying my '02 996, after driving 150 miles to see them. They appear to be forged as there are tooling marks on the inside of the barrel. The seller was told they were Champions, though I doubt that is correct, as they are not marked as far as I can see. Anyone?
Attached Images        
Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomvang
I purchased these wheels in my initial frenzy after buying my '02 996, after driving 150 miles to see them. They appear to be forged as there are tooling marks on the inside of the barrel. The seller was told they were Champions, though I doubt that is correct, as they are not marked as far as I can see. Anyone?
They look like CAST, and one piece (Imitation) split rim lookalikes possibly Italian or Chinese?

The bolts will be glued or threaded in, can be a pain to remove, and the lathe Polished outer rim could be re machined but these bolts would have to come out unless you had them re-machined up to bolt line.

R
Old 12-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that they certainly are fake 3 piece wheels, but I have not seen cast wheels with the lathe marks these have inside the barrels, per attached photo.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Those marks you're seeing are not uncommon on a cast wheel.

They could be from the negative mold. The negative mold (that they pour some hot aluminum into) would be machined. And if they didn't run a finishing bit on it, it would leave plenty of machining marks.

If not that, perhaps wheels are 'over' cast and then when they drill the lug holes, they spin the wheel and remove any casting flaws, etc.

Lug holes, AFAIK, are always done after casting. Sometimes offset is adjusted after casting, as is the case with these wheels (note difference in hub depth).

Quick Reply: Help identifying wheels