Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GTS Tire/wheel advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:42 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi, 2016 GTS owner here. I just recently purchased a set of 19" HRE FF01s for more comfortable street ride and to use occasionally on the track. Unfortunately the Michelin PSS tire sizes I want are backordered nationwide til the end of July.

I can wait but also wondering how ok an alternative Bridgestone Potenza S04s would be for both duties.i know the PSS will be superior for both (I'm a total track novice so I don't need serious street comp tires yet).

The Bridgestones are not only available in stock but a little cheaper as well.

Would they serve me ok for the next 10k miles or so before I decide to switch them out?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:05 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Hi, 2016 GTS owner here. I just recently purchased a set of 19" HRE FF01s for more comfortable street ride and to use occasionally on the track. Unfortunately the Michelin PSS tire sizes I want are backordered nationwide til the end of July.

I can wait but also wondering how ok an alternative Bridgestone Potenza S04s would be for both duties.i know the PSS will be superior for both (I'm a total track novice so I don't need serious street comp tires yet).

Would they serve me ok for the next 10k miles or so before I decide to switch them out?
The S-04 is also a very good tire, and a very popular pick for people looking to get a bit wet weather traction. Many have tried S-04 due to nonavailability of the SS and have been just as pleased with them.

Please call me if I can help.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

Similar situation to EDKWON above.

Have a 2015 Cayman GTS that I wish to compare to my Lotus Exige for track (DE) capability. Have some new 19" HRE FF01 wheels for the CGTS, 8-1/2 front and 10 rear. Michelin Cup2 availability per my preferred local tire dealer would allow me to get 245/35 for fronts but 275/35 are NA to him at the moment so I would have to use 265/35 for the rears. I am not interested in any other tire make/model. Can anyone share their experience with 19" Cup2 245-265 combo and possibly contrast it with 245-275 or 235-265 combos? Help would be much appreciated - TIA

PS -- he proposes installing HuF Intellisensors for TPMS. Says all good experience with these. Yall agree/disagree?
Old 07-08-2016, 11:20 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon

If the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec is available in your size, it is a good choice for a trackable street tire.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

New wheels & tyres installed this week, thanks to everyone for the recs to downsize wheels.

19" HRE FF01s + Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-04s

Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 PM
dshum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, how is the ride with the 19"?
Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 AM
popcornten
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in a similar situation and I'm picking up a set of 987.2 cayman S wheels in 18's. To keep things close to the 20"s on my 981 BS it looks like a 245/45-18 and 265/45-18 will run less than a 1% difference but that only leaves Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position or RE71R in those sizes (at least on TireRack).

I'm in blue group but still at the point that driver skill is the most important thing to improve. Any other ideas for a different size to run that stays so close? Are the Potenza S-04s decent for DE events with OK lifespan? No suspension work so can't adjust the camber out.

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS Tire/wheel advice