Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Wiveltracker
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed!!

Dear Rennlist community, greetings from Estonia

I was seeking some help when I build my 951 few years back then and I am going to seek for more help now. Let me introduce you to Wiveltracker (aka Wivel) - Worlds 1st activity tracker for cars and motorbikes that my team and I have been working for past 20 months.

https://vimeo.com/168308737

Long story short, after working for 2 years on the racetrack as marketing director and talking with many car enthusiasts and taking part in open track events I grew frustrated with available gadgets to measure time and performance because they were either inaccurate or very expensive. I realized that there are no devices specifically addressed to the car/bike enthusiast that are affordable, accurate and could serve as an open platform for app developers.

With that in mind I set out to develop an external device that can be paired with smartphones/tablets, is very accurate and affordable at the same time.

After nearly 2 years of hard work we have developed a device that is as accurate as any professional data logging device at a fraction of the cost. We ended up calling the device Wivel, short for Wise Velocity.

Data from wivel can be fed into a track day app like RaceChrono or Harrys Laptimer etc. to form very accurate overview of ones performance on the track. Or it can act as a performance meter to measure acceleration, breaking etc, fuel consumption checking and so on...

Wivel is developed and manufactured in Europe, Estonia so, no CHINA. We have done all the hardware development in house, means that we can offer the product for very reasonable price vs competition.

You can connect Wivel with any car or motorbike via small terminal or via OBDII plug.

More info can be found in our website Wiveltracker.com or in our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wiveltracker/.

The ones whe are curious about how its built and want to read more. Please follow our blog posts: Wivel

I kindly ask for your feedback and ideas what else would you expect from products like this?

Thank you in advance.
Markus

Last edited by Wiveltracker; 07-12-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Wiveltracker
Banned

Any Harry's Laptimer users here? Please share your experience and if you have used additional hardware to make most out of Harrys creation if doing so what you have missed from hardware side?

We made a small blog post about our venture with Harry:
http://www.wiveltracker.com/blog/new...arrys_laptimer
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I am a new Harry's user and have been using it with a QStartz 818XT GPS and an eBay ELM327 OBDII dongle. The performance of the OBDII dongle is very bad and makes the throttle/rpm/speed readings not as useful.

My car is a 2000 Porsche Boxster S and my device is a BLU R1 HD android phone, what sort of refresh rate would I possibly be able to get with those parameters?

Thanks!

Steve

PS I am pledged to the Racecapture on kickstarter, but it doesn't have in-app video capturing, so I was going to try and use it with Harry's. How does Wiveltracker compare with the upcoming Racecapture?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Wiveltracker
Banned

Hi Steve,

ebay ELM 327 dongle is not the best performing one. The rule applies here too, you get what you pay for. Im not saying it is bad but its just not made for precise measurement, means that there is few seconds lag in the readings..(rpm for example). There are other aspects as well, if your has CAN or non-standard OBD 2 protocol. CAN-bus is always faster acting than than OBD2 protocols + the sample rate is also related to manufacturers parameters, on older cars it is as low as 5hz, newer BMW-s you can get the data in 15-20hz range. If you want to boost your OBD2 performance i suggest you look for another dongle recommended by Harry.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android Plus there are a lot of information in the forum.

Bear in mind that those dongles are not purpose built for racing but there are few pretty good products out there and you would still need to use external GPS sensor to improve accuracy. There reason why we started to design Wivel was the fact that you get everything in one single device with next level accuracy.
http://www.wiveltracker.com/blog/new...e-obdii-device

Compare to Racecapture our device i can just compare features. Ours also works with motorbikes and go-carts + it has analog and digital inputs that you can add to customize your setup. I think the real comparison can be done after both of the products are on the market.

Thanks
Markus

Originally Posted by steved0x
I am a new Harry's user and have been using it with a QStartz 818XT GPS and an eBay ELM327 OBDII dongle. The performance of the OBDII dongle is very bad and makes the throttle/rpm/speed readings not as useful.

My car is a 2000 Porsche Boxster S and my device is a BLU R1 HD android phone, what sort of refresh rate would I possibly be able to get with those parameters?

Thanks!

Steve

PS I am pledged to the Racecapture on kickstarter, but it doesn't have in-app video capturing, so I was going to try and use it with Harry's. How does Wiveltracker compare with the upcoming Racecapture?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:53 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

I'm using Harry's on an iPad Mini with a GoPoint BT1A and a SkyPro XGPS160 on a 1999 Boxster, 2006 Boxster S and a 2006 M3. What benefit would your device offer?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:08 AM
Wiveltracker
Banned

Hi,

You would benefit from few things:

1. Purpose built for racing
2. 50hz gps + data fusion, that is making gps even more accurate
3. Single device - means that the stream to your phone will be coming just from one stream
4. OBD2 fault code view and erase (Via service app that we offer with our device)
5. Variable wire sets available - for clean install and for fast install
6. Analog and digital inputs for additional sensor configuration especially for your setup.
7. Once installed its invisible.
8. Works also on motorbikes or cars with no OBD2 go-Karts and so on.
9. Improved accuracy - you will be more satisfied with Harry's Laptimer using experience.

Originally Posted by BH987S
I'm using Harry's on an iPad Mini with a GoPoint BT1A and a SkyPro XGPS160 on a 1999 Boxster, 2006 Boxster S and a 2006 M3. What benefit would your device offer?

Quick Reply: Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed!!