Silverstone Metallic E39 M5 Dinan S1 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Vehicle Marketplace A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cars Search
Keyword:
Year:
(Range)
Make:
Model:
Cont. Porsche Models:
Mileage (numbers only please):
Color:
Price (no $ sign please):
Private or Dealer Listing:
Location (Region):
Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:
Category:
Price (no $ sign please):
Private or Vendor Listing:
Location (Region):
Item Condition:

Silverstone Metallic E39 M5 Dinan S1

Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Silverstone Metallic E39 M5 Dinan S1

Year: 2000
Make: BMW
Model: M5
Mileage (numbers only please): 116564
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Silverstone Metallic
VIN: WBSDE9341YBZ95290
Price (no $ sign please): $20000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

It pains me that the time has come to sell my beloved Silverstone Metallic 2000 BMW M5 (late build: updated Vanos cover and non-oil burning S62). By far the most iconic M car ever built by BMW. This is my 2nd E39 M5 and my 8th M car (I currently own an M4 and an E30 M3 project car), and I must say that the performance this car delivers is simply amazing. I am extremely **** with my cars, and I have left no stone unturned on this one. I've kept up to date with preventive and scheduled maintenance alike, as well as added some tasteful modifications to the already long list of Dinan upgrades. Absolutely no corners have been cut with this car. In my opinion, this makes for an awesome driver’s car everyday. The car is an absolute thrill to drive; the power is breathtaking and never fails to put a smile on your face. Silverstone Metallic is in my opinion one of the best colors offered on the E39 M5, next to Alpine White (my previous M5). Pictures do not do justice, you have to see the Silverstone Metallic in person to truly appreciate it. The interior is wrapped in extended black leather and alcantara headliner/pillars/accents. The reason I'm forced to sell the M5 is to make room for a 2017 911 Targa I just placed an order on. I'm sure this won’t be my last E39 M5.

Everything is 100% fully functional and in phenomenal condition. The black alcantara headliner is probably one of my favorite interior features. All four cup holders work as they should, the OBC display and Nav are fully functional with no dead/missing pixels, and the car drives like the beast is was, if not better than when it left the Dingolfing plant in Germany.

This car is 1 of 293 ever to be sold in Silverstone Metallic, and 1 of 142 offered with full black leather from the factory. What makes this car stand out is the sport leather stitched dash in signature M tricolor fashion as well as rear folding seats. The majority of E39’s had a metal panel behind the rear seats for sound deadening but this car does not have that. To say that this is a one of a kind E39 M5 would be an understatement. The Dinan upgrades coupled with the other enhancements truly make this car stand out. The front plate bracket is fully removable if you live in a state that doesn’t require a front plate.

This is Dinan Serial Number S10527. This car is eligible to wear the Dinan badge as it has met the "10 or more points" criteria with Dinan performance products. The previous owner did not affix the badge, nor was it included in the sale. Dinan will provide one free of charge if you provide them with VIN, serial number, and proof of ownership. I never really felt the urge to get the badge, but would be willing to do so for the future owner.

The Dinan components on this car are as follows:

- DinanTronics Stage 2 Engine Software (Stage 1): 3 points
- Shockware Transmission Software: 1 point
- Dinan Short Shift Kit: 1 point
- Dinan high performance bushing kit: 1 point

*Prior to my ownership the car had a Dinan free flow exhaust, which Dinan gives 3 points for, however it was a bit loud for my liking and I decided to swap out for a pair of Eisenmann sport mufflers with a fellow E39 M5 owner/collector, which give the car an absolutely perfect tone. With the current setup the car sounds absolutely intoxicating, zero drone at any RPM, very quiet for the most part until you mash the throttle – that's when you hear the true colors of the iconic S62 motor. Additionally, the previous owner removed the Dinan aluminum cold air intake system, which is also 3 points, and put the stock setup back. Lastly, the car had a Dinan strut brace, however I’m not sure how many points that called for. After reading the forums, a lot of owners actually preferred the AFE cold air intake setup to the Dinan setup, so I took a gamble and ordered that system and it makes an enourmous difference coupled with the DinanTronics software. In total this S1 had accumulated 12 points, and frankly, with having the new awesome Eisenmann exhaust setup and AFE intake, it feels just as awesome as it would with the Dinan components.*

Additionally, there are some non-Dinan upgrades I have done on the car as well which include:

- aFe Power Magnum Force Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System
- Eisenmann Sport Mufflers (retained OEM resonator and catalytic converters)
- Supersprint Tubolare Performance Headers
- AC Schnitzer Rear Sway Bar

Maintenance wise, within the past 300 miles I have had the following performed with OEM components via BMW of Morristown and Broadway Performance in Clifton, NJ:

- Front sway bar end links
- Rear sway bar end links
- Front curved control arms
- Outer tie rod ends
- Front straight control arms
- Camshaft position sensors x2 (both banks)
- Throttle position sensors x2 (both banks)
- OEM throttle actuator
- Rear integral links
- Rear ball joints
- Rear CV boots
- Rear axle assembly (exchange output shaft and collar nut)
- Idler arm
- Vanos rebuild, sensors, and seals
- OEM thermostat, with 100% fresh BMW factory coolant
- OEM clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing
- 4 Riken Raptor ZR performance street tires (275/35-18, 245/40-18)
- 4 wheel high speed computer Hunter alignment
- Stoptech pads and slotted Stoptech rotors
- Crankcase vent valves
- Full Synthetic 10w60 LiquiMoly oil and Mahle filter
- NGK Iridium spark plugs (x8)
- 2x OEM Cabin air filters
- Power steering flush
- Brake fluid flush
- OEM Hella angel eye headlights (retained factory D2S Xenon ballasts)
- DEPO 2001-2003 Euro tail lights
- OEM Bosch windshield wipers
- Brand new OEM E39 M5 floor mats with heavy duty heel pad
- OEM 16.9 Navigation
- OEM MKIII radio system with updated firmware
- OEM 2001-2003 Instrument cluster replaced by BMW (no dead pixels)
- OEM 2001-2003 M5 steering wheel (all buttons functional)
- ECS Tuning carbon fiber flat rear diffuser
- ECS Tuning matte black kidney grills to match the bumper trim

I have a binder full of receipts and service invoices handed from the previous owners from the birth of the car which add up to a total of $35,156.97 from the first oil change up until the last service performed during my ownership of the vehicle.

Car comes with complete original BMW tool kit, tire inflator, and bumper guard. Original parts are included with the sale. Car has a clear NJ State title in my name as well as a clean Carfax and Autocheck report. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions whatsoever or if you'd like to chat about the car.

*Would consider a trade for a lifted JK Wrangler with a V8 or something very similar to that configuration*

Thank you for reading.
Attached Images

Last edited by AfroThunder; Yesterday at 03:46 AM. Reason: Adding close-up photo of Dinan serial number plaque
AfroThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
lee88
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder View Post
All four cup holders work as they should
Love this part of your very well written description. Great looking E39 M5, good driver esp for those with kiddie for back seat. GLWS.
lee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
brian0473
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great car and good job with your description. Question - any curbing at all on any of the wheels? Any dings or notable flaws anywhere in the paint or interior? Curious in particular about the driver side bolster.
brian0473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0473 View Post
Great car and good job with your description. Question - any curbing at all on any of the wheels? Any dings or notable flaws anywhere in the paint or interior? Curious in particular about the driver side bolster.
Thanks Brian, As far as dings go the body is perfectly straight- minimal road chips visible in the paint. But it's 100% original. As far as the wheels are concerned, front passenger was pretty bad so I had it replaced with a factory Style 65 Shadow Chrome M5 wheel (new). Otherwise nothing crazy. Interior is flawless, but if I wanted to be picky I'd nitpick on the driver side bolster on the seat. No tears or anything, just shows it's age especially being black leather. I have an appointment to get a leather/interior treatment later this week.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
Love this part of your very well written description. Great looking E39 M5, good driver esp for those with kiddie for back seat. GLWS.
Thank you for the kind words! Hah! The cupholders are interesting in these...if I end up keeping the 'ol girls, I've found a retrofit cupholder tray that sits where the OEM cupholders swing out that I would definitely buy. All in all an amazing driver, I've lusted after this car since the Guy Ritchie BMW film with Clive Owen and the E39 M5 came out back in I think late 2000!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still for sale, buyer fell through.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
lee88
Addict
Rennlist Member

How's the motor doing in this car at 116K miles? Any issues with oil consumption or have you had compression tested recently? Has this one had any work done on bottom end (e.g. rod bearings which I know are an issue on these S62 motors or rods)?

