Track and autox tire only

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 PM
pyropete125
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track and autox tire only

Hi all,

I am looking to get a set of new tires for track days and autocross. I picked up a 87 924S for dirt cheap and sorted it out, fully gutted it and did a cage in it. I am just finishing up the adjustable suspension now.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11772...72574991177521

I plan on eventually trying to complete in SP1, but I need to get some DE days done and work my way up to it. Basically, until then, I want to have some fun in it and I want some good tires. I know I am limited in that class to tire/rim sizes.

The car came with the gold basket weaves -16x7/8 and now I also have the ronals with the same 16x7/8. The tire sizes are 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 and they fit well, with a safe bit of clearance. I think I could go slightly bigger, but I am not entirely sure.

Are hoosiers r6/r7 my best bet?

I am on a 24 hours of lemons team with a 924S and we run in front and back the dunlop direzza star spec 205/50-15 and I am very happy with the tire wear vs cost vs performance ratios.

Any suggestions or experience? Any ideas on slightly wider tires?

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by pyropete125; 05-28-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:35 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think an R7 is quite your next step. They are certainly excellent for dry traction, but have no wet capability and require your car setup to be correct to wear well. I would check out Dunlop Direzza Z2 Starspec tires. You say you have Dunlops now, but I'm not sure if yours are S2 tires. They are an extreme performance summer tire, so will give great dry traction, good wet grip, and wear a heck of a lot better than Hoosiers. It's a good "next step" to take while you get used to/dial in the car. Call me if I can help.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
pyropete125
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a track only car- no need for wet traction. I am not sure if you looked at some of the build pictures in the link.

The suspension is now adjustable, stiff coil overs front and rear, adjustable dampers, CC plates, big front sway bar and adjustable rear, and I have most of the bushings replaced with spherical bearings or custom nylon ones.

I think I can fit a 245/45-16 on a 8" rim in back [with the flares I have] but I am not sure about a 225/50-16 on a 7" rim in front with just a rolled fender.

On a different Lemons race car we run a direzza star spec, not this car that I built for myself for club racing.

Thanks
Pete

Quick Reply: Track and autox tire only