Notices

(OT) Driving Trip Idaho/Oregon/Montana -

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 AM
NewToThis
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (OT) Driving Trip Idaho/Oregon/Montana -

My wife and I will be going to a wedding in Whitefish MT at the end of June. We talked last night about doing a 10-14 day driving vacation after the wedding. We do have a friend that recently moved to Bend OR - who we would like to visit for 1-2 days. Aside from that we have "an open road map..."

Both of us have never been to that part of the US - so I'm looking for some help from you "locals" as to what places we might want to go to.

I have heard that Idaho Highway 20 is a wonderful drive...

Thanks -
Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've done road trips in that part of the world since, oh, 1972. yup. older than some........ High points (scenery, not stickyourneckout drivin): Glacier and Waterton Parks - several ways around/through that - stay in a cool old lodge. Yellowstone/Tetons area. Bend/Sisters is good but not spectacular like Gl and W. Columbia River Gorge is worthwhile. Cody, Wy? Hwy20 across N Washington State....don't know bout ID Hwy 20. As we all do, you can drive some of this with Google to see what might be appealing. Coming from IL, the Pacific coast is probably out of range, but Hwy 1 from WA to CA is unreal. Do that next time. Unkie
Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

A number of us have extensive experience with roads in OR, ID, MT & WY and there is a RLer who lives in the Kalispel MT (on Flathead Lake).

Will you be flying into Whitefish and renting a car or will you be piloting a P-car from home?

P.S. my youngest daughter is living in Bend for at least the next four months...
Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Many routes from Whitefish to Bend. Highlights and possible stops / routes in my opinion:
Columbia Gorge as previously noted
Blue Mountain Scenic Highway, through John Day to Bend
Highway 12 east to west through Idaho
Craters of the Moon National Monument in Id
Joseph Oregon and the Wallowa Range
Mount Ranier National Park
Mt St Helens National Monument. Just take it slow on National Forest Service Road 25 as its really bumpy.
Lots of desolate places in Eastern Washington and NE Oregon where radar detectors don't have obstructions.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Porsche Parade is in Spokane this year, the concours is on July 10 and is free to go see.

http://parade2017.pca.org
Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

If you are interested in Overlanding try one of the Backcountry Discovery Routes. http://ridebdr.com/
They provide maps and route guidance - there are bypasses for difficult portions but we have not had to use them. While they are geared for dual sports we take our Cayenne on BDR routes with no problems. Have done the WABDR, doing the Idaho IBDR this summer. Magruder Corridor from Elk City, ID to Darby, Mt. This will be approximately 180 miles. From Darby, we will hit the pavement for an 85 mile run North to Lolo MT. From Lolo we will use the Lolo Motorway to travel to Kamiah, ID. This will be about 145 miles.
One portion goes from ~4,000 feet to 8,000 then back down to 4,000 in ~60 miles.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Beartooth Hwy from Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:50 AM
olmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highway 20 from Eastern Oregon to Bend is just incredible. I took it last year driving West from Boise. The road starts out a bit boring but then then turns into this roller-coaster of turns and elevation changes, following a little river through a gorge.

I drove the road towards the end of the day and got lucky with light traffic. It was easily one of my most memorable drives in the USA.

Last edited by olmy; 04-30-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: (OT) Driving Trip Idaho/Oregon/Montana -