Just curious as I know these can last quite a long time, but given the aluminum motor a conventional rebuild is not as feasible. Sounds like you're very familiar with the E39 M5s. Thanks.
lee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
white98ls
New User

As a former owner of another of the 142 Silverstone on full black leather E39 M5s (sold it to a good local friend in 2015 after 6.5 years... only way I'd let it go), this one looks great and the color is truly fantastic. Really miss the way Silverstone looks different in varied conditions. A truly awesome color and I got a ton of compliments on it - a friend of mine recently bought a Silverstone II E90 M3 based on how much he liked the color on my E39.

116k isn't a real concern IMO. E39 M5s have some minor, annoying issues that need to be addressed (and it looks like the owner here has), but the motor is strong. Mine had 95k when I sold it and believe me, it pulled plenty strong and oil consumption was reasonable (about 1qt every 5k).
white98ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
How's the motor doing in this car at 116K miles? Any issues with oil consumption or have you had compression tested recently? Has this one had any work done on bottom end (e.g. rod bearings which I know are an issue on these S62 motors or rods)?

Just curious as I know these can last quite a long time, but given the aluminum motor a conventional rebuild is not as feasible. Sounds like you're very familiar with the E39 M5s. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
As a former owner of another of the 142 Silverstone on full black leather E39 M5s (sold it to a good local friend in 2015 after 6.5 years... only way I'd let it go), this one looks great and the color is truly fantastic. Really miss the way Silverstone looks different in varied conditions. A truly awesome color and I got a ton of compliments on it - a friend of mine recently bought a Silverstone II E90 M3 based on how much he liked the color on my E39.

116k isn't a real concern IMO. E39 M5s have some minor, annoying issues that need to be addressed (and it looks like the owner here has), but the motor is strong. Mine had 95k when I sold it and believe me, it pulled plenty strong and oil consumption was reasonable (about 1qt every 5k).
Thanks! Just like white98ls said, they're pretty rock solid for the most part. A lot of people compare the S62 motor (E39 M5) to the S65 motor (E39 M3), and the one of the most common attributes to the older M5 motor is "bulletproof"

The PO on this car was extremely **** about maintaining it in every way. That's partly why they saved almost $36,000 in service invoices since 2000 and included them in the sale he actually had the rod bearings done with Bavarian Motorsport a few years ago with minimal miles on it.

I did a compression test and she passed with flying colors, to my surprise! Oil burn hasn't been an issue as of yet, I've put slightly under 5k miles on the car, and I suppose this being a late build, the oil consumption issue is not as big as it was in the 1999 production units. Ive kept a liter of 10w60 Liqui Moly in the trunk but haven't had to crack it open just yet.

I took the car to my local BMW dealer (BMW of Morristown) and they were very impressed with the condition and the only fail on the PPI was the windshield wipers! You know it's a good day when that's your only issue

Rather than give them the $98.50 to do the job, I hopped on ECS Tuning, ordered an OE pair (these have funny brackets) for $30 and boom, got it done.

As white98ls said, it's a strong motor and Silverstone Metallic is hands down one of the better colors (I have a soft spot for Alpine White, owned a "unicorn spec" Alpine White before this...basically Alpine White on tan interior). Mechanically I would give this car 110%. I've never skipped out or cut corners maintenance wise, I'd say I'm about more or less $10,000 deep into it. Always taken to the dealer or approved BMW indy. I feel way more comfortable working on my 911 SC and 944 Turbo, but in terms of DIY, there's a ton of people on the E39 M5 Owner's group on Facebook who do anything and everything themselves, however, being a "unique" motor (ITB's, somewhat finicky, etc.) I've felt more comfortable breaking the wallet on it and taking it to the dealer.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

*Update* got the Dinan badge through Dinan in California after verifying the car, so the next owner can choose as to whether or not they'd like to sport the extra bling
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM   #11
AfroThunder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Flash price drop!!

UPDATES: had the rear bumper repainted by a BMW specialty body shop, Dinan badge is on the car (had Dinan send it to me for free after providing proof of modifications and S/N)

Just want/need it gone to make room for the new guy