Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket affect warranty?

Old 01-06-2021, 08:30 PM
dw1836
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket affect warranty?

Recently bought a certified pre-owned 2018 Panamera with 21" stock wheels. I was planning on outfitting it with 22" aftermarket wheels, but I can't get a straight answer from the service department about whether it would affect my warranty. Can anyone share insight on this? Thanks
Old 01-10-2021, 07:13 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

It shouldn't explicitly nullify the warranty (you should still read the fine print), however, certain claims may not be honored. VW Group has become very strict this past decade with warranty claims on cars with any modifications.

Such claims I can think of might be premature wear on suspension bushings (not sure if that's in the warranty) or paint rash or rust in the vicinity of the wheel well.

Different wheels won't necessarily cause these things (but they can), but the service department will look for anything in order to not honor a claim.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-10-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 PM
dw1836
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the same apply if I get aftermarket wheels that are the same exact dimensions as the original OEM wheels?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:21 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dw1836
Does the same apply if I get aftermarket wheels that are the same exact dimensions as the original OEM wheels?
If the wheels match in all dimensions including offset, it certainly wouldn't make a difference. Technically diameter shouldn't matter if the tire diameter remains the same. If there is a claim and you can show paperwork that the wheels/tires you have exactly match an OE spec wheel (standard or optional), then they really have to honor it IMO. That said, I'm not a service manager. Each dealer is going to be different. I can't imagine they're going to give you a hard time for a wheel that has +/- a few mm of offset, half an inch of extra width, etc., let alone take a wheel off just to check the dimensions.

If you are concerned about warranty claims, I would research if Porsche equips an optional wheel in the size you like, then try to match the OE in all dimensions.

Worth saying that Porsche does do extensive testing with OEM wheel and tire sizes, so, in most cases, an OE size delivers optimal performance. Some sizes are better than others, but you won't know which unless you test them all on a track!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-10-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket affect warranty